PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a used car

Shane731
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
My sister is in desperate need of a good used car. We live in Powell, TN, just north of Knoxville and east of Oak Ridge. I think we would be able to drive a reasonable distance to look at any serious prospects (I'm thinking 2- 3 hours max), but we would need to have it examined by a trustworthy, qualified mechanic. We have a mechanic here we use and trust, but cannot seem to find a car she likes in this area. I have been looking at both the dealerships I work at, and we have been checking a lot of the local dealer websites, but no luck so far. So I was wondering if you guys could help us out. Here's what she's looking for:

Specifications:

Honda Accord or possibly a Civic
1999 - 2004 (give or take a year)
less than 150,000 miles
$7500 or less
clean title
maintenance records are preferred
power locks and windows preferred
cloth seats preferred
does not like red or gold paint
automatic transmission a must
needs little to no major repairs - updated maintenance schedule a must (don't want a car that has never had an oil change or needs a lot of work - cost concerns)

If anyone near Knoxville knows of a car that might suit this criteria or knows someone or a dealer with one for sale, please let me know. If you need my cell number, send me a PM. Thanks!

rwright
03-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Check autotrader.com and eBay. I know you prefer to have someone here offer something but at least these 2 websites will give you an idea of what's out there. Maybe check CarMax.

timaishu
03-18-2012, 02:25 AM
I think my sister Honda Accord is a 2000 or 2001. Anyways, I would avoid those years like the plague.

Her car is a piece of crap. Been to the mechanic wayyyy to many times. Oh and the paint is totally oxidized.

SpoiledMan
03-18-2012, 02:30 AM
I think my sister Honda Accord is a 2000 or 2001. Anyways, I would avoid those years like the plague.

Her car is a piece of crap. Been to the mechanic wayyyy to many times. Oh and the paint is totally oxidized.

The specific ones to avoid are the V6 automatic cars from 99-03. They're very prone to tranny failure. I may be off a year or two either way but the entire generation is bad in that combo. 4 cylinder cars are fine with either trans.

Flash Gordon
03-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Don't you work for a dealership?

Find out what day they go to auction and tag along...BRING CASH AND PAY ATTENTION!!!

mswerb
03-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Try cars.com

opie_7afe
03-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Don't you work for a dealership?

Find out what day they go to auction and tag along...BRING CASH AND PAY ATTENTION!!!
i again agree with flash(amazing huh!) when i worked for a dealer i could go if i wanted just ask depends on how your boss is or whatever. other good places to check is craigslist,of course ebay and auto trader, and some auction houses have public auctions at times so check into that, sometimes you can get an amazing deal on a car that is just dirty or needs a tiny bit of work and always read the fine print of the auction house you go to, and be sure you know how that particular one operates in terms of car rating ect. good luck man. i suggest a toyota/scion/lexus i have not had any real bad mechanical issues with my car execept for one i knew of when i bought it. but the engines run great,cheap to fix most parts you can REBUILD! instead of replace! take a starter for instance 10$ for the parts 120$ for a new starter ;) power steering pump is about same pricing...those 2 are the only things i needed to replace on my 'yota besides regular maintence items

timaishu
03-18-2012, 01:25 PM
The specific ones to avoid are the V6 automatic cars from 99-03. They're very prone to tranny failure. I may be off a year or two either way but the entire generation is bad in that combo. 4 cylinder cars are fine with either trans.

My sisters is the v6. Makes sense.

gewb
03-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Given her price range, she should give serious consideration to the Hyundai Elantra 2003 - 2006.

Regards,
GEWB

Flash Gordon
03-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Given her price range, she should give serious consideration to the Hyundai Elantra 2003 - 2006.

Regards,
GEWB

Hi Gary :)

gewb
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi Gary :)
Hey Flash! How is the world treating you?

Weather is getting nice in Denver - almost time to do the annual polish!

Regards,
GEWB

Flash Gordon
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey Flash! How is the world treating you?

Weather is getting nice in Denver - almost time to do the annual polish!

Regards,
GEWB

The World is trying to treat me like crap, but I ain't having it...How've you been doing? Did you go back to work? Wife/Parents okay?

I polished my car last month. Its currently a filthy mess with all the pollen

Good to hear from you Gary!

gewb
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Know what you mean about the World...

Yup, went back in October. I commute, again - this time it's not 1,100 miles a week in Nelly. Nooo, I commute from Denver to Nashville a couple weeks a month with the rest of tthe time working from my home office. Getting to know TSA folks at two airports. Got a promotion and a raise. Had to choose between three offers so I know the economy must be improving.

Not looking foreward to the pollen in Nashville - I hear it's nasty. Doesn't get too bad in Colorado until May / early June and then not as bad as other parts of the country.

What do you use to wash that stuff off?

Regards,
GEWB

Flash Gordon
03-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Know what you mean about the World...

Yup, went back in October. I commute, again - this time it's not 1,100 miles a week in Nelly. Nooo, I commute from Denver to Nashville a couple weeks a month with the rest of tthe time working from my home office. Getting to know TSA folks at two airports. Got a promotion and a raise. Had to choose between three offers so I know the economy must be improving.

Not looking foreward to the pollen in Nashville - I hear it's nasty. Doesn't get too bad in Colorado until May / early June and then not as bad as other parts of the country.

What do you use to wash that stuff off?

Regards,
GEWB

Thats great news Gary! I knew they couldn't keep a good man down for to long

I just let it collect untill it (pollen season) is over. Stuff drives me crazy enough trying to deal with it on customers cars

Sorry about jackin your thread Shane

:bump: for used car info!