PDA

View Full Version : Tire Crap!

Pages : [1] 2

alko
03-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Whats up boys and girls....

So when I detailed my dad's 300C, all around the lip of all of the rims had this caked on, baked on gunk...I'm thinking its the tire gel crap (glue?) that they apply when changing tires. Is there anything that can get this crap off? I'll try to take pics later this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

lokichaos
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Did you try APC? maybe degreaser??

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2012, 12:48 PM
CG Crap Remover. I think one of the other members has a gallon he isn't using.

Grifftech
03-16-2012, 01:55 PM
If it's crap, did you try toilet paper? :)

alko
03-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Did you try APC? maybe degreaser??

Yep....OPC didn't work...that stuff won't budge. Its gonna need something strong to cut it. I'm thinking the tires need to come off and then apply whatever product. Its pretty bad and I don't know why he didn't say anything to the manager.

CG Crap Remover. I think one of the other members has a gallon he isn't using.

If it's crap, did you try toilet paper? :)
I tried that.. even double ply and it broke the paper :-/ tragedy! ;)

Grifftech
03-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I tried that.. even double ply and it broke the paper :-/ tragedy! ;)

Sorry couldn't resist. Maybe try Goo Gone Spray Gel, 12oz (http://www.googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-Spray-Gel-12oz)

I actually used this on my tinted windows. I had work done on the power windows and they greased the gears and then it got vertical streaks all over the tint and nothing I tried worked. So I took a deep breath and tried it on a small area and it came RIGHT off. I then sprayed it on and let it sit and it didn't bother the tint.

Maybe if you can spray it up under there it will loosen it some. Or maybe WD40

IOMCAMARO
03-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Alex, try using a bug and tar remover. :props:

SwerrledUp
03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Is it black, looks drippy? It could be bead seal... Quick and easy try rubbing quickly with your finger, has worked for me.
If you have brake cleaner spray that on a microfiber and wipe - then clean rim after.

Klasse Act
03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I also vote for brake cleaner on the towel but honestly, I've never had a tire shop leave any type of goop on the tires.

alko
03-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys...I'm definitely going to try them all out. They totally jacked up the rims. I was so pissed. I'll take pics sometime this weekend. I really want to get that crap off.

Flash Gordon
03-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Laquer thinner and a towel your willing to sacrifice

SwerrledUp
03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I work in a shop that's a quick lube / used cars / rustproofing / tire center / detailing shop (lol we don't know how to answer the phone) and I've installed many many tires - the sad fact is most shops rush the cars through and you try to keep it clean but in a rush sometimes things get messy (especially in the service shop we're attatched to). If a car comes in clean you do your best to keep it clean but sometimes you make a mess :(

At my shop we courtesy wash every vehicle so the rims never leave with greasy handprints ;)

jekyl05
03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
another thought is a steamer... give that a shot?

ArkayoDeetayo
03-16-2012, 10:17 PM
since OPC is pretty strong and didn't work (assuming you used it UNDILUTED), it is meant to be the strongest possible while maintaining safety, I assume you have to dig into chemicals that could be harmful so be careful

Since you said it is glue or glue-like, maybe you can try an acid-based cleaner such as megs WB, or a stronger cleaner like Zep purple, or even poorboy's spray and rinse?

Shane731
03-16-2012, 10:17 PM
This product comes to mind:

Griot's Garage Rubber Prep, Griots Rubber Cleaner, Griots Garage Rubber Prep Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rubber-prep.html)

Since I don't use silicone based dressings I don't have a need for this product myself and as such have never tried it, but it claims to remove silicone buildup. Perhaps you could give it a try? That, or use a strong concentration of all purpose cleaner or degreaser and a stiff bristled brush. I should think that one of the two would do the trick. Just shooting out some thoughts here.