PDA

View Full Version : my thoughts on OPC

pixelmonkey
03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I've had a project for a few years, and it's recently started to gather momentum.

Plans include removing parts, media/ soda blasting and fresh paint. BUT before we can get to that portion, a few welds and fresh metal will be needed.

Part of the tear-down work was to re-wire everything under the hood of the project with quick connects at the firewall. This process started saturday morning, and the first snag was a bit of oil residue on the inner fenders, frame, suspension and steering. Basically, everything under the hood had a light coating of oil.

In the past, the process has been a can of "Engine De-greaser" from a local auto parts store. The contents of such a can are basically Kerosene packed into a pressurized can.

I wanted to do a test and compare a few results for myself, so off to the parts store for another "box of rags" and some engine de-greaser.

Without using water first, the full contents of the can were sprayed under the hood. Shake like mad to try to get out the last few oz only to realize the pressure runs out before the liquid. Let it do it's magic, per cans directions, and rinse... to find a skum left on everything! :doh:

Works about as well as snake oil!

ENTER OPC (http://www.autogeek.net/128oz-optimum-power-clean-apc.html)
I've been mixing my bottle at 3:1 for the last few fillings, and find it's the best ratio for my personal liking. Almost 1/2 the spray bottle was dispensed under the hood and a few more shots onto the end of a long handled scrub brush (http://www.autogeek.net/largebrush.html).

A bit of scrubbing with an occasional extra shot of OPC from the sprayer, and it was time to rinse.

OPC , those were the results I expected from the start!

*sorry, no photos, but I hope it helps somone that may have stood next to the pressurized cans mentioned above.*
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Mobile detail
03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
I agree that 1:3 is the best mix for most stuff. I love it on tires and being able to rinse it off with ONR makes it a lifesaver. That kerosone in a can is worthless. I hate the smell and here in CA you have to be careful where you use it cause the EPA Nazi's come and test our waste water containment system.

In CA, if a chemical works and does it's job, it will mostly likely be mad illegal and banned for sale. Then the chemical comes out with a new "CA SAFE" formula and it doesn't do a damn thing. When you used to have to use a few sprays and it would clean, now you have to use the whole bottle. My biggest gripe is brake cleaner and solvent cleaner. Stupid.

pixelmonkey
04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
UPDATE:

So i was looking at a few problem places on my wife's car today and thought I should make her work a bit. handed her the spray bottle of OPC 1:3 *1 part opc, 3 parts water*

I turned my back as she was spraying the wheel wells, tires, and lower black plastic trim. Then she tells me she also sprayed the front of her car.

DISCOVERY!
OPC will remove the spar urathane & mineral spirits mix from head lamps!

I wasn't mad about this event, but more in shock and awe the mix of OPC was powerful enough to melt away the headlamp mix.

I had been struggling since applying the mix and had already planned to spray them with a clear & hardener after removing them from the car. guess I now have an excuse to bump the timeline.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D