PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar on windshield?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Grifftech
03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Is it safe or will it even work to use the same clay bar I would use on the paint and use it on the glass?

Thanks,
Chris

mrbh22
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
i have two different clays. one for paint and one for glass. yes it will work. make sure you actually clean the glass first. then use the clay with whatever lube u like. then re clean. then i like to wax the glass. its like rainx but without having to buy overpriced cheap spray wax

Grifftech
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
i have two different clays. one for paint and one for glass. yes it will work. make sure you actually clean the glass first. then use the clay with whatever lube u like. then re clean. then i like to wax the glass. its like rainx but without having to buy overpriced cheap spray wax

Would a paint sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond work on glass after cleaning and claying?

Bamaboy007
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Would a paint sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond work on glass after cleaning and claying?

yes

Klasse Act
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
I've always used my paint clay on the glass for years w/o a problem but I know that Griot's has their own glass clay though.

Setec Astronomy
03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I've always used my paint clay on the glass for years w/o a problem but I know that Griot's has their own glass clay though.

I think that's just to sell you another jar of clay.

then i like to wax the glass. its like rainx but without having to buy overpriced cheap spray wax

I find that sealants play nicer with wipers than waxes do.

Danube
03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
I always clay my windshield/windows, smart thing to do IMO.

bobble
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
I use the same clay as I used on the paint, do itr right after I'm done celaning the paint, I use a window cleaner as the lube for glass. I also save clay that's not too bad for wheels.

I use Klasse AIO on glass to seal, there are dedicated glass sealants but I have never taken the financial plunge for those.

walletless
03-14-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't see why you need to clay windshield.. may be I am missing something.

The reason to clay paint is obvious - contaminants can be deep inside the paint layer and not easy to remove from normal washing without causing surface scratches.

Windshield, OTOH, is more resistive to scrubbing harder to remover contaminants. Do people who clay the windshield really see a noticeable difference between just cleaning and cleaning+claying?

rider9195
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't see why you need to clay windshield.. may be I am missing something.

The reason to clay paint is obvious - contaminants can be deep inside the paint layer and not easy to remove from normal washing without causing surface scratches.

Windshield, OTOH, is more resistive to scrubbing harder to remover contaminants. Do people who clay the windshield really see a noticeable difference between just cleaning and cleaning+claying?

With some windshields you can't notice a difference after claying. But I have clayed mine before and it felt a lot smoother even though no contaminants seemed to come off on the clay. It doesn't take long to do either.

bobble
03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
I do but I clay, polish and seal the windshield not just clay. I get a heck of a lot of stuff off the glass that gets filled in the pits etc. The sealing levels the glass a bit.

Heck back in the good odl days I used to take 0000 steel wool to windshields and chrome on a regular basis.

Judge
03-14-2012, 07:23 PM
I agree that polishing takes it a step further than just claying. I've used Powerfinish with a white pad on my windshield and it made the glass look newer

Ron Atchison
03-14-2012, 08:08 PM

+1:props: Didn't believe it either until I did it.

Kaban
03-14-2012, 08:58 PM
yes you can do that

nickgodfrey
03-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I actually just clayed my windshield for the first time today and was amazed at how much crap I got off it. I used the same Meguiar's clay I used on the paint, and it was pretty awesome.