PDA

View Full Version : Meg's D120 instead of IPA

Detail_Dude
03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Have any of you fellow AG'ers used Meguiars Glass Cleaner (D120) in place of IPA when inspecting correction results?

rider9195
03-08-2012, 06:44 PM
The only risk I see when using IPA or glass cleaner to remove polishing oils is that neither have lubricants in them. So you might risk marring the suface. I have heard of people using glass cleaners as a polish oil remover to view the true results.

Detail_Dude
03-08-2012, 10:41 PM
The only risk I see when using IPA or glass cleaner to remove polishing oils is that neither have lubricants in them. So you might risk marring the suface. I have heard of people using glass cleaners as a polish oil remover to view the true results.

I picked up this tip @Autopia. Appreciate the reminder about no lubricants. Thanks!

WRAPT C5Z06
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Kevin Brown once used D120 @ 5:1 to inspect results.

NY946
03-09-2012, 12:42 AM
You can use body solvent too, but the glass cleaner is cheaper because it can be diluted.

Kitoy22
03-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Would it help adding some ONR or similar products to D120 to make it more lubricated?

crxman2010
03-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Would it help adding some ONR or similar products to D120 to make it more lubricated?

Because ONR can function as a QD (add shine) I don't know if this would be a good idea to see the true conditions of the paint, not sure I would recommend it before Opti-Coat either...

Detail_Dude
03-09-2012, 08:55 AM
You can use body solvent too, but the glass cleaner is cheaper because it can be diluted.

Good to know, thanks. Isn't BS an 'oily' product?

I don't have nor ever used Meg's BS, btw. As someone who encounters little or no road tar, would this be a worthwhile product to have?

Kevin Brown once used D120 @ 5:1 to inspect results.

That's a golden seal of approval within itself! Thanks, Mark!

Btw - nice post on the headlight work!

mankool
05-23-2014, 04:33 AM

I had the same thing in mind when I looked up this question i.e. if d120 can be used for inspection at 10:1 ration cause i see IPA as one of its ingredients. I was speaking to a friend about this and i told him i'll try d120 with some car shampoo which doesnt have wax in it.

Pretty cool when you see other people thinking along the same lines cause I strongly believe there is a quite a bit of similarity between some of the detailing products we use and sometimes we get sold out on the marketing and then realize the product isnt very different from what you have :)

P:s: i realize this thread is 2 years old but pretty valid

FUNX650
05-23-2014, 10:13 AM
I had the same thing in mind when I looked up this question i.e. if d120 can be used for inspection at 10:1 ration cause i see IPA as one of its ingredients. I was speaking to a friend about this and i told him i'll try d120 with some car shampoo which doesnt have wax in it.

Pretty cool when you see other people thinking along the same lines cause I strongly believe there is a quite a bit of similarity between some of the detailing products we use and sometimes we get sold out on the marketing and then realize the product isnt very different from what you have :)

P:s: i realize this thread is 2 years old but pretty valid
Since Meguiar's D120 already contains a surfactant:
(2-Butoxyethanol)...
Then a car wash shampoo, used in conjunction with D120 as a "panel wipe", is probably overkill...IMO.

Bob

mankool
06-20-2014, 12:26 AM
thank you for your valuable input bob :)