PDA

View Full Version : help with opti mf pads

poweraid
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
to start I have not used any mf pads of any brand. I will be using flex 3401. now between the cut and polish pad. what's the real difference in these. it seems that can still finish better with foam than the polishing pad? for med cutting say if was using a orange foam which opti mf pad would u use the cut or the polish pad? what I'm thinking is if I get the polishing mf pads and then very my product used to what cut I need I could just use one type pad for correction and then finish with foam ? or would I be better off using the cutting pad ? any input be appreciated

Chris Thomas
03-18-2012, 03:44 PM
to start I have not used any mf pads of any brand. I will be using flex 3401. now between the cut and polish pad. what's the real difference in these. The compounding pad has a denser foam interface and a slightly different face material. it seems that can still finish better with foam than the polishing pad? You will only need to finish with foam on very soft or non-OEM paints unless you are shooting for a show car finish. In that case, you will need foam for a final finishing pass. Some paints finish just fine and others don't. for med cutting say if was using a orange foam which opti mf pad would u use the cut or the polish pad? If you are just doing a one step or AIO you should use the polishing pad and just use more pressure. what I'm thinking is if I get the polishing mf pads and then very my product used to what cut I need I could just use one type pad for correction and then finish with foam ? For personal vehicles, you may be able to find a single product to fit your needs, but if you are going to be detailing various vehicles, you can never just have a single solution that will work on all cars. These pads are very inexpensive, so there's really no need to choose only one. Get one of each to evaluate how they meet your needs and make future purchases based on what your testing determines. or would I be better off using the cutting pad ? any input be appreciated

You can use the MF system on about 90% the cars on the road and never reach for foam, but I would never count on being able to throw away your heavy cutting pads or fine finish foam pads.