PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Please...

fhuici
03-11-2007, 10:11 PM
OK, what is the best combination of swirl removal, polish, sealant and wax? For swirl removal I heard Menzerna is best. For polish, I heard Zaino Z2Pro, for sealant I'm not sure and if I want to top it off with a wax, I heard Souveran is best.

If I'm understanding this correctly, after I use whatever I'm using to remove swirls, I should follow it up with a polish, then a sealant and then a wax? Is that correct? Or if I'm using a wax, I should skip the sealant and visa versa? I think I read somewhere that sealant won't bond to wax or visa versa?

Here's what I'm planning on my black, full of swirls vette.

1, Menzerna Intensive Polish (PC with Edge Orange Pad first, then if needed, repeat with Yellow Pad)

2, Menzerna Final Polish (PC with Edge Blue Pad)

3, Menzerna PO106FF (PC with Edge Blue Pad)

4, Zaino Z2Pro (PC with Edge White Pad)

5, Souveran (PC with Edge White Pad) or can I skip this since I'm using Zaino?

Is that OK? I'm looking for the best possible results.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Frank

PS. I know it's frawned upon to talk about other products but with the exception to the products that AG doesn't carry, I purchase everything else from here! I think I've spent over $1000 in the past 6 months. Hopefully my post won't get removed!!!

nick19
03-11-2007, 10:18 PM
OK, what is the best combination of swirl removal, polish, sealant and wax? For swirl removal I heard Menzerna is best. For polish, I heard Zaino Z2Pro, for sealant I'm not sure and if I want to top it off with a wax, I heard Souveran is best.

If I'm understanding this correctly, after I use whatever I'm using to remove swirls, I should follow it up with a polish, then a sealant and then a wax? Is that correct? Or if I'm using a wax, I should skip the sealant and visa versa? I think I read somewhere that sealant won't bond to wax or visa versa?

1, Menzerna Intensive Polish (PC with Edge Orange Pad first, then if needed, repeat with Yellow Pad)

Frank

I'm not the master Menzerna guy, and I believe FP and PO106FF are similar or something. If they are, pick just one.

To remove swirls, you need to use a polish or compound, which Menzerna is. So your fine there.

Once you remove the defects, I would use a finishing glaze, (similar to FP and PO106FF) to help bring back the oils the polish got rid of. (using a FG is like putting aloe on a sun burn)

Then I, personally, would apply some Klasse AIO Acrylic cleaner down, as any sealant will bond BETTER to an acrylic base.

After 24 hours of cure time, I would apply possible another layer of sealant, and let cure for another 24 hours, or you may skip directly to a wax. You may apply another coat of wax at least 12 hours after the first has cured.

Sealants usually won't bond to waxes, but waxes will bond to sealants.

I haven't tried many sealants, but I LOVE WGDGS, and well worth every penny. Each has his own opinion.

Hope this helps.....

-Nick :cheers:

supercharged
03-11-2007, 11:01 PM

Frank

PS. I know it's frawned upon to talk about other products but with the exception to the products that AG doesn't carry, I purchase everything else from here! I think I've spent over $1000 in the past 6 months. Hopefully my post won't get removed!!!
First of all what kind of car is it? Paint?
Menzerna PO106FF is more consentrated (7% of abrassives) then Final Polish II(3%) and works pretty well on hard clear coats.
So just do this:
Intensive Polish---Final Polish---Zaino---Souveran.

or

Intensive Polish---PO106FF---Zaino---Souveran.

FP and PO106FF are both final polishes that give you lsp ready finish.

Just my $0.02.

nick19
03-11-2007, 11:05 PM
First of all what kind of car is it? Paint?
Menzerna PO106FF is more consentrated (7% of abrassives) then Final Polish II(3%) and works pretty well on hard clear coats.
So just do this:
Intensive Polish---Final Polish---Zaino---Souveran.

or

Intensive Polish---PO106FF---Zaino---Souveran.

FP and PO106FF are both final polishes that give you lsp ready finish.

Just my $0.02.

Good catch. I just found out what PO106FF was.

I would go the IP>PO106FF>sealant>wax route, if money isn't a concern, as PO106FF is $50 a bottle.

Whitethunder46
03-11-2007, 11:13 PM
I have heard Menzerna works well with hard clear coats, such as Vettes.

Also, if you don't have any Edge pads yet, there is a green pad which is between the orange and yellow in abbrasiveness.

And the blue pad is used more for a glaze, so I'm not real sure how effective it would be with Final Polish or PO106FF, might want to use Orange.

fhuici
03-12-2007, 06:01 PM
It only took me about 6 months experimenting with all different sorts of polishes, waxes, pads, to find what really works.

I've purchased from Zaino to XMT to Mothers, to Wolfgang and to just recently, Menzerna (Just ordered it last night - haven't received it yet). Come to find out, the stuff that took all the swirls out without leaving any hazing, was Wolfgang All Swirl Removal. The crazy thing is that was the first one I had purchased. I used it with believe it or not, Edge Yellow pad and the thing worked great. No hazing at ALL! It's funny because I had tried that a while ago but with an orange pad and while some of the swirls did come out, I didn't like the hazing or miniature webbing it left behind.

All I can say is, I wish I can take a picture that really shows how great this stuff worked for me. It's in incredible! After several applications, I can honestly say my car is 99.99% swirl free!

Of course, I did follow it up with several coats of Zaino Z2Pro and Zaino Gloss Enhancer and as soon as my order that I'm about to place with AG comes in, I'm going to give it a few coats of Souveran. Until then, that baby is staying in the garage!

Thanks to all how responded with suggestions and advice. I truly appreciate it!

Frank

ScottB
03-12-2007, 06:45 PM
I would toss one of the polish steps, as slightly redundant. You could also replace Zaino (paint sealant) with Four Star UPP as wanted. I rather like UPP and now with some polycharger additive (think ZFX) I find my finish slicker longer and dont need a Z8 topper. Although Souveran Spray Wax would boost your carnauba as wanted/needed and keep the "just waxed" look longer.

orngez
03-13-2007, 04:37 AM
i like the poorboys line of stuff...i have used others like zaino..megs..etc...and to be honest they all pretty much give the same results...it just usually takes a different procedure to get them but the end result tends to be the same...a swirl free paint finish...just stick with a productuntil you learn how to use it properly and you will have great detailing success...what product you choose is really dependant upon personal preference and bank account :)

Hat Trick
03-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone

Pretty new...been lurking for a while. So I've read post after after. Bought a new Mont. Red Vette. I wanted to make it look good so I jumped into the Zaino stuff right away.. It looks good but not great. Not too sure it was the best move. So I've been reading that you guys are topping it with Souvern. Everyone is talking starting and ending with wax but nobody goes further. What happens after the wax? We all know that Zaino can't go over wax. Do you just continue to use the wax until you strip everything off?

Help !!!!

Amy

koibybrian
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I belive Nick said it thebest Sealent and wax. Hi Amy!

Nuke33
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Id say sol is the best wax :) your plan seems to work well with the suggestions provided

Hat Trick
03-19-2007, 05:18 PM
huh ???? what plan? I don't have one yet. I need guidance

ScottB
03-19-2007, 05:49 PM
wash --- clay ---- polish --- jewel (optional) --- protect

if you like Zaino, try UPP w/ polycharger additive !!! (gloss and slickness to extreme)

Jimmie
03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi Everyone

Pretty new...been lurking for a while. So I've read post after after. Bought a new Mont. Red Vette. I wanted to make it look good so I jumped into the Zaino stuff right away.. It looks good but not great. Not too sure it was the best move. So I've been reading that you guys are topping it with Souvern. Everyone is talking starting and ending with wax but nobody goes further. What happens after the wax? We all know that Zaino can't go over wax. Do you just continue to use the wax until you strip everything off?

Help !!!!

Amy

Welcome Amy.
After a few coats of wax most use a QD like Pinnacle Crystal Mist after washings. And yes, every few months strip everything off and start over. It's a fun cycle to most.