PDA

View Full Version : What to do with truck?

Larry S
03-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Hello,

I have a question, I just got done detailing my car and my brother in law wants me to do his 2003 green Silverado. I do want to do this for him, because he never questions anything we've asked of him. He will be running his truck through the car wash, he never washes it himself.

So my question is, what steps do I take in doing this, using the wolfgang trio might be over kill and will just get loaded with swirls again. What correction would work for me?

Maybe a paint cleaner then sealant? I'm not sure. Looking for suggestions please.
Feed back please

Thanks,
Larry

Finemess
03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
You may want to look at an AIO (all in one). Like XMT 360. I use it on the wifes DD. Always does a great job.

rider9195
03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I agree with Rich. You could just use the Finishing Glaze on a white pad to correct the paint some and then use the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

SonOfOC
03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Throw in some claying if you can.

Alvin
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
you could try Meguiars #6 cleaner wax works good hand or da

Kaban
03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
I would just use a finishing polish on it like Menzerna Power Finish (it's got more cut than 106FA and finishes down beautifully). In my opinion, it's one of the best one step products you can use.

I'd use a coating on it since it will be alot more resistant to "swirl washes" than a regular wax or sealant... who knows what kind of cleaners they use in there. Opti Coat 2.0 is the best bet.

nickgodfrey
03-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I agree with clay and then a one step cleaner wax. It'll be smooth and shine up nicely, which is probably what he's hoping to get.

Larry S
03-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Wow, some great ideas, just what I was looking for. I think I'll clay and still deciding on whether to try power finish or cleaner wax of some kind. Hmmm

Thanks so much

Larry

BobbyG
03-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi Larry,

Most car washes use fairly strong detergents which unfortunately will strip away all but the hard coatings such as Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 or similar products.

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)

It's important that Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 be applied to a freshly polished clean surface. DO NOT use any sealant or wax prior to its application.

The key to a sparking defect free finish is in the preparation.

Wash
Clay
Polish
IPA
Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

If you review the application instructions including some of the videos actually showing applying Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0, take your time, you should be very successful. Take your time!

Optimum Technicion Applied

Opti-Coat Application Methods - YouTube

Will you be polishing by hand or do you have a dual action or rotary polisher?