PDA

View Full Version : Wash media for rinselss wash. What do you use ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mg6045
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
I am looking for the best wash media possible for a rinseless wash.

currently I have some of MEGS microfiber wash mitts, and some DD sponges.

I am interested in using a plush microfiber towel and was wondering which ones you guys prefer ?

I saw in the Duragloss review someone using a poorboys UMT towel which got me interested in what everyone is using nowadays and which is more effective without dragging across the paint.

any help would be greatly appreciated. If it is not a towel that AG sells, please describe the towel and give me a hint of who makes it or where it could be found.

thanks. I plan on polishing out my paint, sealing it up and going rinseless every week on my car which is garaged.

I currently have
ONR v3
Duragloss rinseless
Ultima WW+
Blackfire rinseless

embolism
03-09-2012, 11:39 AM
subscribed!

Dan Metzler
03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I use these: Super Soft Deluxe Green Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges, microfiber buffing towels, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/green-rolled-edge-towels-3.html)

These are dedicated ONR micros....hence the odd color. I use the plush side folded in quarters. I use all four sides then back into the rinse bucket.

Stang Man
03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
I have only done a couple- for wash I used the Cobra Bone, a sponge covered in microfiber.

For drying, I go first pass with a blue waffle weave, and "buff" with a Cobra plush microfiber.

HellDemon
03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Mmm currently I'm using microfiber chenille mitts and sheepskin, but i am REALLY not a fan of how little dirt they actually release when using grit guard... I currently have the lake country blue sponge and zymol sponge coming from an order soon :D so I'm looking forward to trying those.

umi000
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
If the car is somewhat dirtier, I use a pair of microfiber noodle mitts. Otherwise, I use plush MF towels - I have ten Eurow shag-weave and fifteen Microfibertech 460 gsm grey towels (I believe these are the same as another vendor's plush Silver Surfers). The nice thing about these towels is that they're plush on both sides, so I have eight sides to use, and can therefore half the number of towels needed.

I've also used the blue LC sponge and a MF covered ponge (similar to the Cobra bone), but I didn't like these as much as the other two options I listed above.

mc2hill
03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I use a grout sponge from Lowe's. They last about for 10-20 washes, then they are replaced and I use them to wipe the lower areas of the car until they deteriorate too much to use. I do use dedicated MF towels to wipe off the excess water, before using a WW drying towel.

lokichaos
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I just go with microfiber towels.

BobbyG
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I prefer a lambswool mitt. It's soft, hold a lot of solution and rinses cleanly...

embolism
03-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd like to stick with microfibres that are plush on both sides since I like to go over the panel a second time with the same towel after rinsing, reloading and completely wringing it out. Got this tip from Todd at ACC and it's worked great this past winter.

I don't even need to go over the car with my drying towel anymore. A few quick passes at the seams etc with my metro sidekick and I can go right into spraywax...

mg6045
03-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I'd like to stick with microfibres that are plush on both sides since I like to go over the panel a second time with the same towel after rinsing, reloading and completely wringing it out. Got this tip from Todd at ACC and it's worked great this past winter.

I don't even need to go over the car with my drying towel anymore. A few quick passes at the seams etc with my metro sidekick and I can go right into spraywax...

sounds good,

which towels are you using ?

mg6045
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
FYI, I really dislike the Blue Lake country sponge. So much so that I threw it out. I guess I am just used to the SUPER SOFT grout and DD sponges. those things are wonderful, but I run through them fast. Hence wanting to switch to MF towels.

also NOT a fan of the bone sponge.

Not a fan of the plush silver surfer towels as they lint pretty good once a panel gets dry. (best way to tell if a towel lints is to use it on chrome. Very easy to see the linting, even easier than on black paint IME).

So far, My ideas of plush towels to try for rinseless are :

Gold Cobra plush - (the only cobra towel that does not at all lint)
Super Soft rolled edge - great towel
Poorboys UMT - never tried one, but very interested

any other ideas , I really like hearing what everyone is using. especially the people who do a lot of rinseless wash's with great results.

HellDemon
03-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Hmmm see what I thought the common idea was to use MF with a long nap, so that the dirt travels inwards to the towel/mitt/sponge and doesn't mar your paint. Why then, does no one use the chinchilla MF (setting aside cost being a factor)?

Bunky
03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I use mf mitts at the moment. I have some from PakShak and Proper Auto Care. I had liked mitt since I can control the pressure if you use them like a mitt.

http://angphoto.smugmug.com/Detailing/ANG-Gallery/i-ptGxpPx/0/L/IMG0985-L.jpg (http://angphoto.smugmug.com/Detailing/ANG-Gallery/21491530_hZVwBD#!i=1730847387&k=ptGxpPx&lb=1&s=A)

mg6045
03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Hmmm see what I thought the common idea was to use MF with a long nap, so that the dirt travels inwards to the towel/mitt/sponge and doesn't mar your paint. Why then, does no one use the chinchilla MF (setting aside cost being a factor)?

probably due to cost and not being available for that long. If someone tries it please post your results ! :)