PDA

View Full Version : Quick Opti-Coat Question

cfarley27
03-09-2012, 08:29 AM
The new opti-coat 2.0 (just ordered Sunday), can be layered correct?

The reason I ask is bc I think I may have missed a few spots on the hood and would like to re-apply there without having to compound it off if possible.

Thanks!

embolism
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
are you sure you missed spots or do you have high spots?

High spots look like a stain on the paint if the light is hitting it just so. Those are much easier to fix (use some poliseal by hand) than missing spots.

Not even sure how to identify a missing spot come to think of it...

cfarley27
03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
are you sure you missed spots or do you have high spots?

High spots look like a stain on the paint if the light is hitting it just so. Those are much easier to fix (use some poliseal by hand) than missing spots.

Not even sure how to identify a missing spot come to think of it...

I don't have high spots, I did a lot of research before applying. The hood was the first panel I did and I have never applied Opti-Coat before so I think I used not enough product as my pad grabbed and make a squeeking sound and when I tested it there were some areas where the water didn't bead. I just want to go over it to make sure I have complete coverage.

arack
03-09-2012, 09:42 AM
According to most people, it cannot be layered. If there is an issue, you need to polish it off the impacted panel and start over.

You can contact Chris, the Optimum guy on this forum. He may have some more detailed advice.

Rayaz
03-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I've done a truck and a small SUV since Christmas so I am far from an expert on the subject. I had a question between vehicles so I called Optimum Polymer Technologies and left a message. The next day, Dr. G himself called me back and answered my question.

Two interesting factoids from the conversation were; Opti Coat can be layered but Dr. G didn't see the benefit from doing this and the coating continues to cross link for about 30 days after application. I thought I had even coverage, just too thin so I did not ask about a missed spot.

I was concerned that I used so little on a Honda CRV and Dr. G said that was normal, very little product is necessary. I have done a CRV and a 4 door Tacoma with 4cc left in the tube.

Based on my understanding, if you are going to layer, do it before the cross linking is complete (30 days). You are going to love this stuff! It is far easier to apply than you think (prep is key) and washing can almost be done with a hose off/blow dry. Both the CRV and Tacoma live outside and I wanted the lasting protection that Opti Coat offers and so far, I am very impressed.

cfarley27
03-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I've done a truck and a small SUV since Christmas so I am far from an expert on the subject. I had a question between vehicles so I called Optimum Polymer Technologies and left a message. The next day, Dr. G himself called me back and answered my question.

Two interesting factoids from the conversation were; Opti Coat can be layered but Dr. G didn't see the benefit from doing this and the coating continues to cross link for about 30 days after application. I thought I had even coverage, just too thin so I did not ask about a missed spot.

I was concerned that I used so little on a Honda CRV and Dr. G said that was normal, very little product is necessary. I have done a CRV and a 4 door Tacoma with 4cc left in the tube.

Based on my understanding, if you are going to layer, do it before the cross linking is complete (30 days). You are going to love this stuff! It is far easier to apply than you think (prep is key) and washing can almost be done with a hose off/blow dry. Both the CRV and Tacoma live outside and I wanted the lasting protection that Opti Coat offers and so far, I am very impressed.

Thank you for this response! I plan on tackling the hood again on Sunday as it will be 65 degrees. After the hood I believe I got the hang of it and got the rest of the panels well enough.

This is my DD so I got the paint as good as it was going to get without hitting it with a rotary and wool pad (which I don't have), but the paint is probably 85% problem free and looks well enough!

embolism
03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I have done a CRV and a 4 door Tacoma with 4cc left in the tube.

Do you mean you did those 2 cars with 4cc or with 16cc (assuming you started with 20cc)?

I used 7cc to do a Jeep Grand Cherokee and was worried that I used too little...

RaskyR1
03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
The newest version of OF can be layered, but after 3-4 layers it can start to get cloudy. You should be fine going over the hood again.

rallyruss
03-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Just a thought about this, if you truly missed a spot(s) and went over it again with the OC, wouldn't it easily adhere to the untreated paint? is that what you are trying to accomplish?

slammin86
03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I am very excited to buy this and try it out on both cars.