PDA

View Full Version : My achin' back.......

Pages : [1] 2 3

ssnobrakes
03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I love to detail my 2 cars and bike as a hobby. Im 54 years old and have been washing/waxing/detailing for 40 years now. Over the last year or so I have started to get alot of aches/pains/stiffness in my ankles, knees and back. Im not about to take my car somewhere to keep it clean and I will not stop cleaning my vehicles until you can take the microfiber wash mitt from my soggy, blistered fingers...........Im curious as to the ages of members of this forum, if you get aches and pains, and what you do to make detailing easier on the body........... Thanks in advance.

tw33k2514
03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
You might look into some sort of rolling seat.

I am only 22, so I havnt started feeling to bad yet. Although after a long day of polishing my back sometimes feels pretty tight.

rider9195
03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Any rolling seat would make a huge difference. Being 16 I probably don't ache as much as you. But one thing that helps me is stretch out before doing any big detailing such as polishing. Take a break during the process and loosen up your muscles. It makes a difference for me.

Bunky
03-06-2012, 06:53 PM
I would second a rolling seat. If you are bending over to do anything, you are likely aggravating the situation. You can buy padded stadium chairs to sit on the ground or low profile rollers for wheels and lower body panels. A rolling seat can help with mid to upper body sides.

Jaddie
03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Dear ssnobrakes

My wife bought an inexpensive Torin Big Red rolling chair for me a few years ago for photography. I believe she said she paid around US$20 for it. It helps a bunch.

I'm forty-two years old and have dealt with Arthur, the worst of the Ritis boys, since my twenties. I hurt after half an hour of detailing.

I'm up here in Buford. I see you're in Alpharetta. Maybe we can get together sometime.

(I was browsing your old posts and saw one you wrote to me that I don't believe I'd read. No, I haven't been to the Caffeine and Octane car shows. I'll tell my father-in-law about it and maybe we'll go together. He's the car guy.)

FUNX650
03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I love to detail my 2 cars and bike as a hobby. Im 54 years old and have been washing/waxing/detailing for 40 years now. Over the last year or so I have started to get alot of aches/pains/stiffness in my ankles, knees and back. Im not about to take my car somewhere to keep it clean and I will not stop cleaning my vehicles until you can take the microfiber wash mitt from my soggy, blistered fingers...........Im curious as to the ages of members of this forum, if you get aches and pains, and what you do to make detailing easier on the body........... Thanks in advance.

Hi there Young Man...

Each year it gets a little bit tougher for me, as well, to:
Keep going 'round&'round, and 'up&down'...But, like you, I'm going to hate to turn my vehicles over to someone else to be detailed!

These are handy to have around.

@Harbor Freight:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/MC_Lift.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/43136)

Definitely my next 'big' detailing item:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/HD-9STX-Four-Post-Lift.jpg

:)

Bob

Boozman
03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm 68 and still enjoy detailing mine and my wifes car, using a roller chair helps on the sides

FUNX650
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm 68 and still enjoy detailing mine and my wifes car, using a roller chair helps on the sides

:dblthumb2:

{PS: Nice Looking Corvette!!}

:)

Bob

Bowtie 01
03-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I know your pain. I'm 49 and had back surgery a few years ago and rely on rolling stools. They make doing the low work alot easier.

hoyt66
03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm 46 and I fight thru the pain when detailing my or my wifes car. I'm not far away

from the roller chair.

Rix6
03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi there Young Man...

Each year it gets a little bit tougher for me, as well, to:
Keep going 'round&'round, and 'up&down'...But, like you, I'm going to hate to turn my vehicles over to someone else to be detailed!

Sounds like the Winnie the Pooh stoutness exercises.

40. A long session isn't kind to my bones either. A rolling seat is very handy for these sorts of things. I have a $20 harbor freight model. They like to remain indoors when not being used, ahem. Consequently I need to repair one of the casters on mine or just get a new one. A must for working on wheels. A Gamma Seal lid on a 5 gallon bucket makes a great seat as well. Bucket dollies cost more than $20, so I haven't broken down and bought one yet. I like my dollies cheap, lol! So, my bucket seats don't roll.

I imagine a raised platform not only makes it easier to do the roof, but is more comfortable then standing on your tippy-toes.

A Master Blaster for drying your car will not only safe wear and tear on your paint, but on your body as well. It's hard to put a price on that.

You may or may not like these Hose Blockers. (http://www.autogeek.net/hose-blocker.html) They work for me and I love 'em. They help keep hoses and cords from getting stuck under the tires. Saves futile attempts at freeing said water and electricity delivery devices with tugging and cursing. Saves some wear and tear on the arms and on the neighbors' ears.

scrubs147
03-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I am 56 and I have a full time mobile detailing business. I work from 8am to 5pm, sometimes 7 days a week. I have been detailing 40 foot RVs most of the season... getting up on the roofs, polishing rims, standing on a ladder and scaffolding much of the day. I have serious back issues - I have good days and bad days. I'm on no meds and take Advil (which helps) about once a week.

The work keeps coming and I rarely get anytime off. I stretch every day and use an inversion table weekly which also helps a lot.

BWG707
03-06-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm the same age as you (54) and have had 2 back surgeries. The one thing I use the most is a cushion that I throw on the ground to kneel on and sometimes sit down on. I also use a small step stool and sometimes knee pads. After every wash I'm out of commission for about 2hrs, but it still worth it to me and I don't see myself stopping for quite a while.

daveinsweethome
03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
63 years here. all the lifted 4 x 4s i do kill me. did a 40 rv and never again. knee surgery has slowed me down. use good ladders and stop and stret ch throughout job. i forget this and pay for it. have arthritis in knees and one tennis elbow but i still love doing this. now wear a ace strap on elbow when polishing and it does work. boy do i give the jacuzzi a work out.

mark f
03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I can definitely relate, my knees are killing me after a few hours. I guess I've just given them too much hell over the years with running, moto's, cycling, etc. I've found that standing on concrete is the worse thing for your knees and back. I use a rolling stool, rubber mats and even carpet remnants to try to help. Doc told me to take fish oil and glucosamine and it seemed to help a little.

Mark