PDA

View Full Version : Considering A Car Cover

oakview
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
My new F-150 with a cab-high Snugtop lives outside and sits a good deal of the time. I'm retired, don't drive it very often, and am looking to protect it as much as is practical. Considering a car cover, I looked through the Covercraft covers here and didn't see a Noah offered for the F-150.

Perhaps I'd better ask for opinions before pursuing this more.

Where can I get a cover for this size vehicle, or is it just plain a bad idea?

Flash Gordon
03-27-2012, 08:20 PM
The only problem with a cover is that if your car/truck is even dusty (much less dirty) your going to scratch the paint

Also, applying a cover is a two man job. Are you going to have another person avaliable to help when you put it on and take it off?

Furthermore, If a gust of wind catches it is going to beat the crap out of the side of your car/truck

Wish I had better news to report

Flash

PS Covers work great on garage queens

oakview
03-27-2012, 08:28 PM
What you said make perfect sense. I do live in a dusty area (livestock nearby) and being on the side of a hill we often get some pretty strong winds.

We live in a typical tract home with a 20 ft. concrete apron that serves as a driveway into the garage. I thought about building a canopy using metal pipe to support shadecloth or purchasing a portable canopy. Anyone ever build their own? How did it hold up?

Flash Gordon
03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
What you said make perfect sense. I do live in a dusty area (livestock nearby) and being on the side of a hill we often get some pretty strong winds.

We live in a typical tract home with a 20 ft. concrete apron that serves as a driveway into the garage. I thought about building a canopy using metal pipe to support shadecloth or purchasing a portable canopy. Anyone ever build their own? How did it hold up?

Building some type of lean-to is going to be your best bet

I built one for my german sheppard once, but you probally don't want my advice on that so I'll save it for someone else

I wish I had a better answer for you

jsgntulok
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
"Furthermore, If a gust of wind catches it is going to beat the crap out of the side of your car/truck"

And, those gusts of wind will blow dust and dirt up under the cover that will futher abrade the paint as the cover flaps up and down and around and around on your truck.

forrest@mothers
03-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Ask the folks at autogeek to contact Covercraft for a custom made cover. It only takes a couple of days. They did one for our GT3RS.

Custom fit covers, with mirror pockets, will stay in place - I use one when I park at the airport. If you lock the cover on, it'll stay tight against the paint so you don't have to worry about it shifting. Or, on a custom made, ask them to put 2 sets of locking grommets - to the inside of each set of tires.

One person can install and remove a cover. It just requires folding the sides up to the top middle, then rolling rear to front. To reinstall, just reverse the process.

SkateForGirl
03-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I was going to say if you have a garaged car that you clean everytime before you put it in the garage then you should be fine. If this is a daily then your better off not getting one.

oakview
03-29-2012, 01:45 AM
I think I'm going to go without a cover. Custom fit, although a great idea, is too much dinero for me. Likely I'll put up a metal tubing canopy with a durable cover material. Just have to figure out how to get the most bang for the bucks I have.

I have seen some nice ones for sale, but pricey. Craigslist might just be my friend with enough persistence. :)

Flash Gordon
03-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I think I'm going to go without a cover. Custom fit, although a great idea, is too much dinero for me. Likely I'll put up a metal tubing canopy with a durable cover material. Just have to figure out how to get the most bang for the bucks I have.

I have seen some nice ones for sale, but pricey. Craigslist might just be my friend with enough persistence. :)

I think your making the right decision. I've seen countless covers jammed in ppl's trunk that never use them because its to much trouble

Invest that $400 in renting a post hole digger, a few 4x4's, cement, 1/2" plywood and shingles

oakview
08-08-2012, 06:04 PM
UPDATE:

After a lengthy delay, much thought and research online, I ended up purchasing an all metal canopy from Versatube (http://www.versatube.com/). I needed a special size to fit the available driveway space without hanging out over the sidewalk and they were able to put something together at no additional cost.

The shelter costs more than a good cloth covered one, but the 20 year warranty and resistance to wind is well worth it. Not really portable, but I didn't need it to be. Looks like the image below.

ScottB
08-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Covercraft ... there is indeed a difference.

Drunken Yak inc
08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
One person can install and remove a cover. It just requires folding the sides up to the top middle, then rolling rear to front. To reinstall, just reverse the process.

:xyxthumbs: Except I roll mine back to front. It takes maybe two minutes to uncover, roll up and then place the cover in it's protective bag.

oakview
09-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Finally got around to getting a photo of the completed truck shelter, 10'x16', all metal, all made right here in the USA, 20 year warranty. At 650 lbs. it ain't going anywhere, especially with 10 1/2"x6" concrete anchors holding it down. I've since put heavy shade cloth on both sides all the way to the bottom rail. It's not really movable, but I don't need it to be, and I'm very happy with the shelter. BTW, both vehicles have been DIY detailed with products I've learned about from the many very helpful folks that hang around this forum. Thank you all so much! :)

Flash Gordon
09-24-2012, 05:46 AM
That will be much more effective then a car cover. Thanks for posting an update

I split my head wide open once on a carport cover like that. Those edges are brutal. Be carefull!