PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Leather Combo....

Pages : [1] 2

Redfireshaker06
04-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Hopefully I didn't make another mistake on a purchase. I have a 2006 Ford Mustang GT and added Roush RTC seat covers. Suede centers, actually Alcantra. Anyways, I purchased the pinnacle combo. And on it it says cleans and protects, then at the end of the description on the bottle, it says except suede. Is it going to hurt my seats using this stuff?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/Mustang2002nx/MustangWeekandseats044.jpg

judyb
04-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Don't use the products on the Alcantara as these are fabric and the products will ruin them.

Redfireshaker06
04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I wouldnt do that. But how do i get close to the edges of the leather without getting some on it?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Redfireshaker06
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
If I don't intentionally get it on the alcantra. As in, actually apply it to the suede and its just run off. If its just the conditioner. Will that be a problem?

Redfireshaker06
04-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Kind of thought I would get a little more input.

Bamaboy007
04-03-2012, 07:15 AM
I'll make it as simple as I can...Do NOT use those products on the Alcantra Seating....only use it on the Leather portion of the seats.

Redfireshaker06
04-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks, but thats not my concern.... i know not to APPLY it to the suede

Mike Phillips
04-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Alcantara is a really great looking material and the worst design in fabric for the average person to figure out a way to maintain it.

My advice is to always avoid any car with an Alcantara interior unless you're Mr. Clean in living flesh.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Mr.jpg

Posts like this are the norm for people with cars with Alcantara interiors, it's always the same thing...

How do I clean my Alcantara interior
How do I remove a stain from my Alcantara interior
How do I maintain my Alcantara interior

All great questions but the truth is because it's a type of suede there will never be any "easy" and "fast" way to work on, remove stains from or even maintain this type of material. Normal leather or vinyl is always going to be a much easier material to take care of and live with.

That said, whenever posts like this come up all I do is go to the Advanced Search Option

Click here to go to the Advanced Search Option (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php)

And type in the word,

Alcantara

And then locate the below thread where I posted the related links and then "quote" myself and post my quote over in this thread, like this,

what to use to clean suede??? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/21419-what-use-clean-suede.html)

Welcome to suede...

Do a search using the word suede as I think I saw someone post a successful method they used to the forum but don't remember where.

Usually you're limited to a vacuum and a lint brush as applying most cleaning liquids is going to alter how the suede looks.

Here's a website that discusses how to work on Alcantara, which I think is functionally like suede.

General (http://int.alcantara.com/#/en/menu/the_material/maintenance/ordinary_maintenance) washing instructions

Washing[/URL (http://int.alcantara.com/#/en/menu/the_material/maintenance/washing_instructions)]

Stain ([URL]http://int.alcantara.com/#/en/menu/the_material/maintenance/stains_removal) Removal

The stain removal link does a good job of breaking down stains into either Water-soluble stains or Non Water-soluble stains and the remedies.

Still doesn't read like it's easy and you have to be careful so anyone reading this thread and trying to remove stains out of Alcantara use your own judgment when following the instructions from the above website or any website.

Good luck...

:)

Read all the information provided in the link and then best of luck to you...

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
If I don't intentionally get it on the alcantra. As in, actually apply it to the suede and its just run off. If its just the conditioner. Will that be a problem?

My guess is if you get ANY type of liquid clean on the suede the potential exists for it to change the appearance to some level.

Seriously... this material will easily show changes if you get any chemicals on it... heck even water might leave a stain.

I posted some links to a website with very specific information on how to work with Alcantara. The interface for the reading material is horrible but go to the links, let the pages load and read the information and I think it will give you the information and direction you need for your seats.

I wish I could post happier information... as for me I have and will avoid ever owning any seats made using Alcantara or suede in any fashion.

I remember Meguiar's had a Honda Race Car of some sorts, real fancy job and it had Alcantara or some type of suede used in the interior and even my friends at Meguiar's fully understood what a paint it was to maintain and if something went wrong... work on it...

For the most part, they kept a lint roller in the glove box.

:dblthumb2:

steeda
04-03-2012, 08:46 AM
I do not use anything but Woolite 7:1 (7 parts water to 1 part Woolite). Using a spray bottle, lightly mist a terry cloth towel with the Woolite mixture and blot the dirty or stained area. This method will get most dirt and stains out. If you have a tougher stain you may want to lightly agitate the soiled area with a ultra soft brush and then blot with a dry terry cloth towel.Used this method on my Cobra when I had the 03/04 Cobra seats in it and they looked like new.

With that said, it is NOT the recommended process that the manufacturer recommends. Here is a link to a pdf that has their instructions.

http://int.alcantara.com/uploadedFiles/files/maintenance_instructions.pdf

Mike Phillips
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I do not use anything but Woolite 7:1 (7 parts water to 1 part Woolite).

Just to back up Kristin, Woolite is the only readily available product I've heard others to have good luck with.

If it were my seat I would be most inclined to probably wet the entire seat if I were to treat it so there's a uniformity to the cleaning process.

All too often when working on a material like this you'll see a ring or edge to where liquid starts and ends. If you wet the entire seat there won't be a line/ring/edge separating what was worked on and what was left untouched.

Hope that helps a little...

:xyxthumbs:

steeda
04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Just to back up Kristin, Woolite is the only readily available product I've heard others to have good luck with.

If it were my seat I would be most inclined to probably wet the entire seat if I were to treat it so there's a uniformity to the cleaning process.

All too often when working on a material like this you'll see a ring or edge to where liquid starts and ends. If you wet the entire seat there won't be a line/ring/edge separating what was worked on and what was left untouched.

Hope that helps a little...

Who is Kristin? :laughing:

Mike you did make a good point about the ring being a possibility if you spot clean. Per your advice, you could mist the entire Alcantra portion of the seat with the Woolite mixture to get a uniform look. My method works for me because my seats were in like new condition and I rarely drive the Cobra. So if I did have to clean it the blot method worked great. My method may or may not yield the desired results for others which is why in all doubt, refer to the manufacturers recommendations.

Mike Phillips
04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Who is Kristin? :laughing:

Sorry, I get you two confused because your forum nicknames are similar...

It's called typing faster than I'm thinking...

Redfireshaker06
04-03-2012, 10:46 AM
My problem is not cleaning the alcantra. Its getting some on it when using pinnacle conditioner. Will the conditioner pull color?

steeda
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
My problem is not cleaning the alcantra. Its getting some on it when using pinnacle conditioner. Will the conditioner pull color?

I used medical foam tip applicators to apply the conditioner where I was worried about it getting into the Alcantra. My mother is a nurse so I just had her get them for me so I cant point you in a direction to get them. They are flat tipped and about 1/2" wide. They also work great for interior detailing.