PDA

View Full Version : Question on wax after detailing the wifey's car.

CASH XRS
03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey guys, over the weekend I spent about 3 hours and 45 minutes detailing my fiancee's 2009 Camry. The car came out pretty good, except I hate her driveway, which can get muddy fast (grrr). This morning she went out to warm up her car and it was a tad frosty out. I could see frost all over the car which is fine because I knew the paint was cold. What bugged me was I could see every spot I applied wax to the paint. It almost looked like there was still wax on the car.

Does this mean I applied it wrong, too much, or is it just the layer of protection that the frosty or chilly weather is grabbing onto? I used Meguiar's #26 wax and applied and wiped off by hand. Just wanted to know if this is a common experience or if anything can be done to avoid that "look"? Thanks for your help.

Mike McDonald
03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
You know, this actually happened to me once, so I'm curious what is to be said.

I did notice the 'look' in the morning, and then the next day I didn't notice it at all.

Still, I don't really know

mwoolfso
03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, over the weekend I spent about 3 hours and 45 minutes detailing my fiancee's 2009 Camry. The car came out pretty good, except I hate her driveway, which can get muddy fast (grrr). This morning she went out to warm up her car and it was a tad frosty out. I could see frost all over the car which is fine because I knew the paint was cold. What bugged me was I could see every spot I applied wax to the paint. It almost looked like there was still wax on the car.

Does this mean I applied it wrong, too much, or is it just the layer of protection that the frosty or chilly weather is grabbing onto? I used Meguiar's #26 wax and applied and wiped off by hand. Just wanted to know if this is a common experience or if anything can be done to avoid that "look"? Thanks for your help.

Did you apply wax to the entire vehicle or just in spots? I'll assume for the moment that you applied a coat to the whole car. What I suggest you do is apply some quick detailer spray to the entire panel where you saw spots and then see if it happens again. You may have applied heavily on some parts and light on others...

CASH XRS
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Did you apply wax to the entire vehicle or just in spots? I'll assume for the moment that you applied a coat to the whole car. What I suggest you do is apply some quick detailer spray to the entire panel where you saw spots and then see if it happens again. You may have applied heavily on some parts and light on others...

I did apply wax to the whole car. And it wasn't just spots, it was basically anywhere I put wax. You could see my swipe motions basically, like ghosted on wax. I know it'll only show up when it's cold out and maybe when the wax is still pretty fresh? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I did wrong or something I didn't do to avoid that.

CASH XRS
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Bump

Setec Astronomy
03-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I think that's pretty usual to get weird condensation marks (or frost) right after applying LSP, you should be fine, IMO.

bigez
03-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I've seen this before, and if you leave it out in the sun a bit on a warm day it goes away. Or, if you wait a few days it should. My theory is that it is moisture still in the wax.

sscully
03-13-2012, 04:29 PM
dumb question time from me.

Did you get in a hurry at the end and start rubbing like a mad man taking off the wax ?

Mike has a thread on removing wax and talks about moving too fast.
I know I catch myself at times doing the same thing.

If you got in a hurry or did not wipe at the same rate, could be you left something behind for the frost to sit on ???

Supposition on my part.

Vegas Transplant
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I think that's pretty usual to get weird condensation marks (or frost) right after applying LSP, you should be fine, IMO.

+1 :buffing:

Not trying to shadow you today, Setec.

Kaban
03-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah this is totally fine. Seen it in person. The enzymes of the wax tend to do that when it is applied fresh.

CASH XRS
03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
dumb question time from me.

Did you get in a hurry at the end and start rubbing like a mad man taking off the wax ?

Mike has a thread on removing wax and talks about moving too fast.
I know I catch myself at times doing the same thing.

If you got in a hurry or did not wipe at the same rate, could be you left something behind for the frost to sit on ???

Supposition on my part.

Actually no, I was actually taking my time to make sure I had all the wax gone in each section as I moved around the car.

Thanks guys. Glad to know all is well. And I have noticed the past two mornings her car has not looked like it did Monday morning.