PDA

View Full Version : Concourse shows- Feedback

rakkvet
03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
How many of you have been to a concourse show?

What did you think of the condition of the cars?

Could you have done better?

Have you done a concourse detail?

I've put this on my list of things to do this year. I know there are a handful of concourse shows around.

Have any of you been to Barrett Jackson or one of the other big auctions?

What did you think of the show?

Tim

Porsche Pilot
03-15-2012, 06:16 AM
I go to several Concours events a year, most recently the Amelia Island Concours this past weekend. The condition of the cars vary greatly. The swirliest ones were the true collectibles with original everything. The judges will over look some swirls if the car is period and correct in every way. I would not want to buff out a million dollar Ferrari.

The more modern cars are a different story. I have seen plenty of swirled up messes. They are white glove clean but the paint really distracts me. I wouldn't park my car at Wal Mart looking like some of them.

I use the Concours score sheet when I judge at shows and it's about 6 pages long. Paint is only a small portion.

I have done full Concours prep for clients before. It is a tedious but enjoyable job. If the judge an open a compartment of any type or size they can and will look in it. Attention to detail is king.

"These cars are meant to be driven, not polished" - Dr. Ferdinand Porsche

Bates Detailing
03-15-2012, 06:40 AM
I used to work the Concourse De Elegance in Monterey Bay Ca when I solely detailed aircraft - and I can say on the aviation side we would crank out 10,000 + in a weekend. We did pull some cars to detail - some ridiculously expensive Bentley and a couple other exotics, but I did not touch them (my partner at the time did them). At the time I could care less about cars lol, now I wish I had got my hands on them. Even got to start a million dollar Italian hand made "race car" - couldn't tell you what it was and was kind of cool at the time lol. Now I would LOVE to work the auto side of the event! Much more passion for autos this time around lol. (all this was in like '03,'04,'05 if I remember correctly)

rakkvet
04-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for replying to me with your experiences. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.