PDA

View Full Version : Odd topic but... question regarding a FLOOR JACK!!

fenderpicks
03-15-2012, 05:12 PM
So... i own this 2 ton alum tire (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36639646#) rack floor jack for about a year now... and last friday when i decide to use it again.... it raised up my car... but it will not lower it.....

Most of the time u turn it counter clockwise to lower the jack and clockwise to lock it to raise the car up....
So obviously i have tried clockwise and counter.... and the darn jack just wont go down.....

I paid almsot 200 (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36639646#)$ for this jack and im not ready to just throw it out....
So if any experts out there... had floor jack problems before please tell me if u know what is wrong with my floor jack and maybe i can fix this thing and keep on shining with it....

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-15-2012, 05:25 PM
There should be a release screw of some sort on it under the long handle.

fenderpicks
03-15-2012, 05:32 PM
i see there is a screw where the hydraulic pump is and i even poured out all the oil from there.... and it still wont go down

steved
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Hmm, sometimes the handle is not properly meshed with the release mechanism. Does the screw on the hydraulic jack turn when you turn the handle? Is anything binding on the jacking mechanism? Be careful.

crxman2010
03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
You will want to be careful at this point, if you drained the fluid it could drop randomly with nothing to stop it till it bottoms out on the jack....

I would recommend using your junk jack that is in the trunk, and grab another off a buddy and jack both sides up and get that floor jack out from under it before it drops the car, damaging someone or the car or both.

FUNX650
03-15-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm concerned about your safety, to say the least!

1. Is the floor jack still bearing the weight of the vehicle?
2. Is the vehicle being supported by jack stands?

If so: The safest thing you can do right now is borrowing another floor jack (or two if necessary) to jack-up the vehicle enough to remove the malfunctioning floor jack.

Once your floor jack has been safely removed is the time to work on it...Not while it's supporting a vehicle.

Just a word of caution.

:)

Bob

david79z28
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
I agree. Get that jack out from under the car and then mess with it....

Do you have a buddy that has a floor jack?

I'll bring mine if you live close to Greenville TX....

SkateForGirl
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Yea find a buddy that has another floor jack to safely lower the car. I had a problem like this once with the low profile blue floor jack you get at pepboys for 60 bucks. Now I've had the craftsman with the LED lights and never had an issue in the 3 years of ownership.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950242000P?prdNo=49&blockNo=49&blockType=G49)

On the other hand i've heard bad reviews on this jack but never had a problem myself and use consistantly too.

timaishu
03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Tools dont seem the made like they used to.

I have a floor jack that is Im guessing 19-20 years old and it works fine other than the twist handle sticking initially. Just gotta twist it hard and then tighten it back quick to lower smoothly. Im sure it just needs some lube.