PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Door Gunk

dbbrooks
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Any one have a good way to remove the heavy black gunk that collects around the gas tank door? Often I have trouble with some models because the area is hard to get to but still easy to see. I don't know why it accumulates. Probably additives in the gas. It would be great to just was it away. Any ideas? Feed back please

CEE DOG
03-11-2012, 05:00 PM
I apply amazing roll off and then allow it to dwell. Then use my SV wheel brush or wheel woolie on it. Then rinse If there still some there I apply OPC 3:1 and scrub some more with whatever brush fits the area. Just be sure to keep the paint beneath and around the opening wet and don't spray the OPC directly on the exterior paint or let it stay there without water rinsing it off.

RTexasF
03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
How about all purpose cleaner or degreaser and a toothbrush? Works for me. That's doing it prior to polishing of course.

CEE DOG
03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh yes, that toothbrush is handy in there

dbbrooks
03-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I apply amazing roll off and then allow it to dwell. Then use my SV wheel brush or wheel woolie on it. Then rinse If there still some there I apply OPC 3:1 and scrub some more with whatever brush fits the area. Just be sure to keep the paint beneath and around the opening wet and don't spray the OPC directly on the exterior paint or let it stay there without water rinsing it off.

Okay, forgive my ignorance please. Amazing roll off?

Finemess
03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Okay, forgive my ignorance please. Amazing roll off?

Amazing Roll-Off Spray it on and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html)

Great stuff!! :xyxthumbs:

scrubs147
03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
LA's Totally Awesome from the dollar store. A 2" paint brush and some water.

Robert8194
03-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Steam

A.P.A.D.
03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
A steamer, along with some Meg degreaser, and loosened with a 1” Round Detailing Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/b15.html) . works like a charm. if u dont have a steamer, try the degreaser(any kind will do) and then use the brush. rinse with water. in really bad cases, u may have to work it a few times

BillE
03-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Whatever method you use, watch out for the the little rubber bumpers. Those lil suckers are easy to knock out.

Bill