PDA

View Full Version : I feel stupid

timaishu
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
SOoooooo about a year and a half ago I had a well known and respected stereo shop build me a subwoofer box for my two 12'' Phoenix Gold D4 RSDc subwoofers. They are being powered by my Memphis Belle 16-MCH1300.

When I left them with my car. I TOLD THEM to wire them to 1 ohm as my amp is 1 ohm stable. Got my car back and it sounded great.

Anyways, I have a backup camera coming today and I pulled out the box to make the install easier and decided to throw my multimeter on it to make sure during the time it was installed nothing blew.

Well it measured at 4-ohms. Hmmm, thats not supposed to happen. I pull the subs out and to my suprise the numb nuts wired it to 4 ohms! Now there is nothing wrong with what they did. They wired it correctly for that configurating.

But here is the thing, at 4 ohms, my amp can put out only 300wRMS split between the the two. Wired at 1 ohm though, it can put out up to 1,100wRMS. and 800w difference.................................

I feel dumb for not noticing sooner. But I was coming from two 10's. So the extra cone area made me think it was louder and probably wired right.

Oh well lesson learned. Never trust any shop completely, always check their work, just like body shops as we see here all to often.

Will be fun when I get it wired correctly, it will be like a brand new system lol. Im the MAN

Ray@Autogeek
03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I've had a few sound systems in my day and have experimented with very many configurations (1-4 ohms, inverted subs, port/bandbass/sealed, 1 to 8 subwoofer walls). I've seen this happen too many times. Most likely because having a multi subwoofer system output at less than 4 ohms requires a little more wiring work, especially with speakers that have more than a single voice coil.

I'd assume any reputable shop won't have a problem rewiring the system to your requested specs. The problem can also be singled down to the specific installer. I've known shops that have very good AND very bad installers.

Anyways, thanks for the reminder! Always check their work!

If you plan on rewiring the system yourself, be sure to zero out your levels before testing the audio. Trust me, you WILL notice the extra 800w. So will your charging system. I hope you have plenty of juice in your battery or capacitor to really utilize that Belle! NICE amp btw. My local SPL rival was a big Memphis fan. They make quality components. :xyxthumbs:

timaishu
03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I got it all squared away. Glad I had extra wire laying around cause I had to cut more.

I had the most trouble trying to fit three 12guage wires into the push terminal.

Thanks for the reminder! I was about to go out and test and forgot to reset the gain.

timaishu
03-22-2012, 06:55 PM
I got it all squared away. Glad I had extra wire laying around cause I had to cut more.

I had the most trouble trying to fit three 12guage wires into the push terminal.

Thanks for the reminder! I was about to go out and test and forgot to reset the gain.

EDIT:

Man I have a headache now. Im still not sure if I got it right, been a few years since I last set gain on anything.

I may just call the shop tomorrow and see if they will do it. But its just stupid loud though haha. Nice to have what I expected in the first place, but I will definitely keep it as quiet as I do now just so it blends well.