PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Brightener - how to work with toxic chemicals safely...

Pages : [1] 2

washnwax
03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Based off of a recommendation by my BMW dealer, the stuff works well at cleaning factory rims.

Now while I like the idea of not running out of wheel cleaner for the summer, and that my rims would look great, I believe this label is describing a situation for health concern when using it.

My intention was to dilute to a spray bottle and spray it on my rims - so is the diluted mixture that much less potent? And, just like any other wheel cleaner, I'd undoubtedly breath in some vapor in at some point...haven't we all accidentally huffed wheel cleaner when sprayed at the precise moment the wind decided to change direction???

Looking for some advise....

Peter

SeaJay's
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Only way to avoid this type of issue is a respirator. Which I myself have yet to get...I really need to though.

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, at least they tell you to use calcium gluconate gel. You need to be really, really careful with that stuff. I would have calcium gluconate on hand and you want gloves, respirator and safety glasses, if not a face shield.

That's actually a pretty well written label for an HF/ABF wheel cleaner. Some guys will come after me here and tell you that they put that stuff on their breakfast cereal, but to me those kind of products are not really advisable to be used outside of a controlled (industrial) environment.

dad07
03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
resirator,saftey goggels and gloves and you'll be fine.

Rix6
03-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Consider putting it in a squirt bottle instead of spraying it. Squirt some on a sponge and carefully scrub. Nitrile gloves, respirator, long sleeves, safety glasses and/or goggles, and a face shield to protect your face from splash damage. Or just take the stuff back and clean with something more mild, then seal your rims so they clean up easier next time.

-Rick

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Or just take the stuff back and clean with something more mild, then seal your rims so they clean up easier next time.

Unfortunately, there is nothing as effective as HF/ABF. There are some milder, safer acids, but they won't really dissolve stuff like the HF/ABF. However it's really an insidious hazard, and in some ways remarkable that it winds up being used in people's driveways.

FUNX650
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Based off of a recommendation by my BMW dealer, the stuff works well at cleaning factory rims.

Now while I like the idea of not running out of wheel cleaner for the summer, and that my rims would look great, I believe this label is describing a situation for health concern when using it.

My intention was to dilute to a spray bottle and spray it on my rims - so is the diluted mixture that much less potent? For Health reasons...NO!

And, just like any other wheel cleaner, I'd undoubtedly breath in some vapor in at some point...haven't we all accidentally huffed wheel cleaner when sprayed at the precise moment the wind decided to change direction???...You don't ever want to be involved in HF huffing!

Looking for some advise....

Peter

Here's a couple of places to get some advice:

http://www.ehsassociates.com/files/HF_Training_Booklet.pdf

CDC | Facts About Hydrogen Fluoride (Hydrofluoric Acid) (http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/hydrofluoricacid/basics/facts.asp)

-How you can get more information about hydrogen fluoride:

Regional poison control center: 1-800-222-1222
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Public Response Hotline (CDC)
800-CDC-INFO
888-232-6348 (TTY)
E-mail: cdcinfo@cdc.gov

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards

Be very careful! (Why not use something else like the P21S or S100 wheel cleaning products...They're not supposed to be able to morph into HF when exposed or mixed with water/moisture.)

:)

Bob

SRTSean
03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
With all the other options out there that are safe to use, why bother with this kind of caustic stuff?

Meticulous-Detail
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
With all the other options out there that are safe to use, why bother with this kind of caustic stuff?

I agree. I can think off some very good wheel cleaners that are less toxic and safer to use.

arack
04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Why not use some Sonax wheel cleaner.

604_Snooze
04-14-2012, 09:45 PM
some people think Sonax is expensive. $100 for 5L compare to White Brightener and Brown Royal, 1 Gallon for $2x, can also be diluted.

timaishu
04-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I have wheel brightener and I only used it once. I dont really care for it. I cannot imagine a situation that OPC couldnt take care of, atleast for me as a hobbyiest.

Dr Oldz
04-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I love Sterling and have used it for many years. Great product! Respirator, gloves and glasses and you should be fine. I never use any of those but guess I should!

SonOfOC
04-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Meg's wheel brightner is strong stuff. If clean you wheels at least monthly, you will not need anything stronger than APC.

I try to use the weakest stuff that will get the job done. For me even quick detailer or UWWP does the trick and Optimum APC for wheel barrels.

CEE DOG
04-15-2012, 12:09 AM
I'll stick with Iron X and GGHD wheel cleaners. Oh wait! Dad just sent me a gallon of brown royal! Can't wait to try that too! I agree Sonax is overpriced and overrated. Never tried megs WB