PDA

View Full Version : Whats better- C Quartz- Opti Guard- Opti- Coat?

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
03-09-2012, 10:13 PM
So I never gave any of these systems much consideration till recently here and I'm looking to see which product you guys like the most.

Question 1 Is which product gives the longest protection?

Question 2 Which product is most scratch resistant?

Question 3(In order) Which product is easiest to use?

Question 4 Is there anything better than the products I've listed?

ShineTimeDetail
03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
No one?

Perfections
03-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Opti guard for the first 3, and as far as a coating youll able to apply without applying clear coat then yes it's the best coating

ShineTimeDetail
03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I dont understand the last part of your message

Perfections
03-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Well there are crazier coatings but it involves repainting the car lol, so for coatings that you can apply that don't involve that opti guard is for sure the winner :)

CEE DOG
03-11-2012, 12:12 AM
1.-Optiguard

2.-Inconclusive in real world testing but I think CQuartz. Opti takes longer to reach full hardness.

3.-This depends on lighting and a million other things. OC is the easiest to apply but also the easiest to mess up the first time or two you use it. CQ is much less stressing to apply the first time or two you apply either product. It does not have any learning curve. Opticoat is the easiest to use after you have experience with both products. In bad lighting CQ would be easier. Physically OC is much easier to apply since you don't have to buff it off but if you mess up you will have to polish to fix it.

There are other coatings and one in particular that are very interesting from other companies. Also Carpro has a CQ Finest coming out.

ShineTimeDetail
03-11-2012, 01:38 PM
So lighting plays a big factor in application I see.

Has anyone ever measured with a depth gauge to see how much of a coating each gives?

CEE DOG
03-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I have not measured the thickness.

From my Q&A in this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/34883-review-extreme-testing-opti-coat-2-0-cquartz.html

According to the manufacturer:

Using the entire contents of a 20cc syringe of OC on an SUV will provide 2-3 microns.

CQ provides between 0.7 and 1.5 microns with one coating but it can be layered

FYI: Ignore my method of application in the first post of that Extreme Testing thread as there are better ways. Back then directions were suspect... If you go to page 12 or something (Post # 119) you'll see how I started applying. (Video of the verticals on the green car) Also, search for a youtube video from Rasky on his method.

ShineTimeDetail
03-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Damn it! why did you have to post the 'Finest'!! haha that stuff looks awesome!

ShineTimeDetail
03-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I have not measured their thickness.

From my Q&A in this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/34883-review-extreme-testing-opti-coat-2-0-cquartz.html

According to the manufacturer:

Using the entire contents of a 20cc syringe of OC on an SUV will provide 2-3 microns.

CQ provides between 0.7 and 1.5 microns with one coating but it can be layered

How many coats is that OC?

CEE DOG
03-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Well, that was using the entire syringe in one coating. That was before Optimum said we were allowed to layer OC. Back then they said it was a no-no so Dr. G must have meant one coat.

However I don't know anybody that lays it on that thick. Personally with the method I use to avoid any high spots I don't use anywhere near that much product when applying OC so I assume the thickness most people get is 1-2 microns.

Note: My opinion is just an assumption that seems logical to me. Dr. G has "a lab with a pen and a pad" :) He knows his product! So make your own conclusions off what he said or ask him on the Optimum Forum how this thickness translates when applied thinner.

CEE DOG
03-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Damn it! why did you have to post the 'Finest'!! haha that stuff looks awesome!

Sorry! :laughing: I'm looking forward to trying it out as well! If it works out like they show I'll be adding it to my services.

ShineTimeDetail
03-11-2012, 02:32 PM
So in your opinion, if this is my first time using it, what do you suggest?

Perfections
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Have you used opti seal before? If you have opti coat acts a lot like that

ShineTimeDetail
03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
No I have not.