PDA

View Full Version : Waxed Wheels Maintenance?

Pages : [1] 2

alko
03-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Whats up guys and gals?! I hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend. I got a question for ya'll...

So I rotated my tires today and while doing so, I cleaned them. I also put a layer of Collinte 915 on them. They look outstanding! So my question is...how do I maintain them?

I normally clean my wheels and tires with OPC and various brushes and MF wash mitts. Now that they have wax on them, wouldn't the 915 strip the wax after a few washes?

How do ya'll maintain your freshly waxed wheels and what products/cleaner do you use?

Thanks in advance!!!

Agfan
03-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Just use a nice shampoo and a wash mitt. Don't put wheel cleaner on unless needed.

BobbyG
03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi Alex,

Today could not have been better! 69 sunny degrees, warm, dry, sunny with a hint of a breeze.

The first thing you'll notice is that your wheels won't collect half the brake dust you're used to seeing. To wash, simply give them a quick wash with the same solution you use to wash the vehicle.

If you use a wheel cleaner it will strip the wax so be careful. I'm temped to coat my wheels with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. This is a real hard coating and will hold up even against some of the harshest cleaners...

fenderpicks
03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I tried using wax and v7 on my rims... and still i see brake dust COVER my rim -.-....

alko
03-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the response AGFan and Bobby.

Man Bobby....it turned out to be an awesome day for us over here. It was overcast for most of the morning but it was still pleasant. Then the sun broke through the clouds and it was great!!! Yesterday was absolutely fantastic out! I finally washed my car...it needed it BAD.

The rims looks great! I really like Collinite 915 it looks awesome on my dad's 300C. Next time I wash his car, I'm gonna take pics of it.

I tried using wax and v7 on my rims... and still i see brake dust COVER my rim -.-....

What kind of wax did you use?

fenderpicks
03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
fuzion, but im running with big brembo brake system...

alko
03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
OK gotcha. I hope the Collinite lasts awhile. I put some on right before winter but because I was using OPC it stripped it off real fast. I wasn't using common sense.

sparty
03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Alex,

I waxed my rims with Colly. Now they only need to be washed with my regular wash solution. The brake dust does not stick at all. I wax my rims once a month to be sure the protection lasts.

-Sparty

drisaudi
03-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I did the Opti Coat on my rims. Now all I use is the Water from the ONR after I wash the car. The brake dust still there much easier to get off.

umi000
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Use your regular wash solution to wash your wheels - the wax should help in getting the brake dust off easier.

pcw25
03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I waxed the rims on the Honda with 845. Didn't even last through the first rain. No beading, nothing. After that I didn't even bother. I hope you have better luck! But yeah regular wash solution would work fine. However mine never lasted long enough for me to be able to wash them with the wax still on the face of the wheel.

HellDemon
03-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Yup with waxed rims, don't use harsh chemicals like wheel cleaners unless it's omething you definitely can't get off; regular car wash works, though you will need to agitate it with a mitt/sponge. I used to put UPGP on my rims, felt like they really didn't help that much. Now I use wolf's, and just a spray of water is all that I need ;)

CASH XRS
03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
:hijacked:I just cleaned mine this weekend and they are already dirty. Now my wheels are bright orange so a little more noticeable, but will putting a wax on prevent that dirt or will it just make the wheel much easier to clean? (Sorry for the hijack alko!):hijacked:

Rix6
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
I think I'll give FK1000 hi-temp wax a try on mine when my tin shows up tomorrow. Im the MAN

pixelmonkey
03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
If you use a wheel cleaner it will strip the wax so be careful. I'm temped to coat my wheels with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. This is a real hard coating and will hold up even against some of the harshest cleaners...

thinking of doing the same thing in a few weeks.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D