PDA

View Full Version : 3 mistakes that sink detailing businesses.

Pages : [1] 2

3000rpm
03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
A recent post from my blog for pro detailers (http://startacardetailingbusiness.com/category/blog).

There's certainly more ways to fail, so add to this thread if you have some insight.

"On paper, a detail business looks like a cash cow. How much can it cost--beyond the elbow grease--to deep clean a car? But if you've noticed the failure rate of detail businesses in your town, there's obviously something going on--costs you don't obviously see--that's sinking these boats. Here's three of the most common causes of failure that I've seen over the years.

1. Toxic Pricing.
The most common mistake is "undercutting." Undercutting is not just setting an "affordable" price. It's pricing yourself 25% or more cheaper than the average price in town. "Hey, I'll make it up in volume" says the undercutter. But he ends up losing it in volume when--months later--he calculates his true cost per-car cost and finds he's losing money on each car. There's nothing wrong with pricing yourself cheaper when you're the new guy, but be conservative: maybe 10 - 15% less than average. After a few months in business, sit down and find your true per-car cost (including everything--the gatorade you drink while thirsty, laundry...everything). If you can afford it, and you think it will bring more business, drop your costs. But never make assumptions or guesses about costs. Only work off of the facts."

2. Excessive investment.
I emphasize that you shouldn't spend more than $2000 to get a mobile detail business started. I even encourage buying the expensive stuff (pressure washer, polisher, compressor) used on Craigslist to get your costs down to around $1250. Why start small? There's so many variables that go into a detailer's fate: weather, competition, the economy, and your untested sales skills to name a few. I can't count the number of times I've seen barely-used $10k - $20k detailing trailers on eBay and Craigslist. Start small, and test the waters. Test yourself! If you put in a solid 4 months and still have the passion, THEN it's time to invest in better equipment, more advertising, and hire help.

3. Careless customer service.
Never forget this: you're selling a service that no one needs. I'll repeat: no one needs car detailing. People need food, clothing, and a roof over their head. Detailing is a luxury and your customers have high expectations when they pay $200+ for a clean car. If you want to be a pro, and stay in business for years, never fail to: show up on time, finish on time and listen to and follow every customer request (with a few exceptions). You're going to make mistakes (that's a certainty), but customers forgive mistakes. What they never forgive and never forget is poor effort."

Klasse Act
03-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Although not a pro detailer, I used to do it on the side when I was married and had a garage and one thing I know is this, don't try and BS people, explain the process and what it takes to get there, plain and simple. When I would speak of clay barring they had no idea, so I'd show em' real quick before they left, running their finger from the treated to untreated part sold them right away, I've found people like this and would usually say "that's pretty cool". This is going to be a great thread for sure, good luck to you guys who put your neck AND money on the line, it takes alot of guts....and commitment!

david79z28
03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
One thing that turns me off about people in any business is arrogance!!!

No one is perfect. When those people make a mistake, they won't admit it. It's always someone else's fault!!!

So I would ad arrogance...

Rav777
03-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Good post, this will certainly help people out. Starting with too low of prices is a really bad idea and I have seen many scenarios play out in my business class. Low prices will only attract the bargain shoppers and might not leave room for loyal customers. On top of that when you want to UP your prices, there is a chance it might blowback on you and lose the "bargain shoppers." They will simply find the next cheap detailer out there, and there are many. I would keep my prices with something you feel comfortable with, but instead of dropping prices add discounts or special promotions instead. I offer $50 dollar wash and wax specials, but the only way to qualify for this package is if you have recently clayed your car. So I call it the customer appreciation wax special! Also don’t be a prude when it comes to pricing, if you are hurting for money or it’s a slow week you have the power to give people deals, they will oftentimes appreciate it and turn to regulars. From my experience there are people who really want to detail their cars, but they don’t have the cash because of the economy or recent job loss. Give them a deal and you will most likely be rewarded in the end, if not you will at least feel like you did something right.

One thing that has been helping me out lately as well is calling my clients. If it has been awhile give them a call and ask how they and their car are doing, it will most likely end in a booked appointment. Make them feel important and remind them about detailing their car. If you have the skills to do a full correction but cannot find the clients ask them if they would like to see small test spot, there is a higher chance of booking an appointment this way as well.

Practice good customer service like you practice getting better at detailing. One thing I learned working for my former boss is that if you don’t call them ASAP they will look elsewhere for a detailer. Get back to your customer as soon as you can, preferably that same day.

Vegas Transplant
03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Not knowing your market.
Find a niche and fill the void.

Bunky
03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
2. Excessive investment.[/B]
I emphasize that you shouldn't spend more than $2000 to get a mobile detail business started. I even encourage buying the expensive stuff (pressure washer, polisher, compressor) used on Craigslist to get your costs down to around $1250. Why start small? There's so many variables that go into a detailer's fate: weather, competition, the economy, and your untested sales skills to name a few. I can't count the number of times I've seen barely-used $10k - $20k detailing trailers on eBay and Craigslist. Start small, and test the waters. Test yourself! If you put in a solid 4 months and still have the passion, THEN it's time to invest in better equipment, more advertising, and hire help.

I guess you buy tools/supplies from someone who is getting out....like a car by just taking over the payments.

Bates Detailing
03-13-2012, 09:56 PM
LOL - I just spent an hour on the phone explaining all this to a gentlemen that called me from Georgia! What are the odds lol?!??!?!

Must add - don't pay for advertising!

Cosmin
03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Must add - don't pay for advertising!

u mean don`t pay for advertising that don`t work :))
i have no regrets to pay for advertise that brings me clients.

i never have a business "sink" so i can`t add to much to this article.
when you start are a lot of variables so depends a lot of how driven to success the person is.

Bates Detailing
03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
u mean don`t pay for advertising that don`t work :))
i have no regrets to pay for advertise that brings me clients.

i never have a business "sink" so i can`t add to much to this article.
when you start are a lot of variables so depends a lot of how driven to success the person is.

You are right - I can say that we have wasted thousands on advertising over the past year and a half. Word of mouth is by far our best advertising (just took time)..... then optimizing our website by researching through google how to optimize is up there as well (free - to an extent, time was exchanged). When it comes to business cards, website, google maps, yahoo places, office menus (.25 a piece for us), etc - sure the time and money is worth it. What I am talking about is the hundreds a month that we a stuck paying for spur of the moment decisions of jumping on the ban wagon (banners on local sites, yellowbook, seo companies). I stick to my guns by saying that working is the best form of advertisement (people walking up, seeing your work, and inquiring). IMO of course.

Cosmin
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I stick to my guns by saying that working is the best form of advertisement (people walking up, seeing your work, and inquiring). IMO of course.

i usually deal with the 3rd person , or detail cars in private residence yard and that don`t bring me a volume of traffic around like when you detail in a parking lot or public place.

so far the wrap i put on the car is a blessing!

nickgodfrey
03-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Very awesome original post, and some great responses. Thanks a ton for this one! Hey, that rhymed...

I can attest to the under cutting prices aspect. When I started last year only doing mobile (no trailer, just brought my stuff) I was asking $35 for a full interior plus a wash and tire dress, door jambs, windows etc. My first customer laughed at me and gave me $50 and said they still felt like they were ripping me off. Now it's more like $70. You don't have to give away your services to attract customers. Most people have a good idea what detailing should cost, and if they're contacting you in the first place, they won't have a problem paying what the job is worth.

bimmer325!
03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
VERY good post!! Information to live by if you are considering starting a business soon or in the future. Number 3 is the most important...without good dedication and professionalism...you wont be in business long.

Hoytman
03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
My questions to all who have poste thus far.

1. How many of you took the time to read the Op's blog link?

2. How many of you are going to drop $40 bucks for his info?

3. Though some, if not all, of the info is good on the op, isn't this borderline spam? (I'm not suggesting, I'm asking.)

silverfox
03-14-2012, 06:41 AM
"Never forget this: you're selling a service that no one needs. I'll repeat: no one needs car detailing"...I think many people rushing to start a detailing business seem to think that people are lined up waiting to get their car detailed. Most people don't even know what the word means, including about 98% of people I talk with. "Oh, you mean you wash cars"...is what I get back. Then they follow that up with... "I can get a better deal from Delta Sonic down the road" in 15 minutes.

Bottom line...to sell a service that nobody needs...you better be REALLY good, really lucky (good location, etc), or really ready for having little or no time for things in your life that are far more important.

I love detailing cars...but I would NEVER consider doing this as a means to make a living. I love it too much to ruin that. I really salute those who have taken the plunge and are successful. You either have NO hair or gray hair by this point (you've paid your dues).

Mike Phillips
03-14-2012, 07:30 AM
I'd add that people new to detailing cars don't match their services to their customer...

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html)

More people just want shiny paint, clean windows, clean interior and black tires than a swirl-free show car finish.

:)