PDA

View Full Version : Citrus wash or not?

Pages : [1] 2

Matt Cardoni
03-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I would like to get some opinions on the worthiness of stripping a LSP before starting a paint correction. I notice on many higher end detailers sites and forum posts, they tend a call out that they use a "citrus wash" to clean the paint and remove old product before clay / polish. I have just been doing a traditional wash with Hyper Wash then going right to clay.
Any insight from those who do the citrus wash or other LSP stripping step on why it is a better way to go?
My train of though has always been that the clay and polish will strip any lingering protection from the paint anyway so it would be a moot point but I would like to know why some feel otherwise. Im thinking of doing some part time mobile business and was just planning on doing ONR or the RFEW so I don't need to invest in a water tank and set-up to mount it in a truck. After the wash I was planning on going to clay as I have been doing.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Shane731
03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I like doing a citrus wash myself. My favorite is Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red, but Citrus Wash and Clear is good as well. It just gives you a clean surface to work on - plus, your clay doesn't have to abrade the wax to get to the contaminants, which will make your claying more effective and efficient.

tuscarora dave
03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
:iagree: I have a different citrus product but agree with Shane's assessment of why to do it.

Matt Cardoni
03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I've also heard of people who say you can use APC for the wash. What would be your thoughts on spraying the vehicle with APC first then doing a rinseless wash to clean the APC off as well as the dirt?

Stang Man
03-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I've also heard of people who say you can use APC for the wash. What would be your thoughts on spraying the vehicle with APC first then doing a rinseless wash to clean the APC off as well as the dirt?

Just grab some Dawn dish washing soap, the blue stuff!

Redneckmafia
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
we do a Citrus based APC on our details to strip the paint every time on a new customer.It helps on saving the clay when there is less contaminants on the paint surface.

A-train
03-08-2012, 10:41 PM
My take on the issue would be that it is necessary to remove any protection bf polishing. If you don't then your right you will polish it off but that is just another layer you have to go through bf you start actually correcting the defects in the paint. I use Chemical Guys citrus wash first then after I have clayed I use Carpro eraser just to make sure I'm starting with a clean slate. You could use APC for sure but just test it first bc some will streak on you. That is most def cheaper option than eraser.

Bert31
03-08-2012, 11:39 PM
:iagree: I have a different citrus product but agree with Shane's assessment of why to do it.

What citrus product do you use?

ski2
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I don't have a foam gun and was wondering if CG Citrus Wash will effectively remove LSPs before polishing using a traditional washing method??

SonOfOC
03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes.

i don't have a foam gun and was wondering if cg citrus wash will effectively remove lsps before polishing using a traditional washing method??

mg6045
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't have a foam gun and was wondering if CG Citrus Wash will effectively remove LSPs before polishing using a traditional washing method??

works great in a bucket. just be sure to use nitrite gloves when doing a bucket wash as the soap will REALLY dry out your hands BAD.

HellDemon
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Hmmm I actually have a brand new bottle that I just ordered of CG CW&G. Is that something I can just use in a foam gun, let it dwell on the surface for abit, and then rinse it off (then of course performing a normal wash with another soap)? Or do I need to do a traditional wash with a wash mitt to kind of make it more effective?

mg6045
03-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Hmmm I actually have a brand new bottle that I just ordered of CG CW&G. Is that something I can just use in a foam gun, let it dwell on the surface for abit, and then rinse it off (then of course performing a normal wash with another soap)? Or do I need to do a traditional wash with a wash mitt to kind of make it more effective?

you really need to at the very least foam it onto the car, let it dwell out of the sun, and rub it in with your wash media of choice.

Foaming and rinsing will work well to remove oils or claylube, but not for LSP removal.

for really durable LSP's like Menzerna PowerLock sometimes even 2 applications is hardly enough.

The product will wipe out wax with no sweat though.

ski2
03-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Just grab some Dawn dish washing soap, the blue stuff!

Is this as effective as the Citrus Wash?? What dilution ratio do you use??
I certainly know not to use Dawn on a regular bases, but for say once a year to strip LSPs it makes more finacial sense to use Dawn ($6 - 56 OZs Vs CG CW at $8 for 16 OZs) for those of us who are just hobbyists.

Dan Metzler
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Have always used Dawn to strip but now with AG carrying CG I finally got a bottle of CGCW Red. How many oz is everyone using in the foam cannon to strip LSP?