PDA

View Full Version : Telemaketing/ Scammers Calls

My Detailing Guys
03-24-2012, 07:41 AM
I was wondering how many of you get calls from telemarketing/scammers. I get tired of these calls when I answer my business cell phone expecting it to be a customer and its telemarketing/scammers. The other one that drives me nuts is when I get a customer information/appointment request generated from my website, I call them to find out they never planned on having their vehicle detailed; they start with a sales pitch. Maybe it just comes with the territory. Has anyone found a way to weed these people out?

Thanks,

Greg

Flash Gordon
03-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I only answer calls from 901,731,662 & 870 area codes. Everyone else can leave a message at the sound of the tone ;)

Jons6.7
03-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Flash is right on. If its a website hit that is not a local area code just delete it especially if its a 800 type number.

BobbyG
03-24-2012, 02:26 PM
If I don't recognize the incoming number, my machine does what it does best......

Flash Gordon
03-24-2012, 02:40 PM
If I'm around the house and bored I will take their call. I keep asking them to repeat themselves because I'm hard of hearing. You can hear the hostilty in their voice rise each time

Funny Stuff!

mwoolfso
03-24-2012, 02:59 PM
I rarely get these calls but when I do I simply cut them off, and request they remove me from their list. Federal law obligates them to process that request.

jfelbab
03-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Put your phone on the federal "Do Not Call" list.(Donotcall.gov) If you get a call from a telemarketer inform them that you are on that list and if they call again report them to Donotcall.gov

You can also sue them and I read of more than one making a good deal of money through several suits.

How to Stop Telemarketing Calls on My Cell | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_6304357_stop-telemarketing-calls-cell.html)

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

How to Sue a Telemarketer | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_5211271_sue-telemarketer.html)

Gunslinger
03-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I have two techniques that seem to work...even if they're legit and I don't care to talk to them.

I used to be a Federal law enforcement officer...when I would get a call that was obviously a scam...and especially they asked for ID numbers like a social security number, I would be polite and tell them I was careful about such things. I would tell them I was a Fed and had friends in the FBI, SEC or other agency that would have jurisdiction over what they're representing. I would ask if they minded giving me their name, their supervisor's name, the company name, address and contact number...and I would have them checked out. If they checked out as ok, I'd be happy to talk with them further. That usually ended the call tight there.

The other, and shorter way was to tell them I was occupied at that moment...due to my wife's giving me...let's say "attention". Either that or say it was my girlfriend and we were in a rush to get the "job" done before my wife got home.

Either method works.

My Detailing Guys
03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the information and a great laugh!:dblthumb2:Im the MAN

Greg

timaishu
03-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I put our home phone on the do not call list when it was first introduced. I put it on again a few months ago when we started getting alot of telemarketers and it made no difference.

Atleast every few days we keep getting this call from someone asking if we want a free security system for exchange of putting a sign on our lawn or something. I saw no and hung up. We have been called by them atleast 15 times. Its so bad that I instantly recognize the guys voice (pretty sure its a robot as they sound exactly the same every time). All I have to here is "Hi, how are you tod.. click" I hang up immediatly.

The last call I decided to try and tell them to stop !@#$ing calling, so I when the call came once and again I responsed with a "I am good, how are you?" NO RESPONSE, I was thinking to myself ###. There was literally silence after my response for 10 seconds so I hung up.

Its rediuclous, could I really sue them or something like a previous poster mentioned. I want them to leave us alone.

My Detailing Guys
03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
One of the problems I have is when people respond to my website's contact us page, as I review my outlook mail, their return email address is a "business name" dot com which they try to sell me service's to "improve my business". Before I call them back, I look them up to see what kind of business they are. The hard part is I have to call just in case they really need my service, most of the time they don't...it's a catch 22!

Greg