PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys judge the durability of a wax?

kimtt
03-28-2012, 12:56 AM
I am not sure if I tested correctly, I calculate the time of continuous washes until the water beading ability is gone.
If the water beading is gone but still sheeting, does it means the wax still there?

Kaban
03-28-2012, 09:07 AM
if it sheets then yes it's still there. sometimes overtime the beading will greatly diminish but it will still sheet. i prefer the beading so when that disappears, I just reapply the product.

Larry A
03-28-2012, 09:46 AM
I drive between 30 mph and 40 mph , if the water blows off the hood there is wax on the car , if not ,wax is gone.

Mike Phillips
03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Just to chime in...

A chemist friend of mine once told me some of the best protecting polymers used for car waxes and paint sealants don't bead water very well, that is they don't create surface tension.

For what its worth...

:)

Black Car
03-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Just to chime in...

A chemist friend of mine once told me some of the best protecting polymers used for car waxes and paint sealants don't bead water very well, that is they don't create surface tension.

For what its worth...

i would like to know more about this. any articles you can link? how would you test if a wax is still there mike?

tmoney82
03-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Just to chime in...

For what its worth...

:wow:

iceman978
03-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Interesting point Mike. I have tried a number of waxes over the last few years and had different beading results. I find Collinite #845 beads very well, in fact I still have great beading on my truck which I waxed in November. However, I used some DP carnuba based Max Wax on my car around the same time and got some beading but never as much as I got with the #845. I still have the slick finish and look on the DP car but just not the beading. I wash both vehicles weekly (sometimes twice a week!) and always top them with Pinacle Liquid Souveran spray wax (which really helps to maintain the slick look and shine). Just my observations....

rwright
03-31-2012, 02:37 PM
I measure durability in comparison to Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish. :D

Perfections
03-31-2012, 03:01 PM
I measure durability in comparison to Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish. :D

Lol agreed!

Bernard
03-31-2012, 09:00 PM
IMO what I notice on my parked car, I find tht if the beading diminished my car is cleaner after a rain.

Becoz the dust would settle into the water bead. But all waxes i have, will bead. So its unavoidable. But after a week of applied wax/sealant the beading would diminished. I am like Kaban, when the beading diminish I would apply another coat coz i like beading. So I apply every week. Altho i know sheeting is better. Also the initial fresh wax shine has diminished as well after the rain.