PDA

View Full Version : How to remove glass contamination? Or is it..

Pages : [1] 2

vash68
03-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I got lots of tiny shiny spots on my car's glass, most of it is on driver side windows, and some on passenger side. I think they appeared after the car came back from bodyshop (for a bodykit installation), and of course they deny everything.

At first I though it was a stray spray of clear coat. It is not visible on paint since the car is silver.

I tried removing it with acetone, steel wool, razor blade, Autoglym glass polish (by hand), but to no avail.
If this is clear coat, should I be able to remove it?

I can not confirm that this is etching, since the spots are so tiny, but what type of chemical available in body shop would etch the glass??
And is there a way to improve/mask this problem?

The car is 2009 BMW 535
Thanks

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/vashkulat/Cars/bimmerwagen/SNC01359.jpg

Rsurfer
03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Give Car Pro's Ceri Glass a shot.

SATMAN40
03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Flitz AG sell it to clean and shine metal, used it the other day on a vet t top. about 10 bucks a tube,

szjalo
03-07-2012, 01:26 AM
few things come to my mind:
1\ try clay
2\ if you have any good band compound, give it a try before using Ceri Glass
3\ Is it tinted window? Those light spots may be the areas where the tint failed to bound very well? I saw similar things, almost all on tinted windows, kind of like a clear coat fail but on tinted layer. If that's the case, then maybe nothing you can do to "remove" it

Just my 2 cents

habeba86
03-07-2012, 01:32 AM
If steel wool and a razor couldnt get that off glass, idk how much luck youre going to have. Can you feel it at all?

Bates Detailing
03-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Try NuVite C Grade - expensive has hell - but usually gets anything off windows (used as an aluminum compound) I use this product all the time for difficult issues including but not limited to glass.... my "uh oh what else can I use" product.

Setec Astronomy
03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
OP, I don't think you mentioned, and I don't think anyone asked, are the spots raised? Can you feel them when you run your hand over the glass?

Mike Phillips
03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Don't have any idea how these pinhole dots came to be in the windshield of Max's AMG but they did, so it's possible.

How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/diamondite/40436-how-remove-tiny-pinhole-pits-glass-windows-using-rotary-buffer.html)

Tiny tiny tiny pinhole pits in the glass
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/761/MBwithPitsinGlass01.jpg

:)

vash68
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
OP, I don't think you mentioned, and I don't think anyone asked, are the spots raised? Can you feel them when you run your hand over the glass?

Good question, I am not 100% sure myself.
The dots are so small that when I run a finger over them I barely feel maybe 3 out of 20 of the dots, which leads me to believe these are tiny pits. Especially after razor blade failed to remove them.

Do I have to "level" the glass now?
Is it easy enough for a casual detailer like myself?
Will read the links provided Mike. :props: That masked AMG looks scary..
How do you get pinholes overnight on a 2 yo car?

Thanks guys for input

Rix6
03-08-2012, 03:31 AM
How do you get pinholes overnight on a 2 yo car?

Thanks guys for inputWelcome to the world of today's glass windshields! Compared to older cars, new car glass has gone soft. It doesn't take 2 years to get pitting in a new windshield, it takes two seconds behind a sand truck or less than 200 feet behind a vehicle at highway speeds on a road that has sand or some other loose, fine aggregate. Our paint's gone thinner and our glass has gone softer. It's a bad joke! At some point in the not so distant past, cars could go 100,000 miles and not see the same kind of damage from wear and tear that a new car owner can pick up in the first month of ownership. Beware that tailgating and passing unclean vehicles or even clean vehicles with sticky tires on less than clean roads puts your front glass as well as your paint at risk. Even if you're passing these vehicles so you don't get stuck in their trail of filth, you are momentarily putting your paint and glass at high risk. Sadly, perhaps the best solution is prevention in the form of staying far behind any risky car or truck. IME, if you hear stuff peppering the windshield of your new or newer car, you will see pinhole sized pitting damage as a result.

-Rick

vash68
03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the world of today's glass windshields! Compared to older cars, new car glass has gone soft. It doesn't take 2 years to get pitting in a new windshield, it takes two seconds behind a sand truck or less than 200 feet behind a vehicle at highway speeds on a road that has sand or some other loose, fine aggregate. Our paint's gone thinner and our glass has gone softer.
-Rick

I sure noticed the thinner paints, esp on BMW who now use water-based paint, and paint job quality is crap too IMHO.
I did not know about car glass, thanks for info, this is astounding :(

I do keep about double distance between me and a car in front of me comparing to an average driver out there and I only drive about 120 mi per week on highway.
BUT, I do live in CO where they use small rocks on the road instead of salt during winter... :eek:

This is my 2nd car that I bring to CO from NY after a couple of years driving them in NY/NJ or buying it used from NY.
I can tell you one thing: the car's front end paint and windshield gets pitted damage within a couple of months of driving in CO and is worse then that of driving in NY/NJ for 2-3 years!
So I became a big fan of clear bra, it really works for paint.

But I never had issues with my side windows getting small pits at the rate this BMW collected them, maybe this is specific to BMW glass?
I have 2 Acuras: 7 and 4 yo, and they do not show any damage on their side windows, WTH?

_And just to confirm, these are indeed small pits on my side windows that are shown in my OP picture _

With all that said, does it even make any sense to attempt glass leveling procedure on this BMW?
If this is all road damage (which I am still debating since it is on the sides of the car) I am afraid this fix may be very temporary solution :cry:

Rix6
03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
few things come to my mind:
1 try clay
2 if you have any good band compound, give it a try before using Ceri Glass
3 Is it tinted window? Those light spots may be the areas where the tint failed to bound very well? I saw similar things, almost all on tinted windows, kind of like a clear coat fail but on tinted layer. If that's the case, then maybe nothing you can do to "remove" it

:whs:

Oh, the pits are on the side window glass. I didn't catch that originally. Wash the windows with some detergent, rinse, and try some vinegar. Then try clay. And if that doesn't work try some compound on it like megs ultimate compound or M105. I don't know why there would be pitting in the side windows...so assume it's something bonded to the surface first, as that would be more desirable and easier to take care of then below the surface damage.

vash68
03-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Tonight I did the following

1. wiped windows with vinegar
2. ran with clay bar all over a few times
3. polished them with Meg's 150 polish using PC (random orbit) with 4" cutting pad
4. polished again with Autoglym glass polish using PC with medium pad

Nothing...no effect, I guess those are really the small pits in the glass :(

The windows are tinted from the factory very lightly plus aftermarket Formula One film from the inside.
I can tell that the film is adhered with no problems, maybe 1-2 tiny bubbles per window, but I am not sure how can factory tint be failing on the outside of the glass and creating tiny light spots? Is there any way to confirm?

Thanks guys

vash68
03-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Diamondite Glass resurfacing creme was discontinued by a manufacturer.

I am ordering CeriGlass polish instead and glass cutting pads, but every vendor out there is out of LC glass polishing pads, any tips on what I could use instead?

Mike Phillips
03-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Diamondite Glass resurfacing creme was discontinued by a manufacturer.

I am ordering CeriGlass polish instead and glass cutting pads, but every vendor out there is out of LC glass polishing pads, any tips on what I could use instead?

We carry the glass polishing discs, I just walked out into the warehouse and checked and we have both the Lake Country and the Griot's discs in stock, lots of them.

Check with Avi about your process for glass...

Avi@CarPro (sales@cquartz.com)

:xyxthumbs: