PDA

View Full Version : Picking grit out of microfiber nap

Pages : [1] 2

aray
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I managed to get some debris (small leaves and larger grit) in my ultra-plush/long nap MF towels. I washed with microrestore, and the debris did not come out.

Is there a better way to get this out? Right now I'm just doing it by hand. I tried combing with a fine comb and it doesn't seem to be any easier.

HeavyD
03-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Toss it. On to wheels duty, Not worth the risk IMO

tuscarora dave
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
:iagree:

PPLd
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
try grit guard. rub towel against a grit guard in a soap solution give me clean towels.

aray
03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Toss it. On to wheels duty, Not worth the risk IMO

eh...I was afraid of that.

I need to raise my 'paint microfiber' hamper to a spot where my 18mo daughter can't get to it.

FUNX650
03-12-2012, 01:09 AM
I need to raise my 'paint microfiber' hamper to a spot where my 18mo daughter can't get to it.

I hope so...That's genuinely a scary scenario you presented!

Bob

SRTSean
03-12-2012, 01:40 AM
If it's not more than a few pine needles or some other kind of organic debris you could probably use tweezers.

timaishu
03-12-2012, 02:43 AM
I just use my finger nails.

Ive had some stuff get stuck in the nap and I just rip it out.

sscully
03-12-2012, 07:19 AM
You are braver than myself. I always look at the cost / time of swirling a paint job with it. I fyou go to the point of using 2 buckets and grit guards to wash a car, why would you try to reuse a MF towel that hit the ground.

Pad or towel hits the floor, in the non car bin it goes.
The Mrs one day dropped 3 towels in quick succession, each time I picked it up before she could, and cut it in half. She stopped that day, was having a bad time of it.

I will check through them, and use them for "damp" sanding with an old rubber sanding block on Easy sand 5min drywall compound.
Works great for reuse of the low nap side, and depending on the size patch ( and how thick you go ), you can get 5 uses out of them before they turn to the grit of newspaper. Just rinse in a bucket and go back at it. I keep a stock of 10 strips in the drywall tools, soak them all when I start a patch, so I can just go at it and clean them when I am letting that dry. You will get the hang of which ones work better for the type of finishing work. The older they get, the closer to the final coat of drywall compound you use them.
Waffle weave are great for correcting someone's "flour paste topographical relief map" drywall job someone asks you to fix.

5.4 Shelby
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I inspect each towel before use and use a hemostat to pluck any minor debris from the towel. If it hits the ground, it either goes in trash or gets a big "X" marked on it with a sharpie and is used for door jams, etc. I wont even used contaminated ones on my wheels. They are clear coated as well.

bigez
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Stretch towel tight. Use weights on one end, and pull out with other hand...Then use vacuum cleaner...

aray
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
I inspect each towel before use and use a hemostat to pluck any minor debris from the towel. If it hits the ground, it either goes in trash or gets a big "X" marked on it with a sharpie and is used for door jams, etc. I wont even used contaminated ones on my wheels. They are clear coated as well.

The X marking is a good idea. I'll probably mark a few.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone -- I guess I was hoping there was some sort of magic "soak" that would be more aggressive, but no luck.

This kind of got me thinking -- As far as tossing them if they hit the ground (assuming concrete or garage floor), what would be the difference between the sand/dirt on the concrete, and the sand/dirt from a waterless/rinseless wash?

Also, if the goal of using MF is the sort of "magnetic/static" properties that trap dirt, why do companies make the nap looped which makes it a pain in the rear to get the dirt out? In theory, woudn't that mean there could be junk in our MF towels, even if used 'normally', that isn't coming out?

OR am I thinking too much...

sscully
03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
..<snip>..

This kind of got me thinking -- As far as tossing them if they hit the ground (assuming concrete or garage floor), what would be the difference between the sand/dirt on the concrete, and the sand/dirt from a waterless/rinseless wash? ..<snip>..

I use the LC blue grout sponge for ONR. After wiping a section, you can see the dirt on the face and in the cube cuts. 2 drags on the grit guard in the rinse water bucket, and it is clean.

Vegas Transplant
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
The X marking is a good idea. I'll probably mark a few.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone -- I guess I was hoping there was some sort of magic "soak" that would be more aggressive, but no luck.

This kind of got me thinking -- As far as tossing them if they hit the ground (assuming concrete or garage floor), what would be the difference between the sand/dirt on the concrete, and the sand/dirt from a waterless/rinseless wash?

Also, if the goal of using MF is the sort of "magnetic/static" properties that trap dirt, why do companies make the nap looped which makes it a pain in the rear to get the dirt out? In theory, woudn't that mean there could be junk in our MF towels, even if used 'normally', that isn't coming out?

OR am I thinking too much...

Excellent quandry hand!

Kaban
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
you can take some piece of tape and use it to pick out the grit. the grits will stick right to the tape piece.