PDA

View Full Version : Help car wash left spotty haze

Spiney
03-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Took our black cobra mustang out today. It was very dusty and had some splashes on it from a run in with a mud puddle. I wanted to take it to a self service car wash but all I had was a $10 and the change machine only accepted 5-1's. So my only option was the touch less wash because it took debit cards.
Most of the car lookedpretty good but one rear quarter and the trunk lid were left with a greyish haze. I'm guessing some additive didn't agree or wasn't rinsed properly. We wiped down the car with clean MF towels and tried to remove the haze with maguiars QD. It didn't effect it at all. When I got home I'm got most of it with a coat of Meguiar's gold class Carnuba. Thursday is supposed to be 67 here. Should I try washing with Meguiar's GC car wash, or do something else? Thanks, Spiney

Oh before you ask car was washed, and waxed with Meguiar's GC Carnuba in November Then garage kept. Washed one other time and gone over with Meguiar's UT Detailer and was looking great before dirt and this wash.

Spiney
03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
No ideas? I hope to fix it tomorrow while it's warm.

aerogt01
03-07-2012, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't go back to that car wash. Sounds like a soap was too aggressive and hazed your paint.

You may look into SwirlX for those spots. Should work better than a wax.

umi000
03-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Try a paint cleaner or AIO, such as Color-X, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser, KAIO or Poli-Seal, to see if the chemical cleaners are able to clear up the haze.

A.P.A.D.
03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
do u have a dual action polisher? do a test spot using using a polishing pad with meg205. if that does work for u. try the meg205 with a cutting pad, and if that doesnt clear it up try meg105 with a light cutting pad and then follow with 205 with a polishing pad. then apply your favorite wax after to protect it.

dont use car washes! i would rather ride dirty than ruin the hard work i put into the paint

Spiney
03-08-2012, 01:23 AM
I have a DAP but I haven't learned to use it yet and also need to buy some LC pads. I do have swirl-x. I bought the Maguiars DA MF kit which I want to use to correct the paint then protect it. For this Haze issue I want to use the least aggressive product 1st. So what product should I start with? Thanks so much.

umi000
03-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Least aggressive product would be, as I mentioned,a paint cleaner (preferably non-abrasive).

Spiney
03-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Try a paint cleaner or AIO, such as Color-X, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser, KAIO or Poli-Seal, to see if the chemical cleaners are able to clear up the haze.

Have a warm week coming up. What are some paint cleaners I could possibly pick up locally. I do plan on making many more purchases from AG, but for one item in a hurry I'd like to get something locally. Thanks, Spiney

MustangMikeFL
03-13-2012, 04:49 AM
Have a warm week coming up. What are some paint cleaners I could possibly pick up locally. I do plan on making many more purchases from AG, but for one item in a hurry I'd like to get something locally. Thanks, Spiney

Duragloss 501 AIO gets rave reviews and is available at Carquests if you have one locally.

Mike Phillips
03-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Took our black cobra mustang out today. It was very dusty and had some splashes on it from a run in with a mud puddle. I wanted to take it to a self service car wash but all I had was a $10 and the change machine only accepted 5-1's.

So my only option was the touch less wash because it took debit cards.

I'm guessing some additive didn't agree or wasn't rinsed properly. We wiped down the car with clean MF towels and tried to remove the haze with Meguiars QD. It didn't effect it at all.

First comment... you could see the staining effect by the chemicals because you started with a car with a black finish in excellent condition, that is the paint is well-kept, freshly waxed and I'm guessing clear, as in the clear coat finish is very clear enabling your eyes to see through it to the basecoat under it. (that is the goal with clearcoats, maximize clarity).

My guess is the same staining effect is taking place to all cars run through washes similar to this except the owners don't notice. Just a guess...

Cars run through car washes like that that are not dark in color and well maintained, and owned by people that don't pay attention to their car's appearance, received the same staining effect it's just the owners are oblivious to it. Again, just a guess...

The thing about a touchless wash is this, if nothing mechanical touches the exterior surfaces to loosen dirt like you would when you rub a wash mitt over the panels, then something else has to be providing the cleaning power and that something else is a strong chemical solution. Some people take cars in good condition through washes like these while others take cars that are horribly dirty through washes like these and these types of washes have to be configured to clean the dirtiest in order to please the customer.

That means they are overkill for something in excellent condition.

Use them when you have to but be aware that afterwards you're likely going to have to do some work to undo any damage done by the cleaning chemicals.

I agree.

It shouldn't take much to strip off whatever was left on the surface, something light should do it, even a fine cut polish.

:xyxthumbs:

duck_commander
03-13-2012, 07:45 AM
not to disagree with any one else's posts here, but i took my black truck through the touchless a few times this winter. Upon leaving the wash, i too noticed the spotting on my black paint. The following weekend, i hand washed and dried my truck... when i was done, the spotting was gone. i had just contributed the spoting to either dirt still on the paint, or hard water, then moving my vehicle under the blow dryer as you pull out of the wash bay, thus drying the water puddles on the paint which still had some dirt in them?

I dunno, maybe my situation was and is different than your's, but with my black Ford paint, it only took a quick hand wash with some Duragloss shampoo and everything is back to normal.

Mike Phillips
03-13-2012, 08:04 AM
not to disagree with any one else's posts here, but i took my black truck through the touchless a few times this winter. Upon leaving the wash, i too noticed the spotting on my black paint. The following weekend, i hand washed and dried my truck... when i was done, the spotting was gone. i had just contributed the spoting to either dirt still on the paint, or hard water, then moving my vehicle under the blow dryer as you pull out of the wash bay, thus drying the water puddles on the paint which still had some dirt in them?

I dunno, maybe my situation was and is different than your's, but with my black Ford paint, it only took a quick hand wash with some Duragloss shampoo and everything is back to normal.

Your post made me think of something...

It's possible the cleaning chemicals affected the Gold Class Wax and that's the spotty haze he's seeing? Maybe they're not chemically compatible...

Either way, a light paint cleaner or polish should restore a clear finish...

:)

duck_commander
03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
^^^ Could be possible... makes sense... i just always thought the soap they use just couldn't 'clean' the paint as good as a hand wash.

Hopefully the OP will let us know what fixed his paint.