PDA

View Full Version : Detailing

andremac3000
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Hey Mike

My name is Andre

I am about to start my detailing business also auto sales so i am joining the two to maximize my sales. I think doing both more people will see my auto detailing work and i think doing this will be more outstanding than Auto Dealers just buying & selling their cars.

I was reading an article on how to detail from basics(Production Detailing) which i am familiar with i am now looking to move to the next step where i can now use an orbital buffer where i had purchase a Porter Cable 7424XP.

Well i am looking at Wolfgang products - wolfgang swirl remover 3.0, wolfgang final finishing glaze, wolfgang deep gloss sealant, pinnacle souveran paste wax/ signature series II wax.
BlackFire Products
Product Detailing - Klasse Super Size Kit/Clay Bar

These are the products i am going to use especially Wolfgang & use BlackFire for show car detailing in future after getting better and more experienced and for Product Detailing i'll use Klasse Super Size Kit/Clay Bar

Mike i'll like your expert opinion on this

Kaban
03-13-2012, 12:55 AM
nice list of products. good luck.

andremac3000
03-13-2012, 07:46 AM
nice list of products. good luck.

hey thanks i did a lot of reading and research and these products seem easy to work with

andremac3000
05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
what can be used to clean silver trim on my Legacy front grill
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/andremac3000/DSCN1266.jpg

opie_7afe
05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
i suggest not using wolfgang paint correction products if your in this for money, those products are geared towards the hobbyist detailer not the professional doing this for money, there are better products that are more cost effective and can achieve same results or better results, m105/205 is a good combo, meguiars microfiber DA system is another, optimum hyper spray compound and hyper spray polish is another.....don't get sucked into the flavor of the month and the over hyped PBMG house brands. read alot more, alot of the products here are sold for the hobbyist detailer and the price reflects that...just read alot of reviews. if your doing show cars by all means get some high quality more expensive waxes if that floats your boat, but for most vehicles i just keep it simple and use a very durable wax...customers want something that lasts so i use collinite 845 or wolfgang deepgloss paint sealant. and not every client will want a full correction, most detailers top sellers are the one step polishing packages. people just want a shiny car they dont know a swirl from a squirrel...and there is a reason why dealerships dont do high quality work, high quality takes time, and they have so many vehicles that they cannot do a full correction to every one so they knock them out fast as possible to have them look good until it sells, most dealers could care less how the car looks after it sells...as i said read, read, read and read some more before you get sucked into over hyped products hyped up by hobbyist detailers.

A-train
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
i suggest not using wolfgang paint correction products if your in this for money, those products are geared towards the hobbyist detailer not the professional doing this for money, there are better products that are more cost effective and can achieve same results or better results, m105/205 is a good combo, meguiars microfiber DA system is another, optimum hyper spray compound and hyper spray polish is another.....dont get sucked into the flavor of the month and the over hyped PBMG house brands. read alot more, alot of the products here are sold for the hobbyist detailer and the price reflects that...just read alot of reviews. if your doing show cars by all means get some high quality more ezpensive waxes if that floats your boat, but for most vehicles i just keep it simple and use a very durable wax...customers want something that lasts so i use collinite 845 or wolfgang deepgloss paint sealant. and not every client will want a full correction, most detailers top sellers are the one step polishing packages. people just want a shiny car they dont know a swirl from a squirrel...and there is a reason why dealerships dont do high quality work, high quality takes time, and they have so many vehicles that they cannot do a full correction to every one so they knock them out fast as possible to have them look good until it sells, most dealers could care less how the car looks after it sells...as i said read, read, read and read some more before you get sucked into over hyped products hyped up by hobbyist detailers.

I agree !

SON1C
05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Meg's professional detailer line is a simple bang for buck effective line

van185
05-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I agree also with the above advice. I have recently started a part time detail shop and hoping by the time I retire from my full time job to have something to fall back on for extra money. I asked a lot of questions and some of the best advice that I got was to look at the clients that you’re going to have and what they expect. Mine expect a clean vehicle with a coat of wax that looks good and last. I think that most will not ever know if the finish is swirl free so I very seldom use swirl remover. I will usually wash, vacuum, clay, polish and wax or ALO. I use Meg's and Chemical Guys products mostly due to cost and buying in gallon sizes. Don't get me wrong I love the look and finish of Wolfgang products and they were actually the first products that I ever tried from AG, but they are too expensive to use for ever day detailing. My advice is to look at your customer base and see what they want and expect. If all you mostly do is show cars then buy Wolfgang and spend 8-12 hours on a car. If your customer base is not mostly show cars then spend the time needed to make them look great and avoid the swirl removers and cut back on a couple of extra steps without cutting corners. I normal detail will take me about 2-4 hours, maybe more or less depending on the vehicle. Take your time do a good job and you will be surprised at the results with just a good polish and wax or an AIO. There are many products out there that will create a long lasting shine without spending everything that you make. 845 is a great wax and a bottle goes a long way and leaves a great finish that when used overtop of a good polish with a polisher will beat any Wal-Mart or local auto store finish, which is all most of your customers will ever have seen in the past. A good claying and polisher makes all the difference. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

andremac3000
05-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys but i will stick the all in one claying and wax and use the Wolf Gang for show cars
But i haven't got an answer for what product to use to clean the silver grill in the pics above

Vegas Transplant
05-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Mothers Billet Metal Polish cleans and shines billet, forged, and finely cast aluminum, brass and all polishable metals. Professional detailers, (http://www.autogeek.net/motbilmetpol.html)

If you feel the need for a metal polish, use a low abravise polish. Otherwise just use whatever you polish your paint with.

Mike Phillips
05-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Mike i'll like your expert opinion on this

The products you listed work exceptionally well and are easy to work with and I have plenty of show cars that I've used them on successfully and the results are always phenomenal.

I've even taken a guy that's never used a machine to buff out a car before and taught him how to buff paint and for his first car he chose a black Porsche!

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25226-proof-you-can-do-joe-detailer-black-porsche-turned-into-black-pearl.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/JoeTheDetailer011.jpg

As for your idea about detailing cars and selling them I think it's a good one and will give you an edge over your competition because most used car dealers I've met don't care one whit about detailing because it requires work, care and passion and they're all about flipping cars, not working.

Good luck!

:xyxthumbs:

van185
05-09-2012, 06:58 AM
I like Chemical Guys metal polish. 845 is good to use on the front trim, but then again 845 seems good to use on about anything. I would probably try washing it and then just the 845, on a small section, to see if that gets the desired results before trying the metal polish.

KBsToy
05-09-2012, 06:59 AM
I agree !

Watch ur funds when starting out. There are some great products @ AG just look around.

KBsToy
05-09-2012, 07:01 AM
:iagree:
I agree also with the above advice. I have recently started a part time detail shop and hoping by the time I retire from my full time job to have something to fall back on for extra money. I asked a lot of questions and some of the best advice that I got was to look at the clients that you’re going to have and what they expect. Mine expect a clean vehicle with a coat of wax that looks good and last. I think that most will not ever know if the finish is swirl free so I very seldom use swirl remover. I will usually wash, vacuum, clay, polish and wax or ALO. I use Meg's and Chemical Guys products mostly due to cost and buying in gallon sizes. Don't get me wrong I love the look and finish of Wolfgang products and they were actually the first products that I ever tried from AG, but they are too expensive to use for ever day detailing. My advice is to look at your customer base and see what they want and expect. If all you mostly do is show cars then buy Wolfgang and spend 8-12 hours on a car. If your customer base is not mostly show cars then spend the time needed to make them look great and avoid the swirl removers and cut back on a couple of extra steps without cutting corners. I normal detail will take me about 2-4 hours, maybe more or less depending on the vehicle. Take your time do a good job and you will be surprised at the results with just a good polish and wax or an AIO. There are many products out there that will create a long lasting shine without spending everything that you make. 845 is a great wax and a bottle goes a long way and leaves a great finish that when used overtop of a good polish with a polisher will beat any Wal-Mart or local auto store finish, which is all most of your customers will ever have seen in the past. A good claying and polisher makes all the difference. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

SON1C
05-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Good thread