PDA

View Full Version : What I heard.

Excessive Detail
05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I was searching around the internet for car detailing sites and I came across a website that said that using and orbital at low speeds, below 2000, is as safe as using a d/a. To me this is very questionable. What do you guyz think? Also, I am thinking about breaking out the orbital on my car, and yes I know the dangers and I am very cautious about doing this but I think I can do it. I've been practicing on an old car I have. I've been using the pads from my d/a and I was wondering if this is ok. The only difference I see is the size, but I'm not the expert. Advice on any product/pad combos would be helpful too. The paint on my car is in good condition, but I have swirls and its driving me nuts.Thanks

ScottB
05-11-2006, 08:38 PM
it truly depends on what polish, which pad, and what type of surface. The heat transfer from a circular/rotary is much higher than the PC. Add in the rounded corners of a car, or a wool pad, and you could have some trouble. Most professionals dont use rotaries about 2000 rpms. I would pratice first, and then apply the results to your finish last. Anything else might just be uncivilized. :mad:

Excessive Detail
05-11-2006, 08:52 PM
it truly depends on what polish, which pad, and what type of surface. The heat transfer from a circular/rotary is much higher than the PC. Add in the rounded corners of a car, or a wool pad, and you could have some trouble. Most professionals dont use rotaries about 2000 rpms. I would pratice first, and then apply the results to your finish last. Anything else might just be uncivilized. :mad:

I'll probably wait till I use it on my car and continue to practice on the other and play around with different combos. The swirls in my paint are bad, but not bad enough to loose any paint over. Are their any links to sites that might be helpful to learn more about the rotary process?

DS Detailer
05-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I think the only speed you should use an orbital on is under 2000 rpms. So I believe that site was written by an amature. And since I get a pay check for detailing, I consider myself a pro.

Just be careful with the orbital... remember, take your time and when it doubt... stop and cool it down.