PDA

View Full Version : Anyon use Optimum cutting disc with D300?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Capa1970
03-29-2012, 07:45 PM
I am wondering if anyone has used the new Optimum microfiber cutting discs with Meguiar's D300? I would love to hear of your experience and what you thought of the combo.

SpoiledMan
03-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Cuts decently but did leave more hazing than the Meg's cutting disc. Cleaned up easily with a polishing pad and FPII. This was using a PCXP on a black SL Mercedes.

Capa1970
03-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Cuts decently but did leave more hazing than the Meg's cutting disc. Cleaned up easily with a polishing pad and FPII. This was using a PCXP on a black SL Mercedes.

I suppose following it up with a white flat pad or tangerine Hydrotech pad would remove any hazing or possible marring.
I just bought both products recently and wanted to try them on my silver GS400 Lexus, which has waterspots on the hood. I wasn't ure if this combo would be considered "unholy." ;)

Setec Astronomy
03-30-2012, 07:03 AM

So is the extra cut worth the hazing over the Meg's cutting disc? I've been psyched to try the Optimum MF's but the original price advantage seems to have evaporated. They do have the 4" size which Meg's doesn't, and we have at least one member who likes the Opts on Flex 3401.

Capa1970
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM
The reason I went with Optimum was because of the separation problems that Meg had with their microfiber cutting discs. Also, since the Optimum discs had come out later, I assumed that they were a better, evolved beast. I will be testing them out next weekend.

Anyone else have any experience with the Optimum mf cutting discs and D300?

SpoiledMan
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
This was my first time using the Opt pads. I didn't really test them to see which cut better. I could've one stepped the car with the Meg's pad and it would've been close enough for what was desired. The Opt disc wouldn't have allowed this. I used a 9006 to remove the haze.

crxman2010
04-01-2012, 12:32 AM
What about using Optimum Polishing pad for a one step? Any reason not too? I believe the Megs system the MF is the same on both cutting/polishing pad just a difference of foam density.

ski2
04-01-2012, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=Setec Astronomy;646935] I've been psyched to try the Optimum MF's but the original price advantage seems to have evaporated. QUOTE]
I've seen a six pack of Opt 5.25 discs (mix and match cut and polish) for $50

Capa1970
04-01-2012, 09:50 AM
What about using Optimum Polishing pad for a one step? Any reason not too? I believe the Megs system the MF is the same on both cutting/polishing pad just a difference of foam density.

I haven't tried their mf polishing pad but there seem to be quite a few people here that prefer to finish with foam. Next week I plan to use the Optimum mf cutting pad on the hood on my car with D300. Then, if it works out well (since I'm experimenting), I intend to follow up with the AIO Duragloss 501 on the tangerine Hydrotech pads. The paint is Silver and so I should be fine.

Danube
04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Haven't used optimum pads, but D300 works better then many compound, on any pad.

HotWhipT/A
04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Haven't used optimum pads, but D300 works better then many compounds, on any pad.

Same here. I just had to use a yellow pad with that stuff on a 1996 Viper. That paint is TOUGH! It worked pretty well and finished down better than using the MF pads for the compound stage.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Cuts decently but did leave more hazing than the Meg's cutting disc. .
Interesting. I want to buy the OPT 3" cutting discs because of the ridiculous separating that goes along with the 3" Meg's discs.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Just got word that the delaminating issue of the Meg's 3" pads has recently been resolved. :dunno:

john b
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
do you run the opt.the same speed you would the megs pads?

crxman2010
04-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I haven't tried their mf polishing pad but there seem to be quite a few people here that prefer to finish with foam. Next week I plan to use the Optimum mf cutting pad on the hood on my car with D300. Then, if it works out well (since I'm experimenting), I intend to follow up with the AIO Duragloss 501 on the tangerine Hydrotech pads. The paint is Silver and so I should be fine.

:iagree: on the foam for finishing. I have followed the microfiber pad up with polish II on a white pad if there was any noticeable marring (normal specially on black) and if it finished out well I would drop to a black pad with polish II or final polish.

Far as the optimum cutting pad and 300 and possible issues, remember, in the Megs line up the cutting pad is the same as the polishing pad but with denser foam. So if you wanted the equivalent cut/finish of Megs Cutting/300 you would probably need to get Optimum Polishing Pad with 300.