PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendations

bernoulli72
03-19-2012, 09:26 AM
I am looking to buy a random orbital polisher, pads, polishing compounds, and wax. I intend to use this for my vehicles only. My wife's car is an 2008 black Honda Accord with all of the black car problems, and I will have a newer silver Subaru soon.

After browsing through the forums off and on for a couple of weeks I am thinking of the Griots Garage 6 RO with 5 inch backing plate. I had originally though of getting an assortment of LC 5.5 pads (Orange, White, Gray, Blue). The compounds I originally selected would be Meguiars 105, 205, and Collinite Wax 845. I was going to get a couple grit guards and MF drying towels also.

However, it seems that lately people have been choosing MF pads with different compounds. I need help selecting the right pads and compounds that will work well on a black car and an inexperienced RO operator.

pockets1951
03-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I just got done working on my black Honda using almost exactly what you have listed and it came out great(including LC pads). Looks like you've done some homework. Have fun!

CLipster
03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
i had the same questions.

I want to buy the 7424 xp and I see the packages offered, but I don't know if that is what I need to do just basic like the op said.

If someone could be help, thanks in advance.

Brent

shoeless89
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I like the LC flat pads. They last a little longer IMO then Meguiar's MF pads. I haven't tried Optimum's though. I use more Meguiar's M105 and M205 then anything else. Make sure you get 5.5" pads.

CLipster
03-21-2012, 06:46 AM
is there specific pads to use with m105 and m205?

and then say what is a good for putting on the final wax say collinite 845?

thanks

BobbyG
03-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Over the counter alternatives.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a really nice over the counter product. Use this with a Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a 5 1/2" Flat Orange foam pad and you will be impressed.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a little more user friendly than its professional counterpart, M105 and has a longer working time.

Meguiar's SCRATCH X 2.0 is a nice polish to use after Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I would say both are the over the counter equivalent of Meguiar's M105 and Meguiar's M205...

Foam Pads

To simplify pad usage, here's a generic usage of pads and products.

Compounding

Compounds or aggressive products are generally used on firmer pads, Yellow, Orange, and Green.

Polishing

The Green, White and Gray pads are generally used with polishes.

Sealants & Wax

Use either a Blue or Red foam pad for applying these

Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System.

Meguiar's really hit a home run with it's Dual Action Microfiber Correction System. It's simple, effective, and works very well.

CLipster
03-21-2012, 07:18 AM
thats awesome.

do you have any other advice for a beginner on the machine?

i plan on testing on a truck hood before I tackle something a little more precious.

thanks

BobbyG
03-21-2012, 07:26 AM
thats awesome.

do you have any other advice for a beginner on the machine?

i plan on testing on a truck hood before I tackle something a little more precious.

thanks

Hands on experience is the best method of building your knowledge base. Detailing can be enjoyable if you let it be. At first work slowly. As you become more confident you'll find your comfort zone...

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)
DA Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)
Waxing With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/28651-how-machine-apply-wax-using-da-polisher.html)

CLipster
03-22-2012, 11:48 AM
is there a big difference between the flat pads and the contoured ones or dimpled ones?

do they pretty much do the same things?

panthercz
03-22-2012, 01:26 PM
I am looking to buy a random orbital polisher, pads, polishing compounds, and wax. I intend to use this for my vehicles only. My wife's car is an 2008 black Honda Accord with all of the black car problems, and I will have a newer silver Subaru soon.

After browsing through the forums off and on for a couple of weeks I am thinking of the Griots Garage 6 RO with 5 inch backing plate. I had originally though of getting an assortment of LC 5.5 pads (Orange, White, Gray, Blue). The compounds I originally selected would be Meguiars 105, 205, and Collinite Wax 845. I was going to get a couple grit guards and MF drying towels also.

However, it seems that lately people have been choosing MF pads with different compounds. I need help selecting the right pads and compounds that will work well on a black car and an inexperienced RO operator.

The microfiber pads are great for harder clear coats. For a black Honda however, I'd stick with the foam pads as they finish down nicer.

M105, is in my opinion, not something for a first timer. It works great but is not user friendly if you don't use it properly. I would suggest something like the Meguiars D300 compound. It was made for the microfiber pads but works just as well on foam pads and is very user friendly (long work time, not as much dust as 105 and wipes off easily).
You could also try the Optimum Compound II. I've only tried it once but liked it. Again, long work time, minimal dusting and wipes off easily.

Now here is something else to consider. For soft black paint, it would really benefit from a finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD on a black foam pad.

Also, I'm not sure what size/kind foam pads you were considering but the 5.5" flat pads work best imo.

CLipster
03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Hands on experience is the best method of building your knowledge base. Detailing can be enjoyable if you let it be. At first work slowly. As you become more confident you'll find your comfort zone...

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)
DA Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)
Waxing With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/28651-how-machine-apply-wax-using-da-polisher.html)

what is a good speed to use with the otc product that you mentioned back up a little. I did get the porter cable and now will have to try my magic.

thanks for the help

WRXINXS
03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
is there a big difference between the flat pads and the contoured ones or dimpled ones?

do they pretty much do the same things?

They do do the same things but from what I have gathered people on this forum generally prefer the flat pads and the hydro tech pads because of easier cleanup and I believe slightly faster/better cutting action.

swanicyouth
03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
CCS 5.5" pads work great on a DA because they are small and thin and easy for the machine to move around. Originally, I tried bigger pads and got no where. Also, the Wolfgang polishes are affordable, simple(only 2), and user friendly. Try orange and white LC pads. Any quality foam pads should work great as long as they are not to big and are matched to the product you are using. Follow AG recommended combos and I don't think you'll go wrong. I found its 80% prep, practice, technique, taking your time and not getting frustrated and only 20% product. Any AG sold polish/pad combos related to your job should be fine

CLipster
03-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Where can you find some recommended combos or do you just put out questions on the forum and see what you get?

I was planning on trying megs compound and the swirlx first and then it have mez power lock and then collinite. Does that sound ok?

Thanks for the help.

bernoulli72
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I finally got to try everything out last weekend. I ended up getting the Griots RO, LC 5.5 pads, Megs Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, Megs 205, Megs Sealant #21. and Collinite Wax 845. I was pleased with the results. I went a little conservative and got something a little less aggressive than the Meg 105. The Megs Cleaner/Polish did not have a very long working time, so it took a few times to learn how to work with it. The other products all seemed to be pretty easy to use. I did damage my backing plate however. I had a small velcro (hook / loop) spot get hot an begin to melt. I am guessing I applied to much product to the foam and it soaked all the way through causing a hot spot? I was pleased with how the car turned out though.