PDA

View Full Version : Beginner buying an orbital

Pages : [1] 2

Stride
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
I need help buying an orbital for a noob. Here are the three kits I am looking at or are there better ones? Which is the best orbital/ value for a beginner?

Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Combo
Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/poca74pofcop.html)

Griots Garage Random Orbital Polish & Wax Kit
Griots Garage Random Orbital Polish & Wax Kit, Griots Garage Dual Action Polisher, Griots machine polishes, Best of Show Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-buffer.html)

Porter Cable 7424XP Intro Pad Kit
If you’re in the market for a dual action polisher, look no further than the Porter Cable 7424! (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-pad-kit.html)

Wolfgang Duo & Porter Cable 7424XP
Wolfgang Duo & Porter Cable 7424XP FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-combo.html)

rider9195
03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
First off, welcome to Autogeek Online!

The Porter Cable 7424XP is a great machine. What vehicles will you be working on? Are you trying to remove swirls and scratches or are you just looking to lay down a coat of sealant or wax?

There is nothing wrong with the kits listed below. But if you are looking to remove swirls I would get a 6 pack of pads and get 2 orange, 2 white, and 2 blue. Be sure to get a 5" dual action backing plate and 5.5" pads. The PC can handle the 5.5" pads better than the 6.5" ones.

Do you have any products at the moment? The Wolfgang Duo is a very nice system. But I would also look into the Optimum line of polishes, such as their Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish.

Stride
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
1. Vehicles- '85 mercedes 500sel painted terribly by maaco in black last May and has minor spider webs, '87 corvette paint hides blemishes and water marks but up close u can see them, '02 Jaguar XJ sport has been sitting for a year finally have it running well, new Kia Soul, '05 Nissan Sentra probably going to have to repaint front bumper, '02 F150 workhorse doesnt need detailing. So, basically the vette, 500sel, and the jag are the main ones but I need to keep the Soul looking nice as well lol.

2. Only things I have are wax, sealants, window cleaner, tire shine, meguiars mirror glaze (I think number 7). I have nothing really as far as polishers I am basically looking for a kit that has everything I need in it for those problems and is under $200. It would also help me put waxes and the sealants on

glen e
03-10-2012, 07:37 PM
do some searches and you'll find the griots is the most rugged and corrects the best. It's a great orbital. You can pretty much do anything with LC pads - get a kit or at least the orange, green and blue pads.

The meguires MF kit for orbitals is also a great kit that can do anything...

ScubaCougr
03-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I bought a Griots and have been very happy with the power. As Glen and Ryan said, with the new MF systems and different compounds you can do great work with any of them.

I'd look more closely at the pad and chemical choices between the kits. 5" pads is a good recommendation, or you could go for the bare bones polisher and the Meguiars or Optimum MF kits which sometimes have more correction ability.

Don't get to wrapped up in it. As soon as you start using your polisher you'll begin to figure out what you like and what you'd like to try next. (Hydrotech pads, hint...hint...).

Danube
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Go rotary instead ..

:joking:

Stride
03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Here is the list of what I want to get. Is it a good list for a beginner?

-Porter Cable 7424xp $ 125

- 2 orange lc 5.5" pads
-1 white
-1 gray
-2 blue $35

Pinnacle XMT swirl Remover #1
Pinnacle XMT swirl Remover #2
Carnauba Finish Glaze #35

Pinnacle XMT Pad cleaner and conditioner $20

Free samples of something

Total $215 plus shipping handling

rider9195
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Here is the list of what I want to get. Is it a good list for a beginner?

-Porter Cable 7424xp $ 125

- 2 orange lc 5.5" pads
-1 white
-1 gray
-2 blue $35

Pinnacle XMT swirl Remover #1
Pinnacle XMT swirl Remover #2
Carnauba Finish Glaze #35

Pinnacle XMT Pad cleaner and conditioner $20

Free samples of something

Total $215 plus shipping handling

I would get 2 gray and only 1 blue. If you use the blue to apply a sealant or wax you will have time to clean it over night while the sealant is curing.

I don't see any sort of sealant or wax. The Carnauba Finish Glaze won't leave any protection behind. I would ditch that and pick up some sealant such as Wolfgang's, Blackfire's, Detailers Pro Series, or Menzerna's.

I haven't heard much about the XMT lines of polishes except for they tend to fill in some swirls. Personally I would get some Optimum Spray Hyper Compound and Spray Hyper Polish to use. Two products simple products to use.

To use the 5.5" pads, you will need a 5" DA backing plate.

I would pick up some clay and clay lube as well.

Keedo
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
quick question rather than starting a new thread. my car has TONS of swirl marks. the previous owner didnt take care of it. it is a 2009 lancer GTS thats octane blue.

but my question is, can i get ride of the swirl marks without using a machine? and just do it by hand?

Stride
03-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I have Ultima paint guard sealant and Meguiars high tech yellow wax. I think those are good. I also have Meguiars number 7 so that probably could replace the glaze. Is that better?

rider9195
03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
I have Ultima paint guard sealant and Meguiars high tech yellow wax. I think those are good. I also have Meguiars number 7 so that probably could replace the glaze. Is that better?

The Ultima Paint Guard Plus would work great. The Meguiar's #7 glaze is meant for single stage paints if I remember. If you properly polish the paint you will have no need for a glaze

Stride
03-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Would i use the orbital with the Ultima paint guard? And how would i do it?

rider9195
03-15-2012, 09:32 PM
You would not use the Porter Cable 7424XP to apply the Paint Guard Plus. It is meant to be used as a wipe on walk away sealant applied by hand. No buffing off product required.

Stride
03-15-2012, 09:58 PM
After the Ultima, I can put the Meguiars yellow wax the next day on?

VISITOR
03-16-2012, 12:04 AM
unless you plan on using everything in these kits, i would buy the DA seperate along with the items that you know you will use...