PDA

View Full Version : Should I opti-coat/cquartz my soft paint?

Pages : [1] 2

HellDemon
03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a honda, and as you all know, it has unbelievably soft paint. It is however, white, so it is much less noticable when it gets scratched lightly, but it is my daily driver, so it would get beat up pretty bad if i didn't care for the paint at all.

While OC and CQ are very nice options since it is harder than stock clear coat, I also have quite a few waxes, glazes, etc. And I really don't want all that to go to waste since I know that stuff doesn't stick too well to opti-coat, although it's not like they simply slide off either right?

Since they are both the "end-all" LSP (if I use it, i'd still put waxes and the like on it, but i don't want to put it on if it only lasts say 1 week on it instead of the standard month or so), would it still be worth it to put it on when I have so many products to use? Or should I just wait till I use everything up?

And if you feel I should, should I go for OC or CQ? I have done alot of reading up on it and from reviews as well; OC seems to be more protective, but CQ can be layered and reapplied if I polish out a spot as opposed to OC which requires full removal of the layer.

shoeless89
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Its all up to you. I have OC but I wouldn't use it on my DD because I enjoy applying sealants and waxes. If you do apply OC I would not apply anything on top of it. It wouldn't last even a week probably. And if I had to pick between OC or CQ, I would go with OC

cpa5oh
03-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Is there a very noticeable difference in scratch resistance between Opti-Coat and regular paint/clearcoat?

If there is I'm in - rather just wash the car and hit it with Optimum's Instant Detailer than go through the whole wax routine...and it'd probably look just as good as the whole wax routine.

CEE DOG
03-15-2012, 07:08 PM
They are both excellent products honestly. You really can't go wrong with either. As far as hardness the CQ reaches full hardness a good deal faster.

Old Tiger
03-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I have a honda, and as you all know, it has unbelievably soft paint. It is however, white, so it is much less noticable when it gets scratched lightly, but it is my daily driver, so it would get beat up pretty bad if i didn't care for the paint at all.

While OC and CQ are very nice options since it is harder than stock clear coat, I also have quite a few waxes, glazes, etc. And I really don't want all that to go to waste since I know that stuff doesn't stick too well to opti-coat, although it's not like they simply slide off either right?

Since they are both the "end-all" LSP (if I use it, i'd still put waxes and the like on it, but i don't want to put it on if it only lasts say 1 week on it instead of the standard month or so), would it still be worth it to put it on when I have so many products to use? Or should I just wait till I use everything up?

And if you feel I should, should I go for OC or CQ? I have done alot of reading up on it and from reviews as well; OC seems to be more protective, but CQ can be layered and reapplied if I polish out a spot as opposed to OC which requires full removal of the layer.

I havent used CQ but I love Opti Guard which is same as OC but flashes quicker . IME if you do OC, it resists dirt so well you may not want to spoil the OC repellancy with a sealant and/or wax. I gave all my wax and sealants away and have no regrets. OID will have a lower surface tension than OCW and will add gloss to OC.

Old Tiger
03-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Its all up to you. I have OC but I wouldn't use it on my DD because I enjoy applying sealants and waxes. If you do apply OC I would not apply anything on top of it. It wouldn't last even a week probably. And if I had to pick between OC or CQ, I would go with OC
OC is a urethane substrate, very similar to clearcoat. Wax or sealant will bond to it but will restore the limatations of a wax or sealant.

Old Tiger
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Is there a very noticeable difference in scratch resistance between Opti-Coat and regular paint/clearcoat?

If there is I'm in - rather just wash the car and hit it with Optimum's Instant Detailer than go through the whole wax routine...and it'd probably look just as good as the whole wax routine.
IME, surface doesnt scratch as easy.. I havent done a Honda but have done 2 Lexus and the owners wouldnt go back to anything else.

Old Tiger
03-15-2012, 07:35 PM
The newest version of OC can be layered and can be repaired. I have done both with the latest version OG and OC has same features now.

bigez
03-16-2012, 08:33 AM
How do I get Opti-Guard?

starjammir
03-16-2012, 09:49 AM
I too have a Honda but I got a black one. I chose to opti-coat it as it is too my dd. I so far like it and it made it through a Michigan winter.

Old Tiger
03-16-2012, 10:13 AM
I too have a Honda but I got a black one. I chose to opti-coat it as it is too my dd. I so far like it and it made it through a Michigan winter.
You cant beat this endorsement. Take the plunge, the water is just fine!

Old Tiger
03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
How do I get Opti-Guard?
You need to own a business. I faxed my EIN to Optimum on a form they sent me. Dr. G. and Chris are great to work with!

Jomax
03-16-2012, 11:07 AM
So really how hard is ThIs stuff? On a black truck, would it get fine scratches easily?

KneeDragr
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
So really how hard is ThIs stuff? On a black truck, would it get fine scratches easily?

Here is a great video showing scratch resistance...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCXQ-AwEMs]Demonstration of Optiguard Clear Hard Coating - YouTube[/video]

And one showing not so great scratch resistance..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFIisOg343k]SCRATCH TEST.wmv - YouTube[/video]

So it looks like it will protect against light marring better than nothing, but against a scotch pad with pressure it didnt offer much protection. I think washing and QD'ing is much closer to the first test than the 2nd.
Also, the 2nd test probably removed the coatings after a couple passes so then it was just rubbing against bare paint.

cpa5oh
03-17-2012, 04:48 AM
The first video is pretty impressive...but wouldn't steel wool cause more abrasion than a scotch pad? I wonder if the Opti-Guard is just better at abrasion resistance than Opti-Coat?

If I can find a way to get my paint looking real nice (I'm not yet great with the DAorbital,) I may put a coating on...I feel like I scratch the black Camaro everytime I touch it as is without a coating, and it's very frustrating.