PDA

View Full Version : removing wax without machine polishing

cpa5oh
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
I want to put Blackfire Wet Diamond with Midnight Sun on top on my black car. I've got so many damn products that I can't even remember what all has been put on it...I want it all off so that I can apply the Wet Diamond onto clean paint. What are effective, efficient ways of getting old products off of the paint WITHOUT breaking out the polisher and hitting it with a compound/polish?

- Would a clay bar pretty much do it? What would be the best lube if a clay bar will do it?
- Prep-all from a local auto parts store?
- IPA wipedown?

Thanks!

ArkayoDeetayo
03-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I want to put Blackfire Wet Diamond with Midnight Sun on top on my black car. I've got so many damn products that I can't even remember what all has been put on it...I want it all off so that I can apply the Wet Diamond onto clean paint. What are effective, efficient ways of getting old products off of the paint WITHOUT breaking out the polisher and hitting it with a compound/polish?

- Would a clay bar pretty much do it? What would be the best lube if a clay bar will do it?
- Prep-all from a local auto parts store?
- IPA wipedown?

Thanks!

You have several options

Option A - use OPC
Option B - use CG CLEAR or RED
Option C - Griots prewax
Option 4 - Pinnacle lotion

as for lube, you again have several choices
Option A - ONR mix
Option B - dedicated clay bar lube like CG Clay Lube, blackfire's lube, wolfgang etc
Option C - any detail spray you have
Option 4 - soapy water

Danube
03-18-2012, 04:43 AM
Dawn or IPA.

BobbyG
03-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Without going crazy.....

Wash
Clay
Either Klean Strip Prep-All or IPA
BlackFire Sealant
BlackFire Midnight Sun

A good alternative to a store bought clay lube; mix 1 ounce of your favorite liquid car wash concentrate in 22 or so ounces of water, mix, and have at it.

mg6045
03-18-2012, 07:57 AM
To keep it in the family.

You could add 1oz of BF APC into your wash bucket and wash to strip off old product. (This dilution was recommended by Todd on autopia). He also said that 2oz per bucket could be used for stubborn sealants.

Or , you could use the Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleaner by hand with a foam applicator. That stuff cleans and strips the paint very well.

OR, you could use the BF Total Polish&Seal to strip and clean the paint, and also lay down a base for the BF product line. This AIO is awesome, even by hand. and will easily strip your paint.

Personally adding APC to the wash bucket is likely the easiest solution.

I do not prefer to use body shop paint strippers. They will dry out the paint, leave residue of there own if not carefully stripped AFTER stripping your paint, and some can absolutely wreak havoc on plastic or rubber trim. So yeah, Using body shop products for finishing is kind of working backwards. Pour some on your hand. If its harsh and drys out your hands, you can bet it will do something similar to your paint.