PDA

View Full Version : New car-"leather-appointed" seats

Pages : [1] 2

JamyeP
03-24-2012, 06:03 PM
I've been lurking for days and finally joined so here's my seriously newby question: My new Camaro has "leather-appointed" seating. I don't know what that means. I'm thinking of getting the Wolfgang Cockpit Kit so I would have all I need to keep it looking great but I'm not sure if the products are usable on my seats. I also don't know if the Wolfgang products would be best to use on the dash or steering wheel or the inside of the doors or honestly which of their products to use where....My Camaro is the 45th Anniversay limited edition, and since my last new car lasted me 23 years, this is probably the last car I'll ever own. Car interiors have changed a lot and I doubt what works on my 88 Pulsar semi-plastic and cloth interior is right for my Camaro (and yes, I still have the Pulsar. It's parked in the garage next to the Camaro). Help?

Flash Gordon
03-24-2012, 06:51 PM
IDK what that means. Probally a fancy way of saying you have fake leather

Pour a small amount of water on your seat and see if it penetrates or rolls off. This will tell you if you have coated leather

Its been my expierence that Pleather is far more durable then Leather

Hope some of this made sense to you

Flash Gordon
03-24-2012, 07:04 PM
PS,

Have a towel ready to wipe that water up. On uncoated leather it could leave a stain

JamyeP
03-24-2012, 08:13 PM
PS,

Have a towel ready to wipe that water up. On uncoated leather it could leave a stain

I thought all leather in car seats were coated these days. If that's true, wouldn't the water roll off anyway?

Larry A
03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
I thought all leather in car seats were coated these days. If that's true, wouldn't the water roll off anyway?
Yes!

Flash Gordon
03-24-2012, 08:33 PM

99.9% have coated leather. Some exotics and the Ford King Ranch edition p/ups don't. If you have uncoated leather it (liquid) will penetrate your seat, not roll off. More times then not if you let it sit there it will leave a stain

I kinda doubt you have uncoated leather. Is there anyway you could post a :Picture:

JamyeP
03-24-2012, 09:41 PM
It's dark outside, the car's in the garage and it's starting to rain so can't get pictures right now. The only pics I've taken were of the outside BUT, it's the 2012 45th Anniversay Camaro. The only option choice you have with that car is whether the seats are black or grey. They are "leather-appointed" whether you want that or not. My seats are grey. You can see the interior at the chevy site and maybe that will give you an idea: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/en/pdf/open/camaro_special_edition/2012_45thCamaro_showbrochure_v5.pdf

Flash Gordon
03-24-2012, 10:23 PM
The best thing you can do for your interior is get the windows tinted

JamyeP
03-24-2012, 11:18 PM
The best thing you can do for your interior is get the windows tinted

Not helpful. What products can I use to clean and condition the interior, including the seats? That's what I need to know. My 88 is in mint condition and I'd like the information that will enable me to do the same for my Camaro. My cars are garage-kept. Are the Wolfgang products what I need or is there something else?

hoyt66
03-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Welcome to AG. Not sure but "Leather Appointed" seating is probably Chevy's way of saying "Leather in seating area only". You probably have coated leather where

as the WG leather conditioner will just sit on the surface and never penetrate. Look around on the ag site . You will find a few products that cover all materials on

today's cars. 303 and Bf interior protectant I like. I recently bought some WG vinyl and rubber and I like that better than the BF for the dash and doors. What did you

use on your last car? 23 years and its mint sound like good care to me. Maybe apply the "if it's not broke don't fix it" here. Good luck

BobbyG
03-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Matching vinyl is used on the sides and backs of these seats. You'll notice that most the manufacturers use terms like "leather appointed", "leather trimmed", and "leather seating areas". It's so manufactures can use leather where they choose and where they choose not to.

These terms are used so that people cant say "I thought it was 100% leather."

Flash Gordon
03-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Not helpful. What products can I use to clean and condition the interior, including the seats? That's what I need to know. My 88 is in mint condition and I'd like the information that will enable me to do the same for my Camaro. My cars are garage-kept. Are the Wolfgang products what I need or is there something else?

Nothing you put on coated leather will protect it (doesn't penetrate) It will make it look nice (if thats what you like) but won't do a thing to preserve

Sorry you don't like my answers. Just trying to give you an honest opinion

JamyeP
03-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I use Meguire's on the dash and plastic inside the door & the rubber under the floormats. I also use their products to wash & wax it. I have an inside source that gives me a gentle cleaning product that was great on the floormats and the trunk carpet which I will likely still use. The Camaro came with regular mats and special 45th edition ones that I immediately took out and put away so they will remain pristine. The fabric seats and fabric inside the doors on the Pulsar I just used woolite upolstery care. The only things I changed on the car was the stereo (since it only took cassettes) and the tires & wheels. I never thought I'd get a new car since I love driving that one so much but started rethinking that when the A/C finally died last summer. It was a ##### getting it fixed and I realized if something else went wrong, I was going to have a bear of a time getting parts. It's a sweet car and not only still looks great, the engine runs great, still purrs, but it sure is nice having cupholders. LOL!

Thanks for the advice. I will look around some more. I want to get what will work and keep the car as nice as it is now. I'm so anal-retentive about this car, I've already washed & waxed it twice and it doesn't even have 200 miles on it yet. It looks so awesome when it's clean & super shiny. I intend to keep it that way. Thanks for the help!

Flash Gordon
03-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Your welcome

A lot of ppl rave about 303 or Leather Masters

buddhadog
03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
You could try Optimum protectant plus. That should help protect you seats.

Flash mentioned the window tint because sun will be your worst enemy !:xyxthumbs: