PDA

View Full Version : How do you get white wall tires white again?

Maxstart
03-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm about to detail an old Pontiac and the white walls on his tires are brownish. I have tired on some cars and afraid that I won't be able to get these white again. Any tips or tools to get them white?

Kaban
03-24-2012, 04:36 PM
use a tire cleaner or an apc and see if that does anything

ExoticAutoDetai
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Some apc and a stiff brush does the job

DetailElite
03-24-2012, 05:49 PM
If none of the above works, I would try some bleach white. You can find it at places like auto zone or wal mart might even carry some.

jhallhall
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM
We uses "SOS" pads at work. Steel wool with soap incorporates

oldcracker
03-24-2012, 06:17 PM
yup apc and stiff brush should be fine
probably just need to hit it a few times

sparty
03-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Comet cleanser is the old school method to clean white walls. Not sure how safe it is, but man does it work well. When my father had wide white walls on his Nomad we would mix Comet cleanser with a little water to make a thin paste and then scrub the white walls with it. They come out bright white every time.

-Sparty

Old Tiger
03-24-2012, 08:40 PM
If none of the above works, I would try some bleach white. You can find it at places like auto zone or wal mart might even carry some.
Back in the day Weseleys Bleach White worked better than all else! Comet was second choice but worked. Bleach White isnt abrasive.

Maxstart
03-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Comet cleanser is the old school method to clean white walls. Not sure how safe it is, but man does it work well. When my father had wide white walls on his Nomad we would mix Comet cleanser with a little water to make a thin paste and then scrub the white walls with it. They come out bright white every time.

-Sparty

Really like the kitchen cleaner comet?? I would never of thought that.

rwright
03-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Bleche Wite or Duragloss White Wall Tire Cleaner

BillE
03-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Westley's Bleche-Wite - (note the weird spelling, that is right from the bottle).

Not only does it work well on WW tires, but also 'plain' tires.

Bill

vet
03-25-2012, 08:15 AM
I've used bleche wite and a tire brush for years.

TLMitchell
03-25-2012, 11:51 AM
As mentioned, Westley's Bleche Wite has been the standard for eons. A wheel brush works for all but the worst stained white walls and RWLs. On the stubborn ones I use a brass-bristled brush and let BW dwell after wetting the tire. On extremely thin WWs or surfaces where I don't want to use Bleche Wite (do NOT get the stuff on uncoated wheels or polished alumnum, it stains!) I use Brillo or SOS. Comet and various cleansers also work with a Scotch Brite pad. Lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat. Keeping 'em clean and white in the first place replaces a lot of work and aggravation.

TL

Vegas Transplant
03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Zep purple/Green Scotchbrite (don't know the grit).

sparty
03-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Really like the kitchen cleaner comet?? I would never of thought that.

Yes the kitchen cleaner. It has bleach in it. Does a great job.