PDA

View Full Version : How hot does your paint get

Pages : [1] 2

duck_commander
03-25-2012, 05:57 PM
when you are polishing it?

Friday night was the first time i've ever used a DA (new PC from Autogeek)... i'm pretty sure this was the first time a polisher ever touched my 7 year old DD i bought last year.... it's a 2005 honda civic...

i was using Optimum hyper polish with an orange lake country pad... i read on here everyone is saying honda paint is soo soft... i thought maybe the orange pad was going to be too rough... well it turns out i had to use opti hyper compound on the roof, hood, and trunk deck, to get most of the water etchings out of the paint... after the hyper compound i then used hyper polish.... both products were used with LC orange pads (those were the strongest i owned until last night when i saw the free shipping!)...

well my question is, when you guys are compounding or polishing the paint on a car, does the paint on the car get very warm to the touch? I noticed my paint was heating up very fast, as were the foam pads... I was cleaning the pads on the fly after each section... my PC was set on speed 6... i'm thinking my arm speed was to slow as it took me about 5 hours to polish out my 4 door civic.... does that sound like it took me to long?

i was just very surprised how hot the paint and pads got... i tried using an optimum mf polishing pad, until the mf seperated from the foam, and came flying off the polisher and slamming into the wall of the garage... the foam was still stuck to my backing plate!!!!

But i must say, i am very surprised and pleased with how clear and shiny my paint is now! to bad it's on a DD that's going to be beat up by the eliments :(

Danube
03-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Be careful with the paint temperature, always check with the palm of your hand both the paint and the pad. If your paint is as hot as the car was outside in the sun-that's fine, but you still need to be very careful, especially on painted plastics - such as bumpers.

IMO you should use softer pad.

5 hours is not excessive time for paint correction. It took me about 10 hours of compounding on wife's car.

Kaban
03-25-2012, 06:21 PM
^^^ If you're talking about how hot a car (especially dark color) gets in the sun on a hot sunny day.... that's REALLY hot imo.... because on those hot days I wouldn't want to put my hand on a paint for longer than half a second. Keep the machine moving and work in a larger area so you're not moving around in the same small space. That will prevent you from heating up the paint that much.

SonOfOC
03-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Paint may get warm, but definitely not hot as in "ouch" to touch. You should be able to put the palm of your hand flatly on your paint.

DAs at the fastest speed will heat up real quick, especially a PC at speed 6. Oversize pad, over saturation, too large of working area will also add heat.

Are you sure it's heat created from pad and paint and not heat from the PC spindle traveling through the backing plate.?

As for your delaminated MF, MF pads that are not complete dry and again speed 6 have been suspect.

Rsurfer
03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
It won't be if you maintain it.:buffing:
to bad it's on a DD that's going to be beat up by the eliments :(

rider9195
03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I have had my pads and backing plate get very hot. But never the paint. 5 hours if fine. You will get quicker as you practice. I'm sure when I first started machine polishing it would take me longer than 5 hours. But now I could easily do it in 5 or less. Practice is your friend!

Vegas Transplant
03-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Five hours on speed 6 is a bit much (opm-wise) imho. Hard not only on the pads, but the PC also. MF pads are thinner and distribute heat differently than foam pads.
Glad to hear that sense of accomplishment on the results hand. Keep up the good work.

Happy detailing...:buffing:

duck_commander
03-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I plan on polishing my dad's toyota and my g/f's subaru before i attempt to polish my 2010 screw f150 (tons of paint)!

I wouldn't say the paint was so hot that i couldn't touch it like it would in the sun, but it surprised me when i went to wiipe off the polish and i could feel the paint radiating heat...

i'm not sure if the foam pads were getting hot from friction with the paint, or if it was comming from the spindle...

i was very surprised with the amount of dust generated from the Optimum Hyper Polish... could it be from using to much product, not enough product, or because i was moving so slow (about 2 min per section) over each section?

Jomax
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Paint may get warm, but definitely not hot as in "ouch" to touch. You should be able to put the palm of your hand flatly on your paint.

DAs at the fastest speed will heat up real quick, especially a PC at speed 6. Oversize pad, over saturation, too large of working area will also add heat.

Are you sure it's heat created from pad and paint and not heat from the PC spindle traveling through the backing plate.?

As for your delaminated MF, MF pads that are not complete dry and again speed 6 have been suspect.

I dont know where you live, but in AZ black paint gets so hot you'll burn yourself if you hold it more than 3sec

oldmodman
03-26-2012, 12:06 AM
I dont know where you live, but in AZ black paint gets so hot you'll burn yourself if you hold it more than 3sec

A friend of mine in Scottsdale has a video on youtube showing him frying an egg on the hood of a black truck. It did cook, but it didn't look like it was actually frying.

What I really wanted to see was cleaning the paint afterwards.

duck_commander
03-26-2012, 08:15 AM
LOL... i can def tell you guys my paint was not hot enough to fry an egg... LOL but the paint was very warm... not 'hot' to the touch though.

Jomax
03-27-2012, 07:13 PM
LOL... i can def tell you guys my paint was not hot enough to fry an egg... LOL but the paint was very warm... not 'hot' to the touch though.

My trucks paint today got pretty hot, I'm dreading the summer.....

duck_commander
03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
hey jomax, i remember reading your thread about this comming summer heat and your paint... did you decide which sealant/wax you are going to use on your paint?

Jomax
03-27-2012, 10:31 PM
hey jomax, i remember reading your thread about this comming summer heat and your paint... did you decide which sealant/wax you are going to use on your paint?

I'm liking Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax because of the 250degree melt point so far the only other thing that says its made for hot weather is Poorboy’s EX-P paint sealant. Some people recommended Opti coat, but being pretty new on polishing and waxing I'm going to hold off on that.

duck_commander
03-28-2012, 07:12 AM
yea i can understand being not sure about using opti-coat, right off the bat... well hope the wax holds up for you in the summer heat!