PDA

View Full Version : New extractor really worth it?

Moses
03-26-2012, 11:41 PM
I have a dilemma on whether to buy an extractor or not. I tried going the shop vac route to save money and bought a 6HP RIGID vac from my local HD store. I had a hard time taking stains off my car's upholstery and carpets. I used folex and agitated and looked like the stains would come off but after extraction some stains remained. it was a pain in the arse too.

I am a cheap guy so i try to buy used when i can. So I have been searching on craigs like a maniac but with no luck. So is a New extractor really worth the money? the cheapest one i found is a Mytee lite 2 8070 for $690 OTD. if i had money to burn i would just go for it but i am 80% short lol and was thinking of digging into my savings if the purchase worth it.

I am just starting out and doing this as a hobby for now. My brother in law wants me to detail his Honda Odyssey and civic, and wants the interior shampoo. but his cars are worst than mine " he has 5 little girls". I would also benefit from it to clean my owns cars that are dirty at the moment. What would you guys do in my situation

AKmikeSSter04
03-27-2012, 12:20 AM
I like to try and save too. I've been using folex or diluted megs apc and just scrubbing with a brush. I then use my Stanley wet dry vac to extract and its been working well for me. I saw that there are brush attachments for Porter cables, that might help with scrubbing stubborn stains.

Vegas Transplant
03-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Suggestion:You never know what you'll find (http://youtu.be/vp0UAMMKSsE)

Just kidding hand...but seriously.
Happy detailing...:buffing:

darkstar752
03-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Moses, check out the Bissel Little Green Machine Proheat. I believe they go for around $90 now and works well as a mini-extractor. It has decent suction, not much compared to a $700 extractor but enough to pull a lot of water out of the carpet and have them dry in ~2 hours. The Proheat version will add about 20 degrees to the already heated water(hot from the sink) so I would recommend that one.

Moses
03-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you guys for the feedback, I will look into the LGM, and have never visited a pawn shop but now i think i will. I did come across a used extractor tho, its a Mytee 1001Dx-200 Speedster for $500, What do you guys think? it only has the big carpet wand tho. can i buy a crevice tool/wand and upholstery tool/wand for it ?

ScubaCougr
03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I did come across a used extractor tho, its a Mytee 1001Dx-200 Speedster for $500,hink? it only has the big carpet wand tho. can i buy a crevice tool/wand and upholstery tool/wand for it ?

Yes, you can buy the crevice tool and upholstery wand. IIRC they are about $100 each at most places.

After obsessing for many months, I bought a Mytee II last month, and it makes life SO much easier. No regrets. I also paid just $760 delivered, brand new after mad Google searching all over the place. A used model for $500, then adding $100-200 in wands doesn't scream deal of a lifetime, just an OK one, IMO.

opie_7afe
03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
i wouldnt bother with the LGM, just get a reducer fitting and purchase the nozzle itself, the lgm suction rating i can bet its lower then your rigid, sure it sprays solution, so cant a 10$ pump sprayer. works great for me, these nozzles work because the slot where it suctions from is very small so giving more suction per square inch means more is extracted. i tried with and without and was a huge difference with a nozzle change...however if i had the money id buy a mytee lite 2 no questions asked!

Moses
03-27-2012, 11:57 PM
thanks for the feedback everybody, i will update on what i decide

slickooz
03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Here a 50/50 of seat I'm doing right now. I got mine for about 60 dollars. The LGM is a great machine, it will work if you don't have a lot of interior to do. It takes couple more passes and a lot of elbow grease. If you have the clients and have money I would skip LGM and get a mytee lite ii.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i461/bigslickdetailing/IMG_8692.jpg

Here a quick video of suction from this machine. I think for what it cost you can't complain. I'm planning on buying an extractor very soon.

LGM - YouTube