PDA

View Full Version : Are our favorite products killing us?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Impressions
03-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Are environmental toxins killing us? that is the question

What are we to believe......labels, large chemical companies word about safe products or the companies that sell these products! (no offense AG)

Are the chemicals, waxes, compounds, polishes, etc that we handle and breathe reaking havoc on our bodies imune system?

What can we do about it?

I'm not looking for answers to these questions, I would like for people in the detailing industry to be aware of the dangers in our field.

Hopefully, maybe AG, someone could do product reviews about safety not just what the label tells us.

We all know we should wear protection like gloves and masks but in reality most don't.
So feel free to chime in on your thoughts and feelings please

Vegas Transplant
03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Are environmental toxins killing us?

Are the chemicals, waxes, compounds, polishes, etc that we handle and breathe reaking havoc on our bodies imune system?

I'm not looking for answers to these questions, I would like for people in the detailing industry to be aware of the dangers in our field.

We all know we should wear protection like gloves and masks but in reality most don't.
So feel free to chime in on your thoughts and feelings please

Zep Purple in my go to for class 8 vehilcles. The MSDS and warnings from the manufacturer are obvious, and I use caution. But as for the rest of my supplies...?

Mike Phillips
03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi Robert,

I sent an e-mail to some of my friends in this industry to see if they could chime in with their thoughts, below are some general guidelines...

Safety first...
First educate yourself on the product you're using. Contact the manufacture of the products that are staples in your arsenal and find out if there are any health concerns.

Wear appropriate safety gear. If working with dangerous chemicals that can get onto your body, even when blown by the wind, consider wearing a chemical resistant apron, gloves, face shield and respirator. When choosing a respirator, find one that fits correctly and comfortably.

If you find a product you really like but it comes with its own health risks, look for an alternative that will do the same job but do it safely. Sometimes you have to give up speed for safety.

Have appropriate medical supplies handy in case of an accident, things like an eye wash, bandages and the phone number to your Dr. Be aware of the location of the nearest hospital and/or walk-in clinic.

:xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Let me say first it's always safer to use protective gear. Sometimes younger guys don't realize that you can develop sensitivities over time or as a result of aging and suddenly develop reactions to products you were fine with before.

As a pro detailer you also have a lot more exposure time than a weekend hobbyist, that makes it more important for you to be concerned and also to be more proactive in taking precautions.

As far as product reviews about safety--how can you do that for something that might take years to have an effect? Just like it's hard to parse MSDS's because it's much easier for the mfr. to just tell you to wear gloves, so they always do (what I mean is it's difficult from reading MSDS's to tell what is the dangerous stuff and what isn't--because they all tell you to wear gloves, etc.)

Most products now seem to be water-based, and of course most of the active ingredients are silicone-based, which are also used in food and cosmetic products, so I think probably we are a lot safer than we used to be, of course there are the HF and ABF wheel cleaners that I think people are too cavalier about.

Impressions
03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
in my opinion, any chemical vapors and contact or product dusting will adversly affect some system in our bodies over time.

It's very difficult to put 100% faith in what chemical companies tell us about their products.

So for now on I will be wearing gloves and a "high end" mask that is made for what we do when I work.

I know there are "Green" products out there but without these chemicals will they perform the same?

alko
03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
along the lines of the OP...we had a really good discussion on the below thread. I detailed my pops car and I was using the WG leather cleaner. There was hardly any air circulation in th garage (door was open too) and I felt my lungs were getting aggrivated by the product hanging in the air after spraying. I had to put a mask on to try to minimize what I was inhailing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/42226-do-you-guys-wear-masks.html

alko
03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
So for now on I will be wearing gloves and a "high end" mask that is made for what we do when I work.

what kind of mask are you using?

Setec Astronomy
03-13-2012, 08:29 AM
in my opinion, any chemical vapors and contact or product dusting will adversly affect some system in our bodies over time.

Boy, from my perspective there are hardly any vapors any more with ODP and VOC restrictions. Certainly inhalation of spray mist or dust potentially will cause problems, magnified by doing it every day.

I remember reading an article about asbestos and your lungs, that your body is actually able to remove the asbestos from your lungs over time. The problem is the time is a lot longer than one day, so you're ok if you breathed some once or once in a while, it's not ok if you worked in an asbestos plant and were breathing more in every day.

So if you are a pro detailer, it would be smart for you to protect yourself from contact (gloves) and breathing spray mist or dust (particle mask), and if there are solvent vapors present an organic vapor respirator.

vet
03-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Like the old joke, "I've read so much about the dangers of everything I like to do, I've decided to give up reading."

Setec is right. Use common sense and take precautions when using any chemical. Adding more to the labels would probably lead to fewer people reading it. Keep it Simple, Simon.

Impressions
03-13-2012, 08:33 AM
what kind of mask are you using?

right now just cheap paper (betteer than nothing), but I'm looking into 3M masks, they seem to offer a great selection.

$$$$ should not be a factor in the purchase of a high quality mask!
find what suits you and shop for it's best deal

alko
03-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Like the old joke, "I've read so much about the dangers of everything I like to do, I've decided to give up reading."

Setec is right. Use common sense and take precautions when using any chemical. Adding more to the labels would probably lead to fewer people reading it. Keep it Simple, Simon.

I don't read....

that said yeah...commone sense is the best practice.

right now just cheap paper (betteer than nothing), but I'm looking into 3M masks, they seem to offer a great selection.

$$$$ should not be a factor in the purchase of a high quality mask!
find what suits you and shop for it's best deal

Yeah I'm definitely looking to get a good quality mask. I am not down for the long term side effects from working with chemicals.

Audios S6
03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I have no firm belief one way or another, but.....I could definitely see microfiber being the new asbestos. We all see the linting on windows and for pro detailers exposed to it everyday I think there is a potential that this become an issue in the future; maybe moreso for the people manufacturing it.

Renny Doyle
03-13-2012, 09:14 AM
This is something close to my heart as I have been detailing for a long time and plan on having many years of doing what I love. While my input is not scientific, I do have a fair amount of medical training both as a EMT and OEC Tech from my years on Mountain Rescue Teams. So, I am going to share with you as both a detailer and as a field technician within EMS.

I have a saying I share with others, "If it's on you, it's in you"! Gloves are a must!! I wear gloves even while using safe, water based products.
When ever I am compounding and polishing, I wear at minimal a dust mask. I have been doing this even when I enter the back shop when others are performing correction work and my lungs are much healthier.
When I dry or wet sand, I am wearing eye, breathing and hand protection. Remember, the eyes absorb materials as does the mouth so you want to take precautions.
Car interiors are unhealthy environments. Recent studies show vehicle interiors have more germs and gunk then most public restrooms. Do a fast pre-clean before entering the vehicle using a cleaner that will work on germs and bacterial matter alike and again, glove up and wear the above outlined protective items.

Good ventilation is everything - For you mobile guys, keep upwind while spraying and don't assume just because you are outdoors, you don't need personal protections items. You do!
Fixed location guys in cold weather environments, invest in an air purifier to get the air moving and remove the bad stuff. This can be spendy, but what is your health worth. Getting fresh air into your shop is important and like I said earlier, even if I enter the back shop to get something, I am now wearing a mask and it's made a huge difference with my breathing and overall health.

Drop the nasties - I read the MSDS sheets and research the info. If I find something that is known to be dangerous, I will find an alternative. I know some things we use are just plan nasty, but if there is an alternative, I would rather be safe and healthy then save five minutes.

Like so many have said before me, it comes down to using your head and sticking with your safety plan. You only have one body and you need to take steps to take care of it!

Happy detailing all...

RaskyR1
03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Great advice, Denny! :dblthumb2:

Gloves are a no brainer but some of the masks can be very uncomfortable to wear, especially on hot days. For the most part I don't wear a mask, but when I know I'll be generating a lot of dust or using something nasty I'll put one on. ;)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/Optima/20111127-_MG_6151.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/1960%20Impala/20110602-_MG_4891.jpg

Rasky

LegacyGT
03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
I agree, great advice in here.

I make a strong effort to work as safe as I can, dust mask when compounding, chemical respirator for chemicals.

It may be uncomfortable, but I am sure it is keeping me healthy for years to come.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-FjXpzPr/0/L/i-FjXpzPr-L.jpg

I would challenge PBMG products to be more forthcoming with their MSDS sheets. About a year ago I went through and requested MSDS from for all the products I used, and out of all of them, PBMG and Poor Boys were the only two that really hassled me about getting access to them.