PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for black 07 Jeep SRT8

doctyphoon
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I am a long time car guy, steeped in the hand-applied Zaino camp, but looking to jump into the DA polisher world. My primary target vehicle is my black 07 Jeep SRT8 which just turned 100K garage kept miles. I have read your book and would estimate its condition to be in the Mildy Neglected category. After perusing the posts on the forums, I am considering one of your PC7424 XP Menzerna kits, with 5.5" pads, as I have read that size works better with this machine. Which of the Menzerna kits would you recommend, or is there a better route to go? I thought I would use Zaino Z-2 Pro as a sealant (I have it on hand), followed by Fusion for a warmer look. Just starting out, I am looking for a simple, relaible approach which otimizes my chances for success. Any direction you or others might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

embolism
03-26-2012, 11:50 AM
welcome to AG

I think you'd have great success with the Meg's 5.5 inch Microfibre kit and a dual action polisher...

Impressions
03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Menzerna 1500 (SIP) followed up by Menzerna 4500 (85rd) should leave a swirl free finish for your Zaino sealant
you didn't say what pads you have??? (brand, type and colors)

doctyphoon
03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Thx for the suggestions. Embolism, are you talking about the Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2Fmegui ars-ultra-polish-kit.html) ? There are so many kits, its challenging to sort through, and I couldn't match up the exact one you mentioned.

Impressions, I dont have any pads yet, I am just getting started and looking for a kit suggestion (PC7424 XP, products and pads) that will likely give a newbie some success on his black (solid black, not metalflake) '07 Jeep SRT8.

Thanks again guys, I am flying blind here, and looking for that glide path beam. LOL

rider9195
03-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Robert has the right idea. Chrysler clear coats tend to be on the harder side in my experience. So the Menzerna line is a perfect fit utilizing their abrasive technologies.

Microfiber pads seem to be the newest pad technology. But LC flat pads work great. I would pick up 2 orange 2 white 2 black. 5.5 inch pads and a 5 inch DA backing plate.

doctyphoon
03-31-2012, 08:48 PM
So taking what you are saying, from a "kit" approach, maybe the Menzerna Porter Cable Ceramic 5.5 Inch Polishing Pad Kit might be a good approach, with some augmenting? I am just looking to get started on the right foot. Thanks again for the input.

ski2
04-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Have you considered the Groits RA polisher? It seems to make sense for the weekend warrior in that it is the most powerful of the RAs (which you'll need for that hard clear) and it has a lifetime warranty--if something goes wrong 3 or 5 years from now just send it back for repair or replacement.