PDA

View Full Version : little confused

BADZZHUMMER
05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
iam new to the forum, and iam trying to figure out how i got some swirls in my 2005 hummer (black) , i have used a microfiber mitt with mothers auto wash, and than i use meguires nxt spray wax, after the last time i used this regime i thought how great it looked, than i saw it in the sun , and @#$$%$#^% it has some swirls that are really pissin me off!!! SOOO, i purchased a porter 7424 and now im not sure which plan of attack as far as pads go, i do need the backing plate , and that is about my only solid decision so far lol , also not sure about which products to use, im leaning towards poor boys #1 swirl remover, would it be ok to use the poor boys sealant after that, one of my main concerns is that i will make it worse somehow since i havent used the porter ever and im not sure about speeds or the right pads either, sorry to type the novel but hopefully u guys can help me pick the right products for this job and advise me with the porter and speeds as well THANKS:mad:

nick1897
05-12-2006, 05:50 AM
I have recently only used Meguiars pads, so someone who uses the lake county or edge 2000 pads could help you out there.

Secondly, you should purchase a grit guard and quite possibly a foam gun. Although not necessary, it makes washing a thousand times easier. Since I'm trying to familiarize myself with the products at AG, I can recommend Meguiars product #83, #80, or #9. The products purchased from AG that I'm going to try are the swirl remover products from the XTM product line, Swirl Remover #1, #2, and #3. #3 being for the deeper swirls/scratches. And the CleerKote compound and cutting products could take away your problems.

Then you should put down a quality polish, many apply here, if you would like a recommomendation, just ask :) Follow that up with a two coats of a quality wax. Meguiars, CleerKote, Pinnacle and WG all apply here.

Could you include some pics of the swirls? You will need a backing plate for whatever pads you choose. For removing defects, you will want to run the machine on speed 5, or around 5000opms. Cover a small panel, nothing bigger than maybe 12x12; work the product into the paint, using slow passes and applying 15lbs of pressure to the head of the PC. It may require more than one pass to achieve your desired goals.

Hope this helps some...

-Nick

Surfer
05-12-2006, 08:11 AM
In addition to what he said, SSR1 will most likely do nothing for the swirls. If your looking at PB, look at some 2.5 and follow up with 1. Personally I'm a big fan of the Optimum products after seeing their work, just have to work it a little harder with a PC but the results are well worth it, plus no dusting. I'm going to be using a 50/50 mix of Optimum Polish and Compound.

If you don't have pad's yet, I would seriously look into the Edge 2000 kit, little more money over the others but well worth it hands down. Pads are double side and can be flipped/switched quickly which makes the process a lot easier. Really helps on suv's/trucks since they have more surface to cover.

So many products AG carries, you really can't go wrong whether it's the new XMT line, PB's, Optimum etc. Since you talked about Poorboy's, I'm a big fan of their products. I would look into some PB EX-P sealant and Natty's Blue wax. Can't beat PB's for the money, it's looks 98% as good as products costing much, much more. Plus durability, quality, ease of use etc are awsome.

Just be ready, H2's are a beotch to detail, as my buddy found out with his lol.

cummins03
05-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I feel your pain. My truck gets used everyday. It's sees all weather conditions. I'm constantly getting mud on the tires and then driving in gravel, so you can imagine. Plus it parks outside all year long. I recently used WG advanced swirl remover on LC orange pad. Was very pleased at the results.:applause:

ScottB
05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit1.html

everything you need in one kit including the pads. SSR 1.0 is a very light finishing polish. You will need SSR 2.5 and a white pad minimum with the PC on 5.5-6 rpms to break down the swirls.