PDA

View Full Version : Tape question.......

Pages : [1] 2

fenderpicks
03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Okay so i know that the Scotch Green tape is for automotive purpose
And the blue is for painting the house kind of thing....

But i see many detailing videos people are using the blue one...

So im wondering is it the same blue one im thinking about from scotch that's meant for painting walls?

Will i be able to use those safely on a car's paint?

Danube
03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
The blue one is safe to use on cars, most of detailers use it ..

fenderpicks
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
okay as long as safe on cars... cus i got a few rolls

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I am tired of messing around with the typical yellow and blue painters tape not having enough holding power. Im going to start using the green tape from now on.

fenderpicks
03-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Oh so the blue ones are weaker....
Man are there any tips on how to apply tape on a car...?
I take forever to put tape around my car lol

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes the blue has half the holding power of the green. Just be carefull when pulling tape from paint. Keep it low and at a 45 degree angle when removing.

Kaban
03-14-2012, 12:35 AM
i use the green one i think its 233+ or 223+ 3M

not cheap but worth it. I'll try the blue ones soon and see how it is

rider9195
03-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Sometimes the blue tape works fine for me. Other times it tends to not want to stick at all.

Setec Astronomy
03-14-2012, 07:21 AM
i use the green one i think its 233+ or 223+ 3M

not cheap but worth it. I'll try the blue ones soon and see how it is

Yeah, the 233+ is the green one, it's really not that much more expensive than the real 3M blue painter's tape...although 3M has a jillion tapes, and of course they must make the Meg's automotive masking tape that's sold here at AG.

Kaban
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Sometimes the blue tape works fine for me. Other times it tends to not want to stick at all.

trust me, it's because you are not stripping the wax off enough. Had this issue a few times regardless of the type of tape i was using.

alko
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Before I polished out my dad's ride this past weekend, I went to Lowes to pick up a few things. Among those items was a roll of 3M blue painters tape. When I came across the roll, I noticed the package was different and it had written on it "With Edge Lock." I was actually quite pleased with this tape. I had a very strong adhesion and when I ran the buffer over it, it didn't pull up and spread the glue over the paint. I hated using the green 3M automotive tape. I felt it didn't have enough adhesion to it. Go pick up a roll and see for yourself.

AdamsImport
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Man I bought like 8 rolls of Blue Tape from Harbor Freight, and that stuff is bad...

I have to press the roll against the car in order to let it stick, and not have it start ripping in different directions... if I try to extend anymore than 4-6" of tape, it rips.

FUNX650
03-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I like the "Frog Tape" found at Lowe's; and the "Green-colored-Shurtape" found at Sherwin-Williams paint supply stores---which, BTW, also carries multi-colored/sizes of 3M painter's tapes.

:)

Bob

RaskyR1
03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I just order the Meguiar's tape and avoid all the confusion/hassle. Not all blue painters tape is the same and there is a time frame in which I believe they are "safe" for use on certain surfaces. As a rule of thumb, I just don't leave it on the car for more than a 24-48hr period and I usually take it off right after polishing that day.

Kristopher1129
03-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I have both the blue, and green tape. The green I have is 3M, and the blue isn't. Not sure what brand it is to be honest.

But, I've had a similar experience with the blue not sticking as well. The green seems to stick MUCH better than the blue. That being said, I have not tried 3Ms blue tape. Maybe it's just a crappy blue that I have.