PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer?

Pages : 1 [2]

Excessive Detail
04-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm taking this time to show off my setup, by far in my opinion the best brand on the market, a little expensive, but well worth it in the long run, sound quality is amazing in both my sub and highs. I hit a 134 db on the dash with just that one sub. If you hae the money give any JL Audio Product a try.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/P1010041.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/P1010040-1.jpg

My highs are all Boston Aocustics SL Seperates 5x7s, another great brand, amazing sound quality and fairly priced. The sub is a 12" JL W7, Amps are JL 300/4 and 500/1
Not the greates install, but I wanted to keep it simple and not affect the car in any way so when I sell it or trade it in its like it was when it was new. My next project is a 7" lcd screen in my front grill, yes, front grill, also I'm gonna try and put some 3.5" screens in my headlights. Definitley posting pics when that happens.

01SVTvert
04-12-2007, 08:52 PM
A metra converter works fine if not abused for low signals. There are plenty of people who use (i am planning to) these converters and get a decent signal out of them. You can tap into the rear speaker signals usually and get a decent sound from a sub. One recommendation, get a 12" if single, a lot more cone area equals a lot more air moved and a decent sound, plus it goes lower.

Budget dictates everything here, you could get the sub and amp with a converter and then convert to a better head unit later if necessary. You could also swap out your factory speakers before and see an improvement in sound quality.

Plenty of sites out there for car audio. Buy a decent sub that fits within your budget as well as a decent amp and you are good to go.

Big thing with a converter is not not abues it and send a higher signal than needed to the amp which usually results in distortion. Simple explanation for something that is more complex than a simple paragraph.

Excessive Detail
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
There are also converters that will boost rca voltage to that of aftermarket units, JL makes one called the Clean Sweep, expensive, but for those with cars that they haven't made radio kits for or thse higher end systems with optical audio connections, this is the way to go. They do make some cheep converters with adjustable gains, which will aid in sound quality an power.

clr1024
04-16-2007, 06:20 PM
10" will hit harder than 12". all you lose by dropping down to a 10 from a 12 is a little bit of power handling

No way my current 10 hits harder than my previous 12, power is the same if not more to the 10. I had the SPL and the SQ with the 12, just got to pick the right one. As I said if I had the room for the 12 I would of put one in without thinking twice.