PDA

View Full Version : Donating for a charity, what to include?

shoeless89
03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey guys, I volunteer for the Center for Chemical Addictions Treatment (CCAT) every year, and this year I'm going to donate a gift certificate for them to raffle off. Here's where I'm confused on what to include. Should I just offer an interior, or an exterior wash, or a wash and wax? Should I make it for a certain $ amount or should I just list the services I will perform.

I have no problem doing an interior and a wash and wax but I'm afraid the people who will want this will be the people that have the DESTROYED interior and I'll end up spending 4-6 hours just on the interior. Have any one you done this before? I know Joe at Superior Shine has so I would like his input. Any opinions are :welcome:

Thanks guys! (and gals!)

Bates Detailing
03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
We have given gift certificates to a couple of nonprofits and organizations - never get called to do them though?!?!? Odd - but still try to help:dblthumb2:

Usually a one step polish and full interior is what we offer.

badhemi
03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Include what will be done on the paperwork in the auction. Also what i ask the charity to do is call me with the name of the winner. A few years back i had two bidders fighting over the detail and the looser showed up before the winner (i had no idea who won) and had me do the winners detail...needless to say it ended up in court.

sparty
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Every year I donate at least two details to local charities. I donate a full exterior and interior detail and list exactly what is included in each detail. The winner comes to me with the certificate I provide to the charity. The certificate is a $150.00 value. Even if they show up with a large SUV, I do not charge extra - that would be bad practice.

I have had 8 winners request some extra add-ons that they paid for in addition to the full detail. (ex. engine detail, headlight restoration, two step paintwork correction) All but three winners are now repeat clients. Plus, their word of mouth has generated many new clients. So for $150 or so, you will have invested in some excellent advertising.

-Sparty

tuscarora dave
03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I have done a few for charity white elephant auctions. I place a $300 value on the voucher. One time it took the winner 1.5 years to call to get their detail. I spent about 10 hours on it and got free lunch and a nice dinner there too. I had a really good time and got some good word of mouth out of it. They tried to tip me and I refused to accept it telling them that volunteering is not supposed to be for money and they could just hand a few cards out to friends or co workers instead.

There's a non-profit here locally called "Just for Today" They have several sober houses in the area. Every year I organize and volunteer for one of their fund raiser car washes. I leave the OCD detailer mentality at home, show up with my mobile rig and the mits, towels, buckets and chemicals and we have a blast. Here's a link to the last one.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/36160-doing-fund-raiser-car-wash-today.html