PDA

View Full Version : How do u guys fix this

kimtt
03-20-2012, 12:59 AM
A can of household paint dropped on the roof of car and now half dried on , what are your suggestions on removing them?
http://img.tapatalk.com/74c50669-1cbf-4e6c.jpg

LSUFAN
03-20-2012, 01:06 AM
what kind of paint latex, oil based, ext........

kimtt
03-20-2012, 04:14 AM
I don't know and neither the owner. Is there different method on fixing oil based and water based latex?

tuscarora dave
03-20-2012, 04:29 AM
If you get involved in trying to fix that I'd suggest having the owner sign a waver that releases you from the liability of possible damages that may occur during said repair/removal. I'd be thinking lacquer thinner or goo gone on a cotton terry towel and tons of elbow grease. I'd work in small sections like 4 square inches at a time trying to stay off of the factory paint at all times (just work on the spilled paint) and explain that the rubber/plastic strip will most assuredly be damaged in the process. In the past I have removed spray paint by hand using towels and rubbing compound but find the lacquer thinner method faster. Then polish the area after you get the foreign paint removed.

BWG707
03-20-2012, 06:44 AM
If it's latex Goof-Off and alot of scrubbing should take it off. If it's oil Mineral Spirits will disolve it but I don't know what MS would do to the paint. You could always test it on something else before you try it on your car. Good luck with it.

Link
03-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Latex- alcohol

BobbyG
03-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Dave's spot on with the release!!

If it's latex then hot water should soften it so it can be removed. Try some thick towels soaked in HOT water. Do a section at a time softening it and see if you can carefully scrape is off using a plastic razor place or putty knife...

If you have a pressure washer this could remove the paint once warm too and make things go a lot faster....

LSUFAN
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Dave's spot on with the release!!

If it's latex then hot water should soften it so it can be removed. Try some thick towels soaked in HOT water. Do a section at a time softening it and see if you can carefully scrape is off using a plastic razor place or putty knife...

If you have a pressure washer this could remove the paint once warm too and make things go a lot faster....
:iagree: If its Latex then u lucked out. Much ezer to take care of than oil based. I took care of a customers car when a full gallon of white latex paint fell on the roof of a black lexus. Like others say get the client to sign a waver to protect yourself first. Use a Hair dryer/ heat gun to warm the paint up or like bobby said a hot towel to warm the paint up an use "plastic razor blade to gently lift the paint off the surface.If it is latex you should be able to peal it right off just like you would with decals/pinstripping. I dont have any experience with oil based so dont know what the best way to remove. Your going to have to do a light polish after an like always fallow up with a lsp. Hope this helps

BobbyG
03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
:iagree: If its Latex then u lucked out. Much ezer to take care of than oil based. I took care of a customers car when a full gallon of white latex paint fell on the roof of a black lexus. Like others say get the client to sign a waver to protect yourself first. Use a Hair dryer/ heat gun to warm the paint up or like bobby said a hot towel to warm the paint up an use "plastic razor blade to gently lift the paint off the surface.If it is latex you should be able to peal it right off just like you would with decals/pinstripping. I dont have any experience with oil based so dont know what the best way to remove. Your going to have to do a light polish after an like always fallow up with a lsp. Hope this helps

Woooo, great idea!! :props:

LSUFAN
03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Thank you sir. Trial an error, always pray for as lil error as possible haha. Just have to be careful around plastic/rubber trim an moldings. But if you have ever removed pin stripping with a heat gun you know what I'm talking about. Start at one end and slowly move with the heat gun while pulling the decal pin stripping at an angle until u get to the end. Latex paint acts the same way.

clm65
03-23-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't have any suggestions, but I do have a question. If this car had a coating of CQuartz or Opti-Coat, would this incident be a big problem? I mean, would you be able to just peel the spilled paint off of the car once it dried, since nothing is supposed to stick to these coatings?

LSUFAN
03-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Good ? and wish i could answer it for you, haven't had the chance to experience it yet haha. i do however have a few clients that i have used Opti-Coat on alone with both mine an gf vehicles and cleaning is easier IMO. I would probably go after it the same without a coating. Heat gun/hair dryer to soften paint an slowly peal away.