PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean fabric wheel well liner?

Pages : [1] 2

mark f
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Toyota Venza fabric wheel well liner.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/600_DSC00231.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/600_DSC00232.JPG
What is the best way to clean? It's a pita trying to get a brush up in there. Maybe I need to try to find a brush w/ small head and a long skinny handle.

This is my first time including a pic - hope it works.

Mark

rider9195
03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
I would clean with a APC and agitate with a brush. I have a strip of them in my rear wells only and am going to use 303 Fabric Guard to protect it. I'll have to see how well it keeps clean.

lokerola
03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I hate these dang things. I have them in the front and rear of my 2011 Charger. All they do is pickup grass and other small bits of debris that are almost impossible to remove. If you find a way to clean this stuff, please post it!

LSUFAN
03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Pressure washer.:dblthumb2:

Kaban
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
why the hell would they put fabric inside the wheel wells?

lokerola
03-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Pressure washer - not a bad idea, although it would be a pain in the you-know-what to drag the pressure washer out.

I even poked and prodded the fabric during my last wash. I was hoping that the fabric was just glued onto the top of the wheel well plastic and I could peel it off. But alas, it seems almost sprayed on over the plastic. It also appears to the be the only layer between the wheel and the chassis in some areas - meaning there's no plastic underneith the fabric. This whole fabric on the outside of a car idea seems flawed to me. It's really an eye sore when this stuff is dirty. And it usaully is dirty, no matter what I scrub it with. Anyway, rant over- back to your normally scheduled programming.

lokerola
03-07-2012, 09:38 PM
why the hell would they put fabric inside the wheel wells?

I assume it's for sound deadening. Good idea. Bad execution.

lokerola
03-07-2012, 09:43 PM
One more little rant (I promise, ha-ha!). The farbic they use is very tacky and sticky. Sort of a brillo pad-meets sticky tape-grass magnet. A detailers nightmare when the rest of the car is spotless and you can see dried up grass in your wheel wells. I like a clean car, but I'm not going to remove my wheels and pick all the grass out with tweesers every time I wash my car. Curse you Dodge!!!

jsgntulok
03-07-2012, 10:12 PM
More and more auto manufacturers are using that material in the rear wheel wells, and a few in the front also. I have pretty good luck cleaning using a Daytona SpeedMaster brush.

RhetoricMixes
03-07-2012, 10:17 PM
I hate these dang things. I have them in the front and rear of my 2011 Charger. All they do is pickup grass and other small bits of debris that are almost impossible to remove. If you find a way to clean this stuff, please post it!

Thanks for letting me know that :props:. I have to do one of those cars next weekend

embolism
03-07-2012, 10:20 PM
lower it so you can't see the wells

haha

bimmerchuck
03-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I would clean with a APC and agitate with a brush. I have a strip of them in my rear wells only and am going to use 303 Fabric Guard to protect it. I'll have to see how well it keeps clean.

Let me know how the 303 works out there. I have some and the fabric well liners.

Rix6
03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
The rear wheel wells of my G37 has that. I imagine it's for sound deadening...maybe a little for road noise, maybe more so to deaden the sound of rocks and other debris getting kicked up by the tires into the well.

I haven't found a really good method to clean those yet. Pressure washer sounds interesting. I don't have one, so can't try it out. If a pressure washer will force the foxtails out of the fabric, then it would be the way to go. What I do is car soap foam and water jet with the garden hose. Cheap microfiber towels (costco), well washed and with a little extra time in the dryer, are nice and grabby and they can pull some, but not all of the crap out of there. The most problematic stuff is grass foxtails. If I wash all the dirt out, and pick out only the most obvious debris by hand, they look pretty clean. Hmmmm, I wonder if a lint brush would work...

crxman2010
03-07-2012, 10:50 PM
I have them as well in the TL, thus far, just ignored them...

Consider me subscribed... :D

rwright
03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Our new Regal has it in the front and rear. A pressure washer works wonders. My method, even though time consuming, spray with Optimum Power Clean @ 3:1, agitate with blue long handle wheel brush from Walmart and soapy water, rinse with pressure washer. This summer I plan to pull each wheel, clean the liners, apply 303 Fabric Guard.