PDA

View Full Version : {Bumper Scratch Fix} Would you use KBM with Megs UC?

walletless
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I am trying to remove some bumper scrapes/scratches. This is what I had at first - after removing the paint transfer with prepsol & ISA-Water:
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/walletless/Car%20Scratch%20fixing%20-%20feb%202012/Before.jpg

I used Meguiar's UC on a 7" Meguiar's Softbuff Polishing Pad (Yellow) using PC 7424XP at speed 5 with moderate pressure, and got to this:
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/walletless/Car%20Scratch%20fixing%20-%20feb%202012/after.jpg

Looks better, but now the remaining scratches are super difficult to take off. Before I step up to M105, I wanted to solicit advice on whether I can complete the job with UC.

Two questions I had was:
1) I used a quarter-size application of UC for each pass. Would KBM method of priming the pad first help? How much UC do you generally use?
2) How much pressure should I use? I was afraid that being a plastic bumper, I will burn paint or cause damage by applying too much pressure.

Setec Astronomy
03-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I think that's about the best you're going to get; IMO if you keep going you're going to be thru the paint (because the scratches that are left are already through the paint).

If you want to keep going, be aware that those vinyl facias don't dissipate heat well, and if/when you overheat the paint it will fail suddenly without warning, so stop often and let the pad/paint cool, feel with your hand, if it feels too hot to touch, that's too hot.

PS You did really well with that, I'd leave it alone, or try some touchup in the remaining scratches.

walletless
03-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I think that's about the best you're going to get; IMO if you keep going you're going to be thru the paint (because the scratches that are left are already through the paint).

If you want to keep going, be aware that those vinyl facias don't dissipate heat well, and if/when you overheat the paint it will fail suddenly without warning, so stop often and let the pad/paint cool, feel with your hand, if it feels too hot to touch, that's too hot.

PS You did really well with that, I'd leave it alone, or try some touchup in the remaining scratches.
Thanks. That makes sense.. which is the reason I stopped after I reached this point. The bumper was definitely getting warm to the touch by then, and it seemed that I could not make more headway without applying additional pressure or bumping up the speed to 6 (which I definitely want to avoid).

walletless
03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
DO people generally mix a little bit of lacquer thinner with touch-up paint bottles? I bought a bottle from the dealership, and the paint is THICK - to the point that capillary action does not work when I dab the toothpick into the scratch. I removed the touch-up before it dried since it was obvious I was doing something wrong.. I think if the paint was a little thinner, the capillary action would work much better.. but before I mix some lacquer thinner, wanted to check..

Old Pirate
03-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm with Setec on this, be very careful with heat on that bumper and just touch it up ( with a match stick that might work ) and buff it out.

Setec Astronomy
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
DO people generally mix a little bit of lacquer thinner with touch-up paint bottles? I bought a bottle from the dealership, and the paint is THICK - to the point that capillary action does not work when I dab the toothpick into the scratch.

Yes, I usually thin it out, otherwise you just get blobs.

john b
03-26-2012, 08:35 PM
good thing you posted before trying to get the rest out-:dblthumb2: