PDA

View Full Version : Help with Polishing

Vizzin72
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi,

I am having trouble finding specific tips on polishing.

it seems alot of the stores around me carry stuff like Nu Finish and zymol which i beleieve are more like wax cleaners. I am willing to try them, but I already have a preferred wax and i want to continue to put the wax on in its own step.

i am looking for a recomendation for a good decent priced polish easy to use with my orbital buffer (also what type material bonet should i use (all i have at this point it microfiber). i was told that mothers was good ... i used to use meguires.

i detail both light and dark colored cars and need something that will suit both.

i realize that i may have to use some rubbing compound to get minor scratches and scuffs out, but should a good polish product lift some of this when using a orbital buffer? if not, recomendation on the rubbing compound?

Thanks

StephenK
03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
are you talking about the big 10" orbital polisher? I personally have never had any luck removing defects with one of those. you should step up to a DA polisher. they are very user friendly and safe

Vizzin72
03-13-2012, 08:48 AM
well i would be willing to try ... how about my hand don't some folks polish that way still ?

StephenK
03-13-2012, 09:15 AM
i do not and dont really hear about anybody else doing it by hand. there are tight spots on cars that need to be done by hand(under door handes etc...). doing it by hand will take forever and i personaly dont believe the finish will be as evenly polished. arm is fresh for the first panel but when you get to the last panel the arm is "dead" so less pressure is used

Vizzin72
03-13-2012, 09:21 AM
thanks and i appreciate ... would you recomend mothers polish ? and is it ok to use a microfiber bonnet on my buffer if i do not have time to purchase a DA.

StephenK
03-13-2012, 09:27 AM
i have not used Mothers polish so i can not say either way on them. there is a thread on here doing a review on them.

Vizzin72
03-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I decided against mothers cause i couldn't find it went with meguires ultimate compound and polish.

here are the results on some minor scratch/smudges.

i did not mean for this to be a product review ... it was rather a lessons learned for me in polishing ... maybe someone else will find it helpfull.

thanks