PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Compound not cutting...

noooorb
03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey guys I just got around to detailing my dad's 2005 Altima (will post pics later). It wasn't too cared for until now (before I became an autopian), but it definitely wasn't very neglected either. It was at a machine car wash maybe twice.
I get around to it and after claying, I notice light swirls in the paint. I didn't think I had would have any problem with it. I tried OP on a lc white pad (PC on 6) with no luck - ok so I go to OC on a orange pad, and the swirls are still there. At this point I was a little suprised, and moved to OC on a yellow pad. I worked that in well (I know Optimum products take a while to work in) but still, the swirls were there. Arggg.
From browsing these forums in the past, I know that others have gotten worse swirls out with less aggressive products, so I am wondering what went wrong?
I've had great results with OP before, and this is my first time trying to use OC (the new formula). I finished the detail and the car looks good, but I am not happy knowing the swirls are still there.

PS. The swirls really showed only under direct sunlight, and not really under halogen light.

BILL
03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Did you breakdown the polish enough.........

noooorb
03-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I truly believe I did. Again, I know Optimum products take a while to break down and I took my time.

CalgaryDetail
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I have a ocuple quetions then i can help more..

1. what speed did you use on the pc?
2. what was the weather like, i have found when its cold it dosent work as well
3. what was the time fraim of each pannel, you siad you went slow but how slow.

Im sure with more info i can be more of a help

ohh yeah and may seem like a stupid question but i have seen it more then a few times. Did you shake the bottle? ... please dont get offended I have seen this probley half a dozen times

Nuke33
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Yea, it takes a long time to work it in. bring it to almost dusting moving your arm about an inch a sec. Push the bad down until it stops moving and back it off till it spins again that will give you the right preasure. Move in oper laping lines and go in differnet directions

ScottB
03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
time and speed are likely the culprits to a less than stellar experience with Optimum polishes/compounds. They need to work about twice as long as normal polishes, and when using a PC need some serious speed as it does not transfer alot of heat.

BILL
03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
time and speed are likely the culprits to a less than stellar experience with Optimum polishes/compounds. They need to work about twice as long as normal polishes, and when using a PC need some serious speed as it does not transfer alot of heat.

He says he had it on 6.......:confused:

Bence
03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
One important thing is the actual amount he used. One BIG NONO with Optimum polishes is overapplication. Because of their stable, well lubricated buffing film, the abrasives can not reach the surface and they are losing their effectivity. So, noooorb, use less product. Then you can increase pressure as well.

Typical amount of an Optimum polish on a primed pad:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/DSC00320c.jpg

noooorb
03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I have a ocuple quetions then i can help more..

1. what speed did you use on the pc?
2. what was the weather like, i have found when its cold it dosent work as well
3. what was the time fraim of each pannel, you siad you went slow but how slow.

Im sure with more info i can be more of a help

ohh yeah and may seem like a stupid question but i have seen it more then a few times. Did you shake the bottle? ... please dont get offended I have seen this probley half a dozen times

1. I used it at 5-6 speed setting on the PC.
2. I believe the weather was about 55F at the time that I was polishing.
3. It's hard to say. I made several slow passes, but looking back I might have went too fast.
Yes I shook the bottles (no offense taken, I've made that mistake in the past)

And I probably used too much product when compared to what Bence is suggesting.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try again in a few days.

But it seems like Optimum products on a PC do not go together too well if it requires so much time on a single panel. I might have to try Poorboys SSR line.

nick19
03-12-2007, 11:42 PM
1. I used it at 5-6 speed setting on the PC.
2. I believe the weather was about 55F at the time that I was polishing.
3. It's hard to say. I made several slow passes, but looking back I might have went too fast.
Yes I shook the bottles (no offense taken, I've made that mistake in the past)

And I probably used too much product when compared to what Bence is suggesting.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try again in a few days.

But it seems like Optimum products on a PC do not go together too well if it requires so much time on a single panel. I might have to try Poorboys SSR line.

OC is the "roughest" most abrasive polish you can use on a PC. There's been only one time where I couldn't get swirls out with OC and PC on 6. I got about 95% of them. SOME defects need the use of a rotary...

Remember to move up and down and side to side. Depending on the size of panel you're working on, you may move a little slower than an inch a second. And I would apply a little more pressure on the yellow pad.

Most recent use use with OC.

BEFORE

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010232.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010235.JPG

AFTER

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010239.JPG
(another pass, all the swirls would have been gone, but I did it for a friend who was on a time limit. this paint was SOO oxidized.)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010242.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010241.JPG

Surfer
03-13-2007, 12:55 AM
It also may depend on how hard your clear is, we have 6 vehicles and only my sisters Explorer and a silver Lincoln Towncar we have, have rock hard clears that I could only remove 50% of swirls with OC and yellow cutting pad (whats weird is my Mountaineer, same as Explorer, was fairly easy to correct as was our Lexus LX470).

That, or you may just need to work it correctly, as if OC and cutting pad don't remove/correct stuff, time for a rotary.